I have an ibanez rg321ex and its like i have to retune the guitar every fcking day...is it normal with hardtail guitars or its just me with a problem? ive just put some new string on so it could effect the tuning a bit and also does bad wiring around the tuning peg makes any problem? My G string is tight but just not wired around the peg properly does it matter?
Firstly, did you stretch the strings when you put them on.
Secondly, if the problem was there before the new strings, you'll be needing some new tuning pegs
Thirdly, yes, putting the strings on wrongly can affect the way it stays in tune

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
the string is just not wired properly but its really tight doesnt look like it will make a problem but still...
Quote by blind.quardian
I have an ibanez rg321ex and its like i have to retune the guitar every fcking day...is it normal with hardtail guitars or its just me with a problem? ive just put some new string on so it could effect the tuning a bit and also does bad wiring around the tuning peg makes any problem? My G string is tight but just not wired around the peg properly does it matter?

1) It's normal for a guitar to not stay perfectly in tune after a day. Since you don't say the degree to which is goes out of tune, I can only assume it's just going out a bit. To be honest, I never ever just 'play' my guitar without tuning it first, if it's not been played for a day. It's probably nothing to do with your hardtail, or even your guitar. You may just be having unreasonable expectations from your guitar.

2) Yes, the way you wind the string around the tuning post does matter. If it doesn't look like this:

You're doing it wrong.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Jul 4, 2008,
All 5 of my strings looks like this expect the G string. the end is still cut neatly but its not
wired well
no all of them has the problem. not big problem in fact like 1/10 of one step it goes out of tune. but G goes 1.25/10 not very big difference it could just be because of the nature of that string cos i remember the G was having more problems than any other string before too!.
Quote by kyle62
What methods have you tried? You've gotta really stretch those strings when you put em on. Also try powdered graphite or vaseline (I use a mixture of the two) in the nut slot and possibly bridge saddles. Next time you restring, cut the string shorter so you don't have to do more than two or three winds around the post.

Copied from another similar thread. Hardtails should hold their tuning fine, though the bridge itself isn't normally the cause of tuning problems unless it's loose or something. The machineheads on the low-end Ibanezes are poor though, you can get a set of Grover Rotomatics for about £30/$55, so that's your best bet if you plan on using the guitar regularly.
Quote by blind.quardian
no all of them has the problem. not big problem in fact like 1/10 of one step it goes out of tune. but G goes 1.25/10 not very big difference it could just be because of the nature of that string cos i remember the G was having more problems than any other string before too!.

that's fairly normal for it to do that just from playing, if it really bothers you I suggest you get locking tuners.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
if the strings are not properly locked they will not hold tune. and it's not normal for them to go outta tune . once the strings have streched they should hold their tune if your guitar is in good shape. incorrect stringing is most of the time the problem.

www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by mmjohn
if the strings are not properly locked they will not hold tune. and it's not normal for them to go outta tune . once the strings have streched they should hold their tune if your guitar is in good shape. incorrect stringing is most of the time the problem.

www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

Even if you string it properly, depending on your playing style and the quality of the tuners it's not that abnormal for the strings to detune slightly during the course of being played, if you hit the strings hard, they will go out of tune slightly after playing for awhile.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Even if you string it properly, depending on your playing style and the quality of the tuners it's not that abnormal for the strings to detune slightly during the course of being played, if you hit the strings hard, they will go out of tune slightly after playing for awhile.

maybe you guitar.
Quote by mmjohn
maybe you guitar.

No, it's true. The harder you pick the faster it's likely to detune, if only minutely. And as I discovered yesterday - windmilling, Townshend-style, will knock even a rock-solid Tele out of tune very quickly indeed
Guitars will change their tuning a little just from sitting. 1/10th out of tune isnt a whole lot. And as the strings get older it will get out of tune slightly. So it sounds like you just have the unrealistic expectation a guitar will stay perfectly in tune for weeks.
you should do a final tuning after playing a few minutes to warm the strings or play for a few minutes then tune. cold string do cause variables in tuning.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 4, 2008,