http://www.egnater.com/modules.html

And those arent preamps in there, there power tubes.
How do these amps work?
I browsed trough the website and it says they use modules.
Im not sure how they work but my guese is its just analog preamp running into power tubes. im not saying it would sound bad cause ive played one and there damn good. there not just trying to clone one amp here there going for the whole shabang, vox, fender, marshall, mesa.
Ive heard good things about them in other forums, that they actually break up, like they really clip is this true?
anyone have an idea on how these things work?
What do you mean, how does it work? The amp itself probably contains some preamp circuitry and a switching mechanism, along with power and output transformers. The modules contain some more preamp circuitry and the entire power amp, and plug in with a big I/O connector. It "works" just like a regular amp, except the power section is removable. I'm sure the execution is tricky, but the concept is rather simple.
And of course they'd actually break up. When you get done with it, it's exactly the same functionally as any other tube amp.
Go to the Randallamplifiers.com forums. That Bruce Egnater guy worked with Randall to create the MTS series by Randall. The Egnater ones are more expensive and better than the Randall ones, but they are equally awesome. At the forums you can ask these questions, the people there are really nice. The modules are preamps that are similar in circuitry to other top brand name amps like a Marshall Super Lead or Mesa Dual Recto. They aren't cheesy either in terms of sound so you won't dissappointed. I've got an RM100KH, they're great amps, check them out.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
wow, this is great then.
sounds like a really great thing if you ask me.
if i get one all i would need is a cab. ill try them out if i can, it would definately be bettor to buy a module than a amp for the sake of money.
Does anyone else have any experience with em, this seems really interesting.
where the hell was I when these things came out they show alot of promise.
Quote by blabermouth5
wow, this is great then.
sounds like a really great thing if you ask me.
if i get one all i would need is a cab. ill try them out if i can, it would definately be bettor to buy a module than a amp for the sake of money.
Does anyone else have any experience with em, this seems really interesting.
where the hell was I when these things came out they show alot of promise.

If you're thinking about getting one join the Randall forum, I learned so much about these amps from people using them. All I have heard is positive feedback.

Strangely enough is that they haven't gotten too much publicity since they came out.
Depending on your budget both the Engater and the Randall are good choices.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
^yah i find that strange that they havent picked up into the mainstream if they are what they are, real tube amps. this is great i cant wait to try one.
ill definately buy a randall one just for the f of it and see how it is.
Last edited by blabermouth5 at Jul 4, 2008,
basically, with the rack preamp thing, it has 4 preamp things connected/plugged into a basic board (i think by 7 pin midi) that then runs to a pretty standard power amp, and then out to speakers.
It's basically a normal amp with swappable preamp circuits.

And yes, bruce egnater designed the system, he's a genius.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
just to clear things up, both the randalls and the egnators just use preamps in there modules right, not power tubes?

the whole idea sounds really good, you got your power amp there and everything and if you want a diffrent amp literally, just change the module.
The modules have preamp tubes in them, what ever is standard for most preamps, just interchangeable. I just got the amp head which has every thing a normal head has except the preamp is made up of whatever you want. Also a cool feature is the back of the head where you can bias your own tubes, easily find out if one fails, and change a tube or a fuse in seconds. These will also cater to your changing tastes, so instead of buying a new amp for over$1000, you can just buy a $200 module for practically the same sound.
SPAM:

ill probly end up saving for the tourmaster witch dosent have the interchangable modules.
or the cheaper randall ones, witch do have interchangable modules.
I was thinking of buying a mesa DR, but ill give this a shot and see how it handles thanks alot MorgMetal and you other guys. i think ill go check up the randall forums.