Ok, heres thie situation-I'm gonna by either guitar or bass, but which one should I choose and why?
Ill say bass first. Builds finger strength, theres a general lack of bass players, and it can sound nasty and heavy w/out using distortion.
if you like funk and stuff like that, play bass because bass is very prominent in that music. if you like metal and face melting guitar solos, you should probably play guitar.
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
I like metal/rock, but basses look godamn nice, and I ould be able to widen my genres. Only problem is that I have noe idea what a bass does in a song, and I can never hear it...And I don't want to not be heard.
When you start playing you will start hearing bass in songs more, it's probably just a case of you not being able to tell which bit is the bass, that's what I always used to get. Bass is easier to get started on too, but a lot of the time it can be boring!
Oh, and i'd also like to note that i'l probably be like a bedroom player, or whatever they're called, nothing big.
If you already have a guitar get a bass. If you have neither one go guitar. Personally I think all guitarists should at least have a bass and learn to play it even though they may stick to guitar. That's my next purchase personally is a Bass.

Rock and Metal stuff w/o a bass dont sound right. It's very obvious if you listen to some Bass players only for a bit and then listen to them again with guitar over it and without it. Once you've done that a bit you've pretty much trained yourself to hear the bass player and it's pretty impressive some of the stuff they add to the music.

More gutarists should learn bass and vice versa with the bass players to learn guitar. I think fans would be more impressed if they traded off occasionally on a few songs live... at least I would. If a musician can play multiple instruments... guitar, bass, keyboard for example I'm more impressed with them then if they only play guitar.
Guitars:
Legend Guitar Company OM-307QM,
Gitane John Jorgenson Gypsy Jazz Guitar,
Ibanez AG-85,
Gibson Johnny A Signature Custom

Gear:
E-MU 1820M, Guitar Box Pro, Aphex 204, 1404, Boss OC-2, QSR, Roland Cube 60, Guitar Rig 2, Crybaby 535Q
just from you I want to be heard line..your a guitarists. Bass is usually the core of the song although not always noticeable to the untrained ear and song just falls apart without it.
Guitar:
Floyd Rose discovery series 3 (with speed loader bridge)
Gibson Les paul studio
Pedals:
Zoom G2.1U pedal
Amps:
vox valvetronix 50 watt
Dean "stack in a box" headphone amp
Try Bass.

Bass is just as important as anything in the band so people that are like Bass is the most important in the band or that is the 'core' of the band is full of ****.

The most important thing in a band is the chemistry of the band.

and the core of the bane is the actual band.
Last edited by Graveworm at Jul 4, 2008,
If you're just going to play in your room, and never to your friends, I'd say electric guitar. If you want to play to your friends juts randomly, or like in public or on the beach or at a river or some scenic place, acoustic guitar. I'd suggest bass if you EVER want to be in a band.

Reason being that electric is sort of inconvenient for showing off, and everybody and there mom plays it(whether they play well is a different story). Also, you can put in a TON of money to an electric guitar. However, electric guitar has the most variety out of the three in terms of effect availability, tone, and playing style.

Acoustics are good all-around, you can play most genres, they're not too hard to make sound good, and they can easily be hauled around since they don't weigh too much. Somewhat limited(for the most part) in different effects and things to do to them.

Bass is good for being in a band, because every good band needs a bassist(whether you'll admit it or not), and there's not that many of them out there.

It all boils down to why you want to play.
Bass,we've more than enough guitarists.

But seriously,decide.We can't decide for you.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by pensiveintensiv
If you're just going to play in your room, and never to your friends, I'd say electric guitar. If you want to play to your friends juts randomly, or like in public or on the beach or at a river or some scenic place, acoustic guitar. I'd suggest bass if you EVER want to be in a band.

Reason being that electric is sort of inconvenient for showing off, and everybody and there mom plays it(whether they play well is a different story). Also, you can put in a TON of money to an electric guitar. However, electric guitar has the most variety out of the three in terms of effect availability, tone, and playing style.

Acoustics are good all-around, you can play most genres, they're not too hard to make sound good, and they can easily be hauled around since they don't weigh too much. Somewhat limited(for the most part) in different effects and things to do to them.

Bass is good for being in a band, because every good band needs a bassist(whether you'll admit it or not), and there's not that many of them out there.

It all boils down to why you want to play.

I'm pretty sure that everybody plays the electric guitar, smartass. *sarcasm*

BTW, A band consists of a drum, bass, guitarist, and vocalist.

So, your theory of "I'd suggest bass if you EVER want to be in a band.
" I'm pretty sure that a band is only going to want a bass player and nothing else.BTW, there are a lot of good bass players out there, it is just that you are generalizing that there isn't many great bass players.

Everyone should stop acting like bass players are a dying ****ing breed too.
Last edited by Graveworm at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by Graveworm
I'm pretty sure that everybody plays the electric guitar, smartass. *sarcasm*

BTW, A band consists of a drum, bass, guitarist, and vocalist.

So, your theory of "I'd suggest bass if you EVER want to be in a band.
" I'm pretty sure that a band is only going to want a bass player and nothing else.BTW, there are a lot of good bass players out there, it is just that you are generalizing that there isn't many great bass players.

Everyone should stop acting like bass players are a dying ****ing breed too.

Haha, my bad dude. Didn't mean to offend. I'm just merely stating that more people play guitar than bass, and that'd probably make it easier to get into a band while playing bass. I've got a couple friends who play bass, but many more who play guitar. sorry for confusion.
Play a few guitars and a few basses and figure out which feels better to you.

You usually can't hear the bass well because that's what the entire band builds off of, the foundation of the sound. If you're worried about not being heard, guitar is your thing. An ego is something you don't want but especially if you're a bassist.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
While bass players are not a dying breed, they are in shorter supply than guitarists. I've know a few bands that have put up with amazing personalities in bass players because they know that replacing them with a new one is a difficult chore.

But I think Blade Slinger has said it best--play a few of each and see which one speaks to you.