Is there any noticeble difference you can feel at all of are they basically the same? I'm not talking about sound or tone but playability like bending,etc?
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
say you're using .09s in standard tuning, and if you use .010s in standard, it'll feel harder on the fingers because they're heavier strings and usually for tuning down half a step.
You can definitely feel the difference.

I like 10's better.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
i can definitely feel the difference.

i use 11s in standard, and 12s for a step down. anything else just feels too slinky.
I use 10-52's for standard and dropped tunings. If I go REALLY low like C# or C, I use 11-52. There is a big difference between 9 and 10 gauge.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Dude, I'm in your sig.

Being mocked
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Yeah. I use 9s for the easier bending.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by GuitaPlaya
Use 12s
Good for you, nobody cares.

.09s are definitely much easier to play on. I find that .09s in standard E tuning on a 25.5" scale guitar equals about .10s in Eb tuning on a 24.75" scale guitar.
Personally, I don't hear a difference in tone, but I do notice that .10s seem to sustain notes for a little bit longer. I think it's a fair trade-off, easier playing or a second and a half longer sustain. I also notice that pinch harmonics and natural harmonics are clearer on the highest thee strings on a set of .10s, but on the lower three strings they're clearer with .09s.

When I play on a 24.75" scale guitar in E standard tuning, I find the best thing to do is take the top highest three strings from a pack of .10s and the lowest three strings from a pack of .09s and use them on the same guitar. It gives a very even sound and feel across the board. On 25.5" in Standard I use all .09s, on 24.74" tuned down half a step (Eb) I use all .10s.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by rich_sg
Dude, I'm in your sig.

Being mocked

Lol, dont take it personally.

So basically 10's are harder to bend then the 9's?
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
yes you can tell.

I have only used 9's for about 2 years now, and yesterday i strung up one of my axe's with 10's and i prefer it so much more, its easier to bend for me, i dont over bend.
I've been using Super lights (8-38), but my finger strength is §hit, so Im moving my way up to heavys to increase my strength.
Quote by MrFlibble

.09s are definitely much easier to play on. I find that .09s in standard E tuning on a 25.5" scale guitar equals about .10s in Eb tuning on a 24.75" scale guitar.
Personally, I don't hear a difference in tone, but I do notice that .10s seem to sustain notes for a little bit longer. I think it's a fair trade-off, easier playing or a second and a half longer sustain. I also notice that pinch harmonics and natural harmonics are clearer on the highest thee strings on a set of .10s, but on the lower three strings they're clearer with .09s.

When I play on a 24.75" scale guitar in E standard tuning, I find the best thing to do is take the top highest three strings from a pack of .10s and the lowest three strings from a pack of .09s and use them on the same guitar. It gives a very even sound and feel across the board. On 25.5" in Standard I use all .09s, on 24.74" tuned down half a step (Eb) I use all .10s.

Very good advice. I might have to try that because I got a couple of packs of 10's laying around and just ordered a few different brands of 9's to try them out (D'Arrios 9's and Earnie Ball Super slinky 9's pink pack) Thanks again.
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
i use 9's for standard and i get great tone out of the 10's in drop B, but to answer the question yes.
I can usually feel a difference, i never like to play on anything below 10s, just doesnt feel right. I prefer 11s myself.
I'm using 10's for E and 12's for D standard, although I became in love with the stability I get with 10s so I might change to 11's on my Ibanez. At first bending is a pain, but later on it's better since you have more control over stuff, and notes sound "firmer"
Yeah- .9s take slightly less time to slice through your fingertips.

.14s for the win.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
It's immediately noticeable, if you've been using the same gauge of strings forever you get used to putting the right amount of pressure on the strings, heavier gauge requires more pressure so you gotta get used to it.

It becomes instinctual if you have different guitars with different gauges.
Quote by MrFlibble

To save you some money, I think both GHS and Dean Markley make a set of 10's with the low strings from a set of 9's, and vice versa
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores