i have recently goten in to funk guitar and i want to buy a guitar that is good for that sort of thing, i'm playing hard-core funk and p-funk.
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
go for a fender telocaster. they got the funk
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
A fender strat or similar is basically the funk sound; single coils give it that thin twang that really defines the funk tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
A fender strat or similar is basically the funk sound; single coils give it that thin twang that really defines the funk tone.

+1
Baby the funks already in you
I play a guitar strung with Yngwie's chest hair
The funk is what you you make it, just like any style. Much of the traditional funk you hear that's popular are single coil guitars. Jimmy Nolan played an ES-175 and Les Paul w/ P90's with James Brown. Grant Green also played a jazz style guitar. On the other hand, Eddie Hazel (P-Funk) played a strat. Then there's Dean Pleasants who I believe played an Ibanez on the Infectious Grooves albums.

funk in my opinion is more about a feel than a certain sound. If you've got the funk, get the funk out!
thx guys i'm going to check out all of the suggestions thx
Equipment

Jackson Dinky DKMGT
Randall RG50TC
I use an am std strat stock, and sometimes a cbs era jazz master and a dunlop crybaby. i love the combo.
my gear:
1989 sunburst Made in America fender strat
vox valvetronix ad30vt
btw >

put this in your profile if you love the chilis
tele's def...I got a nashville deluxe tele (got the strat middle pickup) and it does funk real nice
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
The essence of funk for me is a Tele (or a bright Strat), through a Fender voiced amp with a wah and compressor. Very simple setup you can "go crazy" with. *shot for a horrible pun*