ok.
me and my mate just made a sweet as riff on guitar
and i was thinking if we added lyrics/drums to it
where we meant to make the lyrics up before the guitars?

like for instance

starting off with vocals
then make a guitar that fits with that
then drums/ bass

all im trying to say really is,
is there an order needed to create a song?
No, ther eis no order needed. Only if you like to.. Sometimes I start with a riff than make lyrics and the rest, but sometimes i start with lyrics... So it's your choice really!
hehe. i remember a friend once telling me that you HAVE to write the lyrics first, otherwise your song will sound like crap.

but, as hiyu here pointed out, no, there is no formula. i've written songs in both directions (music first then lyrics, and lyrics then set them to music) and they all sound equally like crap.

hehehe. partial jk...
To know death, you have to f*ck life in the gallbladder...
^you forgot the tambourine. how can you have a hit without the tambourine?
To know death, you have to f*ck life in the gallbladder...
*reported*
Wrong forum, move this to techniques.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
tbh im also interested in knowing how to arrange songs. ive been experimenting and eventually il get in on my own but id like some assistance. for example, how many times should i repeat a riff and how many should there be in your average song?
there is no designated amount of times that you MUST repeat a riff. if there was, every song in the world would be almost exactly the same. i use 4/4 a lot. been trying to break out of that, and every here and there i do, but i feel most comfortable in that.

no thing, i would love to tell you about 4/4, but im not much of a music theory guy. ill do my best though haha. the best way i know how to put it is that 4/4 means there are 4 beats in every bar and 4 bars in every measure. i really hope im not wrong, heh. if anyone else can describe that better, please, be my guest!

my advice would to listen to some other songs. listen to some simple songs that arent too complicated and listen to hows many times they play through each riff. notice that there are different riffs for each part of the song, ie. for a verse, chorus, bridge, etc. the best way i can explain is to try and listen to some simple songs and see how other people do it, and then try it yourself. you just gotta feel it man.
It doesn't make a difference how it's done. Metallica would sometimes come up with names for songs to give them an idea of what they wanna do. Obviously it worked pretty well for them.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
*reported*
Wrong forum, move this to techniques.

Is that really neccessary to "report someone" Gawl!!!!!!
Quote by bdof
Is that really neccessary to "report someone" Gawl!!!!!!

Yes... because they're the rules that stop the forum for posting actual lyrical/poetic/prose content fill up with techniques threads?
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!