Page 1 of 2
heya ther im pretty set on an orange rockverb 50 as seems to have an orgasmic sound. Just wondering which would be better tonally, and practically. The choices are a combo equiped with 2X12 celestion vintage 30s, or a head and cab. The cab being a stock orange one/or something else if someone else has a better idea. I dont think a 4X12 would be a good idea considering my mum only drives a peugot 306. But a 2X12 is do able. Also bear in mind I could swap the speakers out of either, and just wondering how EVM12Ls would cope. Anyway Ill leave it up to you guys

Cheers
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
personally, i'd take the head and 2x12 cab. the combo is going to be heavy as hell. the cab will probably be around 50lbs and the head 40lbs. the combo would probably weigh at least 70 to 80.

and quarter stacks are sexy.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
so 80lb is around 36kg. Is that do do able if i had casters on it? Or would i be better with head and cab? And what about tone?
i believe the combo has an open back, so the bass is going to be a bit bigger, and looser. a closed back cab has a tighter bass than an open back.

shoot a PM to kurdtkobaign, he has the rv50 combo.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

well im going to be playing all sorts really. From jazz fusion through blues/ rock, sabbath right up to metal such as megadeth although not anything heavier. So what would you recommend.

Like say for that really smooth eric johnson cliffs of dover sound, or parisienne walkways by gary moore? I assume open cabinet. But for metal stuff i assume the head would be better? I dont know
Also was just talking to someone and they think its a pretty unsubstantial difference. Could a quick tweak on the EQ allow for the sound of both to emulated on each other
i really couldn't tell ya. did you send that pm?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

no will do... anyone else wana add anything
Quote by Varkunus
so 80lb is around 36kg. Is that do do able if i had casters on it? Or would i be better with head and cab? And what about tone?

Casters are a no-no on a combo, IMHO. Amps aren't designed to get bounced around like that. Better to get a roadcase if you want wheels, as they cushion ride.

Tone-wise, there will be a negligible difference between the combo and the Orange cab. The cab will have a little tighter, heavier bottom end. That's about it. The advantage of the cab is the portability, and the fact that you can swap your speakers simply by plugging into a new cab. With the Orange, I'd lean towards the head & cab, even though it's more money. The Orange is the level of amplifier that could be the last you ever need. Nice to have those in head form to mix and match with speakers down the road.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
hhhhm. My DSL401 is on caster. I only move it to my mates house, and we reherse in a garage. So just push it along his drive way thats it. Although I can lift it ok. So you would say head etc. Which will have a smoother sound? And i assume the H+C is better suited for metal? And I like bottom end though Im confused help!

you got msn?
I prefer head/cab but it's just a preference.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
why head cab ? no one likes combos?
Quote by Varkunus
hhhhm. My DSL401 is on caster. I only move it to my mates house, and we reherse in a garage. So just push it along his drive way thats it. Although I can lift it ok. So you would say head etc. Which will have a smoother sound? And i assume the H+C is better suited for metal? And I like bottom end though Im confused help!

you got msn?

Pushing a tube amp along pavement can start to vibrate things apart. It's not the worst thing you can do, but it's worth avoiding if you can. Carry the amp on the roads/driveways, use the casters on smooth surfaces.

As for a smoother sound, there will be no difference - depending on your cab choice. But the Orange H&C will be very, very similar to the combo. Yes, the H&C would be a little better for metal, better for your bottom end.

No, I don't have msn.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I like the flexibility of a cab/head. If you want to use/buy another amp...you still have the cab. Plus if find it easier to service a head as it is more spacious, allowing easier access to components.

Soundwise, it's all 'bout the same.
yh the drive way is new so very smooth. what would be a decent cab for it anywat? an orange?
The Orange is a top of the line cab. Hard to go too far wrong with it. I'm a fan of a more vintage sound, and was looking at the Rockerverb head myself to match up with a ported Tone Tubby cab. Really depends on your budget. You could get something decent from Avatar or Lopoline, higher end like that Tone Tubby, or designed more for metal like the Vaders.

Really a matter of what you want.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Like I said this is alot of money for me to spend. I cant really afford it. But I would rather get something where I wont be disapointed and want to buy the H+C a few months down the line. I want this to be the last amp I buy in a long long long time. So head or combo? From what you guys are saying and what I can make out, the head has more bass?
well whats cheap and sounds good? Or is the orange pretty hard to beat. Also what do you guys think about the EVM12 speakers?
Quote by Varkunus
I want this to be the last amp I buy in a long long long time. So head or combo? From what you guys are saying and what I can make out, the head has more bass?

That's the main reason I suggest the H&C. The head can last you forever, and you can tweak/upgrade down the road with better/different cabs. The Avatar contemporary cab is based on the Orange (they even show it in orange), and would probably be a nice starting point for you.

The head only has more bass if you connect it to a bassier cab. It'll be less if you connect it to an open backed Jensen filled cab, or something.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
bump so if i get a head which cab and which speakers?
sorry for first bump
well what about getting the combo, and just sticking some nice speakers in it? I dont know. Im still confused. And sorry for bumping I didnt see the posts mozilla was playing up
Hey Varkunus I'll help you on ONE ONE ONE condition!

(Actually I've already helped you, I recommended the amp for you!)

But still, STOP BUMPING!

People will post, this is NOT a chat you know! You can bump if there's been enough time, but bumping in less than one hour is a BIG nono!

As I said it's up to you. But since you're only 15 and haven't tried as much gear, the good thing with the head/cab is that you can mix and match speakers. Also a 2x12 combo is almost impossible to carry and it's not good to have casters on a combo, but on a cab it's cool, since the speakers won't be destoyred by a bit of bumping, while tubes on the other hand are very fragile!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
right... like i said my dearest appologies for the bump. I did it once and shouldnt have. ONly did it again cause mozilla was playing up and i didnt see anyones replies for some reason (strange). Anyway the head and 2x12 cab seems more practical, and if it offers a better sound then it seems better all round. Except with the price. So I will have to buy the head? Cab? Orange I assume. Case and footswtich? I wish they did a RV30. Would be immense. But ow well. Anyway could someone tell me the cheapest to buy them off? Cause I dont see hardly any second hands coming up on ebay, must show there good quality
*facepalm*

holy crap. ask yourself this.

ultimately, do you want to spend more or less money
if that's most important, get the combo

do you want to be flexible in your decisions
then get the head and cab.

and for argument's sake, they sound the same.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Yeah, the difference between them is minimum and unless you're Eric Johnson (who has Twin Reverb combos!) I doubt you'd hear the difference (the stack won't sound better!).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

right well money is an issue. And I know my music tastes wont change. I like to much stuff, the way it could go is for me to become a death metal nut. But lets face it thats not gona happen. So the combo will get as much low end as the head. But will it also be more awkward to carry around, i mean whats it weigh 80lb? (35kg). It will still be manable to move by myself wont it? And I can always swap the speakers out, or plug into an external cab cant I? But it seems everyone has the head version
well can i buy like a hard padded case to keep it in, with wheels/casters to make it easier and also protect it. Also which footswitch do i need? And im swaying towards the combo since its much cheaper
do you think a 37kg (quoted from orange website) be liftable by a 15 year old average build boy on his own? And if not could I buy some kind of case or something like someone mentioned which has casters.
little dolly?
but they will definately give the same sound? Yes?
Little dolly= Little wagon. That's what I do with my Rocker 30. Just buy a cheap little dolly, for like £20 or so and you'll have no problems moving it around!

Well I got the combo, since it was way cheaper. The combo is by no means worse, I prefer combos actually.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

will the combo be as tight? Some people are saying yes, others no.

That little dolly thing, where can i buy one ? Is it just like a sack truck? http://www.bradfordengineering.co.uk/images/sack%20truck.jpg. And i dont see how a little dolly would offer shielding from ground vibrations? But if put casters on and was gentle would it be ok?
Last edited by Varkunus at Jul 4, 2008,
Page 1 of 2