Page 1 of 2
Alright so in guitar player, or some other guitar magazine i saw an ad for these guitar necks
they are perfectly intonated. they look reallly weird, because eact fret is a different size ( and yeah i know what your saying, theyre supposed to be) but no. i mean like everyfret
eg

the first fret of the e string is 4 cm. and the first fret of the a streing will be a different length ( 4.3 cm) and the d string will have a different length (3.8cm) and each string, although have the same fret number, has a different length, all because they are perfectly in tune. the necks look really wierd, wondering if anyone knows what im talking about, the name is drivning me insane
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
i know what you mean, theres an advert in total guitar about these, it isn't fanned frets. the frets aren't straight, they are like... bent, it's hard to explain
Steve vai used those in some of his guitars when i saw him live.
It must take so time to get used to them lol theyr really weird
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

nono not fanned frets.
i cant FIND pics thats the problem
basically fret 1 will have a different length for each string

meaning, regular frets are a stright line right? well theres ones go all over the place its not a straight line, imagine snake ( in that snake game where you eat the apples and get bigger)
going up ,then off to the left, then upp ,then to the right then up and making all these wierd movments and imagine that as just one fret on the board. bah i cant explin it at all.
Quote by Sloopy
i don't think that that would be fun to play, if i am understanding it correctly

im wondering though, if each stringhas a different fret, how would you bend strings?
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by hyroglyph!c
nono not fanned frets.
i cant FIND pics thats the problem
basically fret 1 will have a different length for each string

meaning, regular frets are a stright line right? well theres ones go all over the place its not a straight line, imagine snake ( in that snake game where you eat the apples and get bigger)
going up ,then off to the left, then upp ,then to the right then up and making all these wierd movments and imagine that as just one fret on the board. bah i cant explin it at all.

Yeah, kinda like if the frets are noodles lol thats the best way to explain it lol
I cant find any pick either... grrr
Quote by Reincaster

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Kurikinton Fox

whoa...that actually looks really cool
i want one
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Last edited by cap'n curry at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by Kurikinton Fox

Thats it
Quote by Reincaster

Quote by shredhead22

wouldnt that **** up bending and harmonics and stuff?
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
The most truth I've heard in the pit.
ever.
▼▲
Wouldn't this make fingering chords/powerchords very, very difficult?
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
rofl at those frets, I don't care if they are "perfectly intonated" what happends when you make full bends etc? I mean the way they are curved like that, they must produce some strange noises when you bend them over the curved parts.
odd... how would you bend? because wouldn't the note get lower or something when the fret is in a different position or w.e?
what's next? "we have made a car perfect for the environment, but it's so complicated we don't know how to drive it!"
All we can do is speculate, unless anyone has actually tried one how can we say if they are any good to play?

Edit - TONE! ^
Quote by CliffIsAngry
rofl at those frets, I don't care if they are "perfectly intonated" what happends when you make full bends etc? I mean the way they are curved like that, they must produce some strange noises when you bend them over the curved parts.

Read the site. It says "Curved Frets play just like standard frets. You do not need to modify your playing technique. Bending is not affected."

That looks pretty sweet IMO.
On the topic of construction delaying the Large Hadron Collider:

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Construction my ass. They just haven't found a good enough crowbar for Gordon Freeman when everything goes tits up.
Straight frets sound fine to me, kthx.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
^fanned, not true temp frets.

watched a movie of a guy soloing on a guitar referred to in this thread. Sounded just like any other guitar neck honestly. perfectly tuned merfectly smhuned.(lol)
Quote by CliffIsAngry
^fanned, not true temp frets.

watched a movie of a guy soloing on a guitar referred to in this thread. Sounded just like any other guitar neck honestly. perfectly tuned merfectly smhuned.(lol)

I thought that's what he meant
wowo thank you so much.
Quote by Sloopy
Fanned frets do NOT affect intonation on single strings. It doesn't 'solve' anything.

For that matter the guitar's tuning issue can't be solved. C# is NOT Db. They're different notes. It's all a compromise.

This may help but:

Different string gauges will change that slightly.
Different tunings may change the relative position of each notes etc...

Just speculating... but while I'm picky I just accept that a guitar has its limitations.

Imagin a piano with twice as many keys otherwise.

Only horns players and fretless players can play C# AND Db for instance.

I'm not saying it doesn't work. Just that it seems like a lot of hassle for something that in the end, will never be 100% in tune.
Quote by Pott
Fanned frets do NOT affect intonation on single strings. It doesn't 'solve' anything.

For that matter the guitar's tuning issue can't be solved. C# is NOT Db. They're different notes. It's all a compromise.

This may help but:

Different string gauges will change that slightly.
Different tunings may change the relative position of each notes etc...

Just speculating... but while I'm picky I just accept that a guitar has its limitations.

Imagin a piano with twice as many keys otherwise.

Only horns players and fretless players can play C# AND Db for instance.

I'm not saying it doesn't work. Just that it seems like a lot of hassle for something that in the end, will never be 100% in tune.

I've just realized, horns and fretless players can play notes that don't exist, for example whatever is in between C# and Db.
So can we, if we bend.

What I meant is, they as players do make the differences between those two notes I mentioned (for instance), whereas if we think as guitarists, we don't.
fanned frets just help with the tension on the strings, and it is more ergonomically correct for your wrist.

I'm surprised a lot of you are all "WTFISDAT LOLOLOL".
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
Page 1 of 2