ok..I've got this acoustic guitar from China...StarSun YEA100C

http://www.taobao.com/view_image.php?pic=Wx0GGlFDXA1VUwMHWx0SCwkNGRFcVxxQW1UcCxMFRBkDCFdVV1cRRhpRRDhHEXMBamtcblEnARBZXhkLDGsDB0ZdQFFFBgYV&title=vKrL+8a9t70gzuXX6iDQx7O8IFN0YXJTdW4gWUVBMTAwQyA0MbTnIMixvccgw/HSpbyqy/s=&pCodeZDYxNDkzMTJhMWY2MmZlODU0NjhlYmY1NThmZWI4NzE=&version=2&itemId=801a74df6c67ddcc24407dc40d23fbf7&shopId=33211420&sellerRate=5157&fv=9&dbId=0db2

Here's the guitar /\

yea..and I've changed the strings on it a lot, in fact I have no idea what gauge the strings for this guitar should be...does it matter if the current strings are different from the original strings (when i bought it)? will it cause damage if I change it? or should i keep the gauge relatively the same, and if so how do I know what gauge my guitar is (without going to experts to go check it out)
Anyone play gunbound? then add johnny93

....you must tap into: THE FORCE!
....or: THE FORCE! will leave you
....then, you will no longer have: THE FORCE!
Don't know anything about these StarSun guitars, but if they are like most other Chinese budget instruments you need not to worry. It's sturdy as a brick and it probably wouldn't give way if you strung it with mooring cables.

However; there are some twists about string gauges you should know of.
First is that thicker strings need a higher tension to give the same note on a given string length than thinner strings. As said your Star Sun will cope with any string tension, but still the truss rod reinforcing the neck and holding it against the tension of the strings should be adjusted in accordance with the strings you use. Thicker strings means that the truss rod has to be tightened, thinner strings means that the truss rod must be relieved. Instructions for how to measure neck curvature and how to adjust truss rods can be found here
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/

Second is that string gauche affects intonation. Thicker strings tend to pitch up a little bit more when fretted higher up the neck compared with thinner strings. Checking the intonation on the octave should give a clue about what strings your guitar was originally set up for. Are the notes all a bit sharp on the 12th fret, you could go down in string gauche and vice versa; if the octaves are flat, try thicker strings.

Third is that string gauche affects tone. Thicker strings generally give more punch and make for a clear defenition and a high volume, but internal friction makes them swing out quickly. The bigger punch may let your soundboard swing longer though, so the sustain need not to be less. Thinner strings generally sound sweeter and more subtle. But a lot of things work together here, some of them working both ways, so it's hard to predict what exactly will happen to your tone on your guitar. Experimenting is the way to go.

Fourth is that thinner strings make for lighter playing but also for less feel. Do want your guitar to be gentle in your hands and sensitive, or do you rather have more feel. Some people hardly touch the strings they are fretting and prefer light gauche strings, while others sqeeze the neck to extract chords like juice from a half ripe lemon. If you play like that, only heavy gauche strings can make you happy.

Finally there is the matter of down tuning. If you like to tune your guitar to open- or dropped tunings, going up a few notches string gauche-wise is a good idea.
You see it's for the most part a matter of personal preference. An extremely well set up guitar will take only the gauche it is ment for. Your SunStar has probably never been set-up with such a precision that switching between string gauches will mess it up. Put on whatever strings you can lay your hands on and you'll be fine.
You should probably just stick with the "normal" gauge strings for acoustics, which is .012's, or lights. They'll give you a good all around sound, won't be so thick or thin that you would need to mess with the setup, and there's an abundant choice of compositions available to experiment with to get the tone you're looking for. Try a set of 80/20 bronze first and see what it sounds like to you. Then, when you wear those out, try a set of Phosphor Bronze of the same gauge and compare. Then silk and steels, then....and so on. But keep to the same gauge so you have a solid starting point to go from.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Don't know anything about these StarSun guitars, but if they are like most other Chinese budget instruments you need not to worry. It's sturdy as a brick and it probably wouldn't give way if you strung it with mooring cables.

too funny
Mr Deetag
THE ONE AND ONLY
My friends:
Marco,thebassmaster,angie-rose morbid death,Bubonic
turinbrakes.dace
DRK HRSE & Leno
ahallicks.wahappen...geesh!