Uli Jon Roth, Pagan's Mind, Nightwish. Those have similarities with Symphony X but they are really different though
Malmsteen...similar to Symphony X...

Try Redemption, it's not quite the same but it's pretty good prog metal.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=56244027

Next time try the Rec. Thread.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You could try Dream Theater, Fates Warning, and Vanden Plas.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Yngw... Oh, right.

Those listed above here seems good.
I have heard some of Pagan's Mind, and it's not bad.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
I was gonna say try Dream Theater but its been said...
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
Quote by Doodleface
You could try Dream Theater, Fates Warning, and Vanden Plas.

You are the first person except for me that I have ever seen mention Vanden Plas on this forum. +10000 e-cookies sir, and you have great taste in music!
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Just thought of them, might try Avantasia although that's less heavy and more power-metal.

Edit: Romeo played on a couple Kotipelto albums so you might try that. Also Stratovarius and Star One might be worth looking into, although i haven't listened to those in a long time so I can't say for sure.
Last edited by 21xanadu12 at Jul 4, 2008,
+1 on Uli Roth, Ayreon and Nightwish. I haven't heard of Vanden Plas. Dutch or German Band?
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
You COULD try the recommendation thread stickied at the top.
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.