I have problems in counting them. Can anyone help me with quarter note triplets? If I count them while tapping my foot, I get lost with the count.
-When you have eliminated all which is impossible,then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

-PRS Tremonti SE with SD SH-1 '59 (Neck) and SD Distortion (Bridge)

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
A good way to count quarter note triplets is to use eighth note triplets.

I have no idea how to use notation here but I'll try to explain. The easiest way is to count out eighth note triplets where the quarters triplets are.

8ths: One - trip - let Two - trip - let
play: One -------- let---------trip

I hope that helps. I got it perfectly in my mind but explaining it to someone else is a totally different matter
Gear
Agile Septor 7
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone G-400
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Peavey Classic 50
Last edited by FuriousRyder at Jul 4, 2008,
I'm not sure if this will help but this is how I was taught to do them. Count it out by saying/thinking "triplet" but say it like "trip-o-let" so it has three parts, then just time it up so their evenly spaced and you say the "trip" part on the 1/4 note beat.
If it helps any, it's generally OK to make the middle note a little longer, so that it almost becomes a syncopated eighth-quarter-eighth rhythm.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by firebreath07
If it helps any, it's generally OK to make the middle note a little longer, so that it almost becomes a syncopated eighth-quarter-eighth rhythm.

That wouldn't be a triplet, in a triplet all three notes are the same length. Maybe if the piece said syncopated feel then you could, but otherwise playing that would be wrong.

To TS, try tapping your foot while playing 3 evenly timed notes. Also, as someone else said, play while saying tri-ple-let or other 3 sylable words.
What I would do is say it "trip-o-let" say 'trip' when you tap your foot down, 'o' when you lift your foot, and 'let' when you tap your foot back down. Exagerate your foot movement slightly until you get the feel for it and don't have to think about it as much.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel