My girlfriend's birthday is coming up, and I want to get her an amp for a present. She's still a beginner, but I want something good. I was thinking of a Roland Cube, as I've heard good things about the distortion on them.

However, I dont know which wattage to get. Is there really that much difference between 15, 20, or 30 solid state watts? Which would you recommend, or which other amps would you suggest?

Like I said, she's still a beginner, and she plays rock and a little metal (weezer, bullet for my valentine, three days grace).
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
check out a vox valvetronix
those are really good
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
yeah, the valvetronix are better imho, thats why I got one.. the 30 should be fine because it has a wattage switch that controls the pre-amp... so you can crack the wattage to the pre-amp down and get more distortion at lower levels of playing..
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
Bought mine the Valve Jr combo.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
with the cubes, the higher wattage you go on the amp, the more sounds you can get. I would not recommend the 15 watt one because the knobs and controls on it are extremely basic, there is no eq or any effects on it.

I would suggest the 20 watt version as you get more amp models, an eq, and all those cool effects.

The 30 watt version of the cube has more amp models compared to the 20 watt version, thats pretty much it.

Really its up to you, I would just say stay away from the 15 watt one.
I just saw the Micro Cube on sale at Guitar Center for $80.00.

Nice little amp for a beginner who likes to play a little metal.
SRV R.I.P.
lovely valves...

tiny terror combo
epi valve junior combo
blackheart

mmmm lovely valves...
Thank you please.
Valve Jr + Metal Muff!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Orange crush 30 watt

Sounds absolutley fantastic and its loud as hell......
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by deadlydunc
lovely valves...

tiny terror combo
epi valve junior combo
blackheart

mmmm lovely valves...

I like all these 5w valve ideas people are throwing around. Those amps will teach her to actually use her tone and volume knobs, something most beginners never do.
Quote by scooby snacks
yeh definately get her a small tube.

**** that moddeling **** off forth with.

She'll probably have more fun with the Cube.

What's her power needs? Will she want to jam with it, or just sound good at home? Because for me, it would be between the Microcube and the Cube 30. Neither the 15 or 20 is as good as either of those.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Ackj
My girlfriend's birthday is coming up, and I want to get her an amp for a present. She's still a beginner, but I want something good. I was thinking of a Roland Cube, as I've heard good things about the distortion on them.

However, I dont know which wattage to get. Is there really that much difference between 15, 20, or 30 solid state watts? Which would you recommend, or which other amps would you suggest?

Like I said, she's still a beginner, and she plays rock and a little metal (weezer, bullet for my valentine, three days grace).

Get her a Vox DA5, it's pretty similar to the Microcube but comes in pretty colours so you can get her a pink one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com