Page 1 of 2
I've been inspired the last couple a RR builds on here, they've been coming along awesomely. I've never had a Rhoads and like I said the builds on here are sweet as so i'm gonna have a blast at one.

Heres thre spec-

3 piece laminated Brazillian Mahogany through neck,
Brazillian Mahogany wings.
Ebony fingerboard, 24 frets.
Of-set MOP 5mm dot markers or a single inlay at 12th fret,
24.75 scale length,
Single EMG 81 in the bridge with afterburner,
T-O-M and string through or maybe a fixed bridge Khaler.
3 degree neck pitch and 13 degree headstock pitch.

Im undecided about the headstock, may be 3 a side.

Its either gonna be white with black bevels or black with white bevels.

Heres a pic of the neck I glued up last night-

The through neck blank is 3" wide and 6" deep so I'll get 2 necks out of it.

I'll photoshop a pic of the final thing later. Any suggestions/ideas welcome.
Maybe use passives, Bareknuckles or something super expensive because I wanna hear a soundclip

Uh, maybe a 7 string?

I dunno.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
So now you're doing one too. Sweet.

Show us how it's done, we want as many details as possible
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by WH15P3R
Maybe use passives, Bareknuckles or something super expensive because I wanna hear a soundclip

Uh, maybe a 7 string?

I dunno.

I quite fancy a baritone . . . . . . . .
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Jul 4, 2008,
Baritone RR, that'd be brutal!
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
I would totally go for a six-in-line headstock, if it was me. If you're worried about the strength of a jackon one, Mibbie an Ibanez-style one instead?
Im not sure headstock wise, might make it into a king V and have an upturned explorer headstock. . . . . . Kerry King style!
7 string baritone FTW!

This will be sweet!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Made loads of progress yesterday.

Cut the headstock angle at 13 degrees then where the end of the fingerboard meets the body theres a 3 degree angle. I've glued the extra wings on either side of the headstock and thicknessed it.

Fingerboard is cut to shape and its ready to attach to the neck once I've cut the headstock to shape.

I've thicknessed the mahogany blank, just need to print out a pic Ive scaled up to size and cut it out. Im gonna do this at work this afternoon

I'll get some pics up when I find my memory card . . . . . . . . . .
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Jul 5, 2008,
What's your job? And how much time do you get spare to work on your guitars?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I work in security at a mental hospital full time. I work opposite shifts to my other half so we do the change over in the carpark at work and I take over the baby. We only get 2 days off together each week . Its kinda hard to find time when Im at home and shes at work coz I got my daughter. I was lucky yesterday coz she just played in her playpen in the garden for a couple of hours while I was in the workshop! Not very often that happens.

I got a good pay day this month so I bought a couple of time saving devices -

Hey man that sucks about your misses and the baby, but given the chance you still obliterate the work we do in about a month in one day lol

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
lol, I have good days and bad ones. Some times I can have 3 hours at it and everything goes great and I get s**t loads done, then another day everything I do fooks up and takes me an age to put right.

Yesterday was a good day.
emg with afterburner i always wanted to try one of those out damn.
i think 6 a side was made for V's of this nature too, i cant wait to see you apply some awsome skill into a V.

good job, that neck could literally be the brother or sister of my one ( or maybe a limb). great mahogany i got from you by the way, i recommend this guy to anyone
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Nice toys! How much did they cost ya altogether then?
Quote by Liberation
Got the thicknesser for £150 instead of £300, the mitre saw for £75 instead of £150 and the bench jointer was £100. B&Q had em on offer.

I cant recommend the jointer enough. Out of the three the jointer is the most useful so far.
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Jul 5, 2008,
Not bad! Damn, I so wish I'd saved up my earnings this year from working to buy some nice tools.
Quote by Liberation
sick dude, they make a certain blade fro the jointer, mainly because blades suck dick and tear out your wood. its got like 100 little tiny razor sharp blades on it, it cuts incredibly smooth. and the blades are held in by screws, and have 4 sharp edges, so when one side gets dull, you loosten it, and give them a 1/4 turn and you have all new blades, and they last a good long time. definitely something to look into.
Right, need some advice.

Glue the wings on and get the body shaped, glue the f-board on then shape the neck.

Or-

Glue the fingerboard on, shape the neck, fret it, then glue the wings on and shape the body last?

I'm leaning towards the second option, whats everyone think?
Quote by jscustomguitars
Glue the fingerboard on, shape the neck, fret it, then glue the wings on and shape the body last?

this, but don't shape the neck completely, because it's a neckthrough and you have to do a lot of the heel shaping after the wings are on for a nice transition.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
I think black with white bevels looks better, personally.

Also, I really don't like Khaler trems, at all. They've always been a huge pain, especially with string bends (even with the bridge in fixed mode).
Got a buyer for it. . . . . . .

Heres how he wants it-

All black, no bevel colours. Single EMG 81, t-o-m and ferrules, no binding, no inlays, single volume, maybe a kill switch. Input jack on upper wing with fender style jack plate, locking sperzels.

I've thicknessed the headstock, drilled the machinehead holes.

I've decided to glue the wings on first before I shape the neck so I did that tonight.
Tomorrow im gonna cut the body to shape then probably fret it.
Nice, sounds excellent. Not too much of a fan of the colour scheme, but hey

I was thinking of a t-o-m but I like to have adjustable action for each individual string, and I couldn't find one with that.

Can't wait.
Quote by Liberation
Done **** loads today. Necks been rough carved, bodys cut out and bevels roughly done. Pick-up cavity done and I've started on the control cavity.

Fretting next. . . . . . . . . .

Quote by thedonutman
That's looking very good.

Two quick questions:

1. What do you use for neck carving? Rasp+spokeshave?
2. How did you do the bevels?

Just a rasp and a spoke shave yeah.

Just did the bevels with the rasp till it looked and felt right then neatened it up with sanpaper and a sanding block. Pretty straight forward.
Quote by -MintSauce-

Edit: Glad to hear that it's already sold, too.

Me too! lol

The artist relation bloke at Peavey's been on about getting one from me for ages but never commited, I started this build and emailed him to say I was starting his guitar then forwarded some pics of the rosewood build and he said he was up for it.
This is an absolutely stunning build! Can't wait to see it finished! Boo to all black though, it would have been nice in an oil finish.

...well, that or blinding-hot purple with day-glow yellow bevels, of course!
hey JS, what size dowel holes you use to locate your board?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I dont use dowels.

With a little care and so long as all your clamping surfaces are square you can line it all up spot on.
looks awsome man, i know absolutely everyone always asks you this but im genuinely interested in how much you sold this for ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
what are those 2 little holes in your board and the body?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Page 1 of 2