Ok so i dont know if this is the right forum section but i was wondering wats the best way to record a full band, like at practice or a gig. I had a regular digital camera and got this for one of our gigs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWP7hf_MIWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spDNUhShEz8

I really dont care about the picture as much. But the sound is horrible. My drummers cymbals override all the other sound. Is wat i need a condenser mic?

And would those small hand held recorders work. This is one i'm looking at.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ZOO-H4-LIST

I forgot where i saw it first but i read somewhere that it also had a camera hookup to match up the sound or something. but if not thats fine i can always edit videos.

So basically i'm asking whats the best way to record live sound with video? I'm more worried about the sound part tho.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
If you're wanting a live show recorded, you should talk to the sound guy because you're gonna want the sound out of the mixer, not from the stage.

Then you just sync it with the video.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I was going to suggest the little Zoom actually. A single condenser mic in the right place will capture the band pretty faithfully. It won't sound great due to reflections in the room itself but it's a long way from the crappy little condenser mics built into digicams. For gigs it'll work well, if you want to record practices to use as a demo, try and absorb some of the sound with sheets, carpet, whatever you can, so you can process it properly later.
Quote by kyle62
I was going to suggest the little Zoom actually. A single condenser mic in the right place will capture the band pretty faithfully. It won't sound great due to reflections in the room itself but it's a long way from the crappy little condenser mics built into digicams. For gigs it'll work well, if you want to record practices to use as a demo, try and absorb some of the sound with sheets, carpet, whatever you can, so you can process it properly later.

so a zoom recorder should do it? with drums and all.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
I've got great results recording live bands by attaching 3 condensers onto the lighting bar, at a 45 degree angel directed toward the stage, and have a separate mixer just to the side of the stage. You'd wanna be carefull though, if you aren't experienced in rigging equipment onto bars you could have a condenser dropping on someones head. If you want advice on how to do this pm me.
The Zoom recorder is what we use (the H2) for our rehearsals and it is a good little unit. You won't make retail-ready recordings with it, but for critiquing rehearsals and that sort of thing.... tough to beat.

Generally you DON'T want a feed to a recorder direct from the mix station unless you are getting a feed from each individual track and going into an interface that can keep each individual track separate until you can mix them later. Board mixes sound great in the room, but suck unbelievably when sent to tape.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
The Zoom recorder is what we use (the H2) for our rehearsals and it is a good little unit. You won't make retail-ready recordings with it, but for critiquing rehearsals and that sort of thing.... tough to beat.

Generally you DON'T want a feed to a recorder direct from the mix station unless you are getting a feed from each individual track and going into an interface that can keep each individual track separate until you can mix them later. Board mixes sound great in the room, but suck unbelievably when sent to tape.

CT

yeah thanks. all we want is a simple record and listen thing. then maybe convert to mp3 on the computer.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Quote by kyle62

It wont sound amazing but yea a single condenser mic in the sweet spot will work for a full band.
I just recorded two guitars and vocals tonight using a Frostex MR8 MKII and Shure SM57 taped to the mic stand...sounded fair.

I suggest something like the MXL 991 small condenser mic...and a small recorder with fair preamps on board (The MR8 has cheap sounding preamps as they need to be cranked...)

You could also try something like the Zoom H2 or H4 units...
The older Zoom has XLR inputs at the bottom which would be nice if you put the mics up on stands in front of the band or something...
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 6, 2008,
yeah so far the zoom h4 is what i'm looking into. and the vocals and guitars arent the real problem. its everything together with the drummer. if you went to the links i put up you can see (or hear) what i'm talking about.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
I'm on my laptop sitting in NC at this time but will be back home at the end of the day. I'll have a listen on the good speakers when I get home and see what I think. My thought is you would want to try to get some somewhat directional mics as the drums will tend to overpower everything if you use one or two condensers anywhere in the room...
Quote by NSHSpolevault
yeah thanks. all we want is a simple record and listen thing. then maybe convert to mp3 on the computer.

The Zoom recorder even records directly to mp3 as one of its settings. No converting required!

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

yea it's the camera being overloaded with sound from the gear. you can hardly make out any music...
Try to turn everything down a little and play the drums slightly quieter and use one of the Zooms to record.

It will be hard to get a nice mix if recording in one take with one recorder. You all will really have to listen to each other as you play and adjust how loud or soft you play to keep an even mix...
We practice pretty loud and the Zoom handles it without being even close to clipping. There are a few 'sensitivity' settings that take care of that.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
We practice pretty loud and the Zoom handles it without being even close to clipping. There are a few 'sensitivity' settings that take care of that.

CT

which zoom. what kind of music. what instruments?
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Zoom H2 - the cheaper, easier of the two. We're a straight-up guitars, bass, drums, vocals hard rock band.... think American Hi-Fi-ish.

CT