Poll Options
View poll results: STRAT OR TELE
Stratocaster
69 54%
Telecaster
59 46%
Voters: 128.
Page 1 of 2
Im not sure if this has been on here before but i thought it would be a great forum!!

So which do you prefer??? Personally i have never played a tele and i own 3 strats! But i love teles (although i hated them at the start of this year [2008])

In this forum you can write, fight and argue about which guitar you prefer. I don't care!!!

You can also post pics of your own guitars!

Put whatever you want on here about strats or teles or some other random subject..... once again i don't care

Happy writing stuff...
I prefere the way strats look, but i prefere the way teles play, which is more important in my opinion.
Ive got custom shop versions of both

i got the eric clapton strat which i have to say is the best strat ive ever played the action is low the pickups are great and the boost is brilliant

I got a custom shop Noisless Telecaster which has noisless pickups
i like it but i prefer the sound on the strat cause ive worn it in over the years.

Can post pics if you want
=========

Nathnialm

====
Quote by melchiah
Superstrats > Strats > Teles.

wrong way round

> means better than
i think you mean

Teles > Strats > Superstrats
Rockin' shit
Quote by jimmyhotpants
wrong way round

> means better than
i think you mean

Teles > Strats > Superstrats

Nope. I had it right first time

Superstrat -better than- Strat -better than- Tele
Quote by SilentMoose
I personally think teles are one of the ugliest guitars in existance.

I agree with this statement.
Strats all the way! Best guitar ever made!

I want a strat with H-S-S Configuration and an original floyd rose. Would be great!

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by KISSguitarist
Strats all the way! Best guitar ever made!

I want a strat with H-S-S Configuration and an original floyd rose. Would be great!

So, a superstrat with a single coil instead of 2 humbuckers?
Quote by melchiah
Nope. I had it right first time

Superstrat -better than- Strat -better than- Tele

It's no wonder you're a metalhead. I love my telecaster, but I appreciate Strats for what they are anywho.
Wow split 50/50, I picked tele for tone, but strat looks better
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

I prefer Teles. Here's why.

-Trems are too much of a hassle to maintain.
-The bridge pickup of a tele just has more balls than that of a strat.
-The controls are farther away from your hand on a tele, making it much harder to accidentaly switch pickups or turn a knob while playing.

Please keep in mind that this is all my opinion and is in no way intended to suggest that one guitar is "better" than the other. Like someone already said, it's apples and oranges.
fat strats!!
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I'll take 10 of each.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I actually like Superteles more than Superstrats, but they're just so... rare.

However, on the sub-super plain, I prefer a Strat to a Tele.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by captain_jack
I prefer Teles. Here's why.

-Trems are too much of a hassle to maintain.
-The bridge pickup of a tele just has more balls than that of a strat.
-The controls are farther away from your hand on a tele, making it much harder to accidentaly switch pickups or turn a knob while playing.

Please keep in mind that this is all my opinion and is in no way intended to suggest that one guitar is "better" than the other. Like someone already said, it's apples and oranges.

+1, i like tele better due to the simplicity of the structure. i personally prefer hard tail rather then trem due to my hand pick positioning.
I've only owned a Squier Strat Standard & a JT Tele Dlx & I prefer the Strat.I do like my Ibanez maple body SS more than either of those though.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
I llike the look of teles, but a lot of people tell me that it is harder to shred on a tele than a strat. Any clarifications or details?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I always recognized Strats as versatile and nice guitars, but I never really liked how they played. I love how Teles play, and I think they look much better too. Also, Teles have a fun sound that's pretty unique, but also much less versatile than that of Strats.

Also, I noticed there weren't any instrument pics here yet:

crazy talking animals
I prefer playing a Telecaster.

Much more versatile than a Strat too, if you get the right one.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Both guitars are very, very beautiful if you get the classic styles. It's almost hard to say which is better looking. But all-in-all, it comes down to the Telecaster. Unique, and as no one has yet mentioned, the first production solidbody electric ever created.

Quote by Phill-Rock
I prefer playing a Telecaster.

Much more versatile than a Strat too, if you get the right one.

Less "versatile" in my opinion, but you can use it for any style of music, and it will add its personality into that music. The strat can create almost any sound, but the tele is brimming with personality.
_______
|||||||||||||||
^Well, I find a Tele with the right pickups plays metal better than a Strat with the right pickups.

And you can still switch back to blues, rock or indie with no problem.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

^ But it plays Tele-Metal. That's my point. The guitar can play anything, but it adds the Tele style. And that's the best thing a guitar can do. Adding the Tele-style.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Oh yeah, true.

I love playing lead and top string chords etc. on the Tele for that very reason.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Out of everything I own, which is too much, it's the guitar I always pick up first. And then I compare all the others to it. And then I put those down and repeat the first step.

I need to fix my bridge pickup right now because it sounds really flat (I changed to Samarium Cobalt Noiseless) and I might have left the bridge pickup too low when I put the bridge back on. But the neck pickup sounds great, with strat-style cleans, and the middle is so twangy and nice. Any clean-based style of music sounds great on that middle pickup.

Makes me wanna go turn on my VOX right now, but it's 1:26 AM, and the sleeping family might not approve
_______
|||||||||||||||
^ What are you doing this late up?

And to keep this on topic, nobody has really answered my question. I have gotten a lot of comments that the tele is not as varied as the strat. Is this truw and why is it? Why can I not hypothetically shred on a tele?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp

And to keep this on topic, nobody has really answered my question. I have gotten a lot of comments that the tele is not as varied as the strat. Is this truw and why is it? Why can I not hypothetically shred on a tele?

Well it's 2:04 now!

You could shred on a tele. I find my tele and strats to be definitely comparable in quickness. It all comes down to the fretboard wood, really, for these guitars. My rosewood-board strat is a little slower than the maple tele and maple strat.

The tele will play any style of music, and if you get the right tele for what you want, you can get any tone out of it. I personally tend not to stray too far away from the traditional tele setup of pickups, because I love the tele tone (and look). Try an American Standard or MIM or whatever is in your price range (if you were even looking at them) for any style of music, and you can make it work. The only "lack" of variety is that a tele tends to sound like a tele. But you could look at a 72 deluxe tele, which has 2 humbuckers, or some teles which have a humbucker at the neck and a single at the bridge.

The tele is actually an EXTREMELY versatile guitar.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by dannyisokay

The tele is actually an EXTREMELY versatile guitar.

Yeah but again, it comes down to which Tele you end up buying. My Tele Standard can't suddenly produce the sound that the dual humbucking Tele Deluxe can produce. And vice versa, a Tele with humbuckers isn't going to have the classic twang of a standard. Yes, the Tele is versatile in the fact that there are a lot of different setups out there (much like the Strat) but I'm not going to crank up the distortion and play metal on my standard like I would be able to on a model with heavier humbuckers. I just won't be able to get any sort of decent sound.

Ultimately, I think the Tele sound (and even Strat sound) is very specific, and while it can be applied to a variety of types of play, there are a lot of things that many of the models of Tele can't do.
crazy talking animals
Quote by kranoscorp

You must be asking the wrong people then. Theres no reason why you can't "shred" on the tele. As long as you have the right amp and the right pickups a Tele will sound as metal as single coils can be (Or even more so with the '72 HH Deluxe).

Both are incredibly versatile guitars, and whatever one can do; the other probably could as well. The reason why theres this misconception is because the Strat has 3 pickups and 5 selectors to the Tele's 2 and 3 respectively.
Tele > Strat

Im not a strat fan at all considering how much of a fender fangirl i am.

I just love the twang of teles, the feel, the play the look. Strats are far too boring in comparison.
Page 1 of 2