So I got me a fretless, and I prefer my roundwounds. I understand they are very mean to the fingerboard but I don't mind getting it leveled, say every year or so.

So my question is if maple wood is a generally strong or weak wood.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

In general I think most anyone here would recommend getting the board poly'd regardless of wood if you're using roundwounds, but even moreso on maple.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Thank you.
polyurethane can be gotten in hardware stores, correct?
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

When I was looking a defretting my maple neck, I was cautioned against doing it because you absolutely have to poly maple and when you do so, it muffles the "mwah" of a fretless. So I'd be very interested in hearing soundclips when you finish this project.

And I would stick to flatwounds...
I'm going to end up trying flats anyway, but due to money constraints (AKA my parents)I can't just go get new strings. D'ads rounds and I just got them today.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

oh, whoops it doesn't have an maple fingerbaord.
I has an ebonal, but I do not know if that is any better.

/noob
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

Cuz I'm an idiot
Yeah, much darker color tone.
It was the neck that is maple.
Today is NOT my day.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

Seriously, get some half-wounds. They sort of have the aggressive punch of roundwounds but won't eat up your fretboard.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Eh, no harm done. At least it was an intelligent question you asked that may help you or someone else at some point. Never hurts to learn more.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
No worries, we all have off days

I do believe I'm the poster child of that statement
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
No worries, we all have off days

I have on days....
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Man how would you slap on a fretless?!
Be hard wouldnt it?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

It would just as hard/easy as it is on a fretted. They only difference is the tone because the strings aren't hitting the frets.

How did you come to the conclusion that it was hard?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
Man how would you slap on a fretless?!
Be hard wouldnt it?

Its not that hard, it just sounds different. Les Claypool is a good example of a bass player who does this.
any lose of sustain with a fretless?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by fleajr_1412
It would just as hard/easy as it is on a fretted. They only difference is the tone because the strings aren't hitting the frets.

How did you come to the conclusion that it was hard?

I dont know, I just assumed that because of having no frets there would be no clanging of metal on metal, and the fact that frets make the gap between string and fretboard smaller...

Man I gotta play a fretless some time, sounds cool..
Once saw a 5 string fretless acoustice bass, the wierdest thing ive ever seen. Compared to les's rainbow bass even.
Strings were really thick looking. Like 2x as thick as mine atm.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Hey, hey, hey?

Since when are maple fingerboards NOT already polied? I've never played a Fender with a maple fingerboard that wasn't already polied (i.e. the entire neck was finished, fretboard included. Pretty sure it's the same with Stingers.

What's the moral of the story? Yank out the frets, fill them in, then play. It's already polied. The fingerboard's finish is just as strong as the rest of the neck's... it's the same finish.

EDIT: OK, my post wasn't really relevant after reading the thread some more, but it's some conventional wisdom for ya.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^Appreciated :p

I'm hoping the ebonal holds up, because I never want to use flats. These strings sing on this bass.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad