The thing is, all my fingers are double jointed.

So it`s really hard for me to move my fingers fast and smoothly.

I can play chords perfectly but soloing is really hard.

I practice scales, I can play them slow but not fast.
start a random lick slowly and them start to build up the speed
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Double-jointedness is a myth, stop making excuses and practice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I was about to say that
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Agreed.

Practice, practice, practice.... there is no way around it.

Personally, I'm glad there's no easy way around it. Makes you earn your stripes. Plus, it gives new appreciation for what your favorite guitar god is doing when you watch them do something amazing.
Standard Fender Strat Electron Blue
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30W

Cause I'm tired of playing the air guitar.
Alot of people try to play fast right away or dont practice correctly and so they can never build up speed. What you need to do is slow the speed down ALOT and take out your metronome. I usually start something at about 40 - 50 bpm and play it over and over again. You also have to be very accurate while practicing so if you are still messing up alot at a super slow speed slow it down even more. Then after practicing it for a couple of weeks you should be able to build up more speed. Depending on how difficult of a solo you are trying to tackle it could take months to get it up to the correct speed.

Just remember that there are no short cuts to playing fast.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

+1
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
am all one fer speed cause am a metal player so obviously it goes with the territory but ,,,, so what? at the risk of jumping on the bandwagon speed is not the deciding factor in the quality of ones playing its learning to be creative and spee should merely be a secondary skill that you can incorparate into your playing so dont go mental and panic cause you cant play like steve vai just build the speed up gradually over time
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
you could try economy picking maybe..?
so you play 12 14 15 on every string ( 3 notes each string going up )
down stroke, up stroke, down on every string going up
that way every time you finish the 3 notes your pick is already touching the next string so there's no pause in between your notes
this will take practise but it works
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09
Practice. Pentatonic scales and chromatic scales. Practice Slowy and Smoothly picking up and down.`Ur not ready for solos yet
There are imperfections that make it harder to maneuver your fingers for some people. There are ways around it, the only remedy is practice.
Dude... Nevermind that person saying double jointed is a myth. I'm double jointed and got hung up on the same problem for a long time when I was learning... It seemed like no matter what I tried, I was stuck at this point because it was a physical issue (my fingers) not a learning issue (my brain). I stumbled upon a course I downloaded that was way better than the one I bought at the music store. I'd give it a try, I picked up my skill real fast once I got this and it taught me so much. http://www.teamguitarcourse.com/
Quote by Rockband08
Dude... Nevermind that person saying double jointed is a myth. I'm double jointed and got hung up on the same problem for a long time when I was learning... It seemed like no matter what I tried, I was stuck at this point because it was a physical issue (my fingers) not a learning issue (my brain). I stumbled upon a course I downloaded that was way better than the one I bought at the music store. I'd give it a try, I picked up my skill real fast once I got this and it taught me so much. http://www.teamguitarcourse.com/

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-double-jointed.htm

Double jointed-ness is a myth, what it actually means is that your fingers should be more mobile than normal people.

Suck it up and practice, there is no other way.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-double-jointed.htm

Double jointed-ness is a myth, what it actually means is that your fingers should be more mobile than normal people.

Suck it up and practice, there is no other way.

The term itself is not quite a myth - I always understod it to simply mean that your joints flexed both ways and that's fairly common. Like you said though, all that does is increase mobility.

I've never actually heard of the "other" , incorrect, meaning of the term, namely having "double" the amount of joints.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The term itself is not quite a myth - I always understod it to simply mean that your joints flexed both ways and that's fairly common. Like you said though, all that does is increase mobility.

I've never actually heard of the "other" , incorrect, meaning of the term, namely having "double" the amount of joints.

Well I suppose 'myth' is kind of the wrong word; it's more of a huge misnomer that everyone assumes to be a scientifically accurate name. The correct term would be 'hypermobility' I believe; it's got to do with the tendons and muscles around the joint in question rather than the actual joint itself.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well I suppose 'myth' is kind of the wrong word; it's more of a huge misnomer that everyone assumes to be a scientifically accurate name. The correct term would be 'hypermobility' I believe; it's got to do with the tendons and muscles around the joint in question rather than the actual joint itself.

Yeah, that's pretty much accurate. I don't think I've ever seen someone say double jointed in just what the name says it is.

Sometimes people who are double jointed can't move fast and be accurate because their tendons and ligaments sometimes snap (not break) past a certain point to bend further. When it snaps there is a gap of space that you can't really get to because your finger keeps snaping right by it.

It's very hard to explain, but I've seen it with a few people before and I have it in my index finger.
I'm "double-jointed" and it doesn't help one damn bit. When I pull my fingers back like during a pull-off or something, if my fingers go back to far, they pop. What happens is, the one joint that was there before, splits into two joints. So actually, the term double jointed is correct in my case. It makes it very difficult to play fast. So I decided to concentrate on accuracy. Its much better to be precise than to be able to play something insanely fast. But I must say, wherever you guys are getting your information, you are greatly misinformed. Ask anyone who is double jointed.
I have a near opposite problem, the last joint in my fingers do not bend, the tendon doesn't go into the last bone. But despite that problem, I continue to make progress through practicing.
Quote by --LP--
So actually, the term double jointed is correct in my case.

No, it really isn't; at no point does the joint actally split in two. It's just one joint that extends too far because your tendons aren't tight enough, the correct term is still "hypermobility".

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
buid up the muscles in your fingers with slow, accurate exercises. Metronome, slowly 157093265 times a day. [there or there abouts] and increase it by 10bpm each day or two days.

Speed is a by product of accuracy.

fast clean runs are some of the best sounding guitar tricks, faster sloppy are the worst.

Try :

e|-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1-----------------------------------------
b|---------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------4-3-2-1---------------------------------
g|-------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------4-3-2-1-------------------------
d|-----------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-----------------
a|---------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1---------
e|-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-

e|--------------------
b|--------------------
g|--------------------    ect. :P
d|--------------------
a|---------2-3-4-5----
e|-2-3-4-5------------
Ibanez RGR08LTD
Spear Gladius [with BKP Nailbombs] (soon)

Peavey valve king 212
Orange 212 cab

Pedals of assorted typed
Quote by Swami
I have a near opposite problem, the last joint in my fingers do not bend, the tendon doesn't go into the last bone. But despite that problem, I continue to make progress through practicing.

V. good for you
it's not good to make excuses about this. practice is what it's all about!
well done again
Ibanez RGR08LTD
Spear Gladius [with BKP Nailbombs] (soon)

Peavey valve king 212
Orange 212 cab

Pedals of assorted typed