Page 1 of 3
I've discovered that some of my most disliked bands actually have some of my most liked guitar tones.

For example, listen to Hawthorne Heights... Any song.

Pure Triple Rectifier and Stiletto Trident

Listen to Fall Out Boy, especially their older songs.

Pure Dual Rectifier

This is just two examples. These emo guys really know their gear ;]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PdDPrwIwhI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i977muV6Ts8
Good examples. Especially the second video around 2:40.

Also, the bass actually sound good too!

Well, it's about 6:20 am, so this is all I could come up with haha :]

Any comments?
Disagreements?

Whatever, just post
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Jul 4, 2008,
Yes, but Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, SRV and Opeth also have amazing tones.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
Yes, but Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, SRV and Opeth also have amazing tones.

That's true, but it's expected. Legendary bands are expected to have legendary gear.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I agree. MCR has some of the best guitar tones i've heard.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by Attack
I agree. MCR has some of the best guitar tones i've heard.

+1.
Black parade has real nice guitar sounds, thanks to the JCM 900/800 and a Bogner (for lead tones).
Even some nice playing too.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Haha wow one of my threads gets more than 3 replies

That song "Teenagers" by MCR has a really realllly nice tone to it.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by chase312
Haha wow one of my threads gets more than 3 replies

That song "Teenagers" by mCR has a really realllly nice tone to it.

+1.
I like that tone too.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Evanescence. Dislike the band, pretty heavy/sweet tone though.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick

heck yeah! Heavier tone than most metal bands I know.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Yeah, MCR's guitarist isn't that bad either, even though they get bashed for nothing. :P
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Yeah, MCR's guitarist isn't that bad either, even though they get bashed for nothing. :P

I know :]

They're just different, and people should understand that more. They're all great musicians.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by DrNick

yeh one of her songs, named something like, bring me to life, or some ****, there is this ****ing sweet tone used on the solo, it made me cum.
Quote by ambush_xx
They also have good sound egineers to assist them....

What would a sound engineer do?

I used to be a touring technician, and i had no influence on how an amp sounded. I just set them up.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet

exactly. people say "L0LzZz i aM SoOo mUcH BeTtEr ThAn McR ShxT GuItArIsT." I tell them: listen to both solos in "Dead!" and some of his "background" solos while theres singing ESPECIALLY in "House of Wolves" and "Welcome to the Black Parade." Then you know he definitely isnt a **** guitarist

EDIT: o i forgot to add some of his older solos: You Know What They Do to Guys Like Us in Prison has one of his best solos and definitely will shut up most haters on here.
Last edited by One on Sunday at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by One on Sunday
exactly. people say "L0LzZz i aM SoOo mUcH BeTtEr ThAn McR ShxT GuItArIsT." I tell them: listen to both solos in "Dead!" and some of his "background" solos while theres singing ESPECIALLY in "House of Wolves" and "Welcome to the Black Parade." Then you know he definitely isnt a **** guitarist

+1
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
A lot of guys on here will refuse to give these guys any sort of ground. Whether its "they write **** songs" or "their engineers set up their tone" or "I can play better than that guy". It really is ridiculous after a certain point.

That said, I really enjoy Fall Out Boy's tone on Take This to Your Grave (especially the pros and cons of breathing). Jade Puget has cool taste as well: Les Pauls into Plexis/800s = classic.

The third channel of my roadster is set up for that tone.
Last edited by colin617 at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by colin617
A lot of guys on here will refuse to give these guys any sort of ground. Whether its "they write **** songs" or "their engineers set up their tone" or "I can play better than that guy". It really is ridiculous after a certain point.

That said, I really enjoy Fall Out Boy's tone on Take This to Your Grave (especially the pros and cons of breathing). Jade Puget has cool taste as well: Les Pauls into Plexis/800s = classic.

The third channel of my roadster is set up for that tone.

I completely forgot about AFI but now that I think, he does have a really nice set up as well.

Quote by papersun87
Can't stand Nickelback, but I think they have some fantastic rhythm tones.

Yeah, they're hooked up with Mesa.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Those bands sound good on record because their records are always very well produced. And I expect they have good sound techs too.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Those bands sound good on record because their records are always very well produced. And I expect they have good sound techs too.

That's true,

But youtube all of these band names.

They still have those same rigs on stage and they still sound really really good.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Fall Out Boy's Joe Trohman actually uses Orange Rockerverbs on stage now. Just sayin'.

I haven't really kept up with them in a while, but I'm sure that it sounds amazing :]
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Yeah.

I dunno, I like them. I don't understand the flack they get, other than the rabid popularity they have with the younger kids and girls in particular. FOB seems to be a more talented and creative band than a lot of the **** on the radio, like Nickelback, Hawthorne Heights, Boys Like Girls, Cute is What We Aim For, etc...I think of them as a hard rock band than more of the other pop punk bands in their genre.
Anywaaay.
Quote by timi_hendrix
^^ Sound techs

I'd expect those bands to sound excellent given how popular they are.

but still My Chemical Romance's Ray Toro (lead guitar) does not only sound good, he plays very well technically too.
Quote by One on Sunday
but still My Chemical Romance's Ray Toro (lead guitar) does not only sound good, he plays very well technically too.

I never said anything about them not playing well, I just said the fact that their sound is good is most likely down to the technicians they have around them.

My Music
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Which could be said about any professional musician and recording artist.

And?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
And?

He's just trying to say that good tone is good tone, regardless of whether it's MCR's guitar tech setting up their rig, or Eric Johnson spending 1000 hours of his own time tweaking his amps.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, not always.
I really like Motion City Soundtrack, but their second CD, Commit This to Memory, IMO was terrible produced by Mark Hoppus (of Blink 182 fame). Not enough MOOG!!

+10000
you can barely hear it in a lot of songs!
and when you do it's awesome.
MCS sound awesome live though
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by timi_hendrix
I never said anything about them not playing well, I just said the fact that their sound is good is most likely down to the technicians they have around them.

ok i thought you were implying that its the technitians that do "all the work" for them and thats why we think theyre good.
Quote by papersun87
Can't stand Nickelback, but I think they have some fantastic rhythm tones.

I agree.

I'm Canadian and I can guarantee you that no one up here can stand Nickelback either.
Well what i can say is that i dont like those bands not one bit.
i think there all crap, just crap.

i just dont like pop punk because i dont know i just dont like it.

But you cant argue with the tone those guys have they play good to really mean **** but just the way they go about it i just dont like it.

i just dont like them id prefer MGMT, or underground punk(the real punk by the way), or the Acid house stuff witch UK UGers might me more familiar with. the cramps, velvet underground, the stooges, spaceman three, the white stripes new stuff is just phenomanal tough i think threre doing a good job, RHCP.

But POP-punk or emo oe whatever i just dont like, thats cool that you like em but im not ganna call you a fag or anything.

When people say that there **** there just saying that cause tonally they might sound awesome but from a musical stand point thats just an opinion.

some could say the beatles are ****, or ACDC, or metalica, or the stones who gives a ****.
Last edited by blabermouth5 at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by blabermouth5
Well what i can say is that i dont like those bands not one bit.
i think there all crap, just crap.

i just dont like pop punk because i dont know i just dont like it.

But you cant argue with the tone those guys have they play good to really mean **** but just the way they go about it i just dont like it.

i just dont like them id prefer MGMT, or underground punk(the real punk by the way), or the Acid house stuff witch UK UGers might me more familiar with. the cramps, velvet underground, the stooges, spaceman three, the white stripes new stuff is just phenomanal tough i think threre doing a good job, RHCP.

But POP-punk or emo oe whatever i just dont like, thats cool that you like em but im not ganna call you a fag or anything.

When people say that there **** there just saying that cause tonally they might sound awesome but from a musical stand point thats just an opinion.

some could say the beatles are ****, or ACDC, or metalica, or the stones who gives a ****.

Right.

I caught all that.
Page 1 of 3