I recently got an acoustic guitar and I am concerned about the action of it... I have only really played electric before so I am not sure what is typical action on an acoustic. On the low E string the strings is about 1/8 inch above the 12th fret (the fret wire) and about 1/32 inch above the first fret wire - so the action seems really low close to the headstock and much higher closer to the body. It this normal or is it something I need to get looked at?
yes the action on acoustic guitars are higher then electric,i think its cuz the higher the action the better sound you get and since acoustic guitars dont have an amp to amplify the sound the action needs to be higher..if that makes sense
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
I know the action on acoustics is generally higher, but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be that high or increase that much as you go up the neck... on my strat the action at the 12th fret is slightly higher than at the first but it's not nearly as big of a difference as it is on this acoustic (an Alvarez).
It's normal. An acoustic guitar's strings are of a thicker gauge than those of an electric, so require more room to vibrate freely without buzzing. That's the true reason for the action being higher, not the lack of an amp. And as for the angle of the strings from the fretboard, that too is normal. All stringed instruments require that the string is a bit closer at the nut end to the frets than at the saddle end. This allows you to fret the instrument without each higher numbered fret interfering with the one you are currently pressing the string onto. Since the portion of the vibrating string that you want to hear is the part between the saddle and whichever fret you're pressing onto(or nut if open), that part needs to be farther away from the frets than the rest of the string behind where you're pressing. If the angle is too low, the strings will "fret out", meaning that the string will come into contact with frets other than the one you are trying to play a note on.
Quote by Rocketface2112
yes the action on acoustic guitars are higher then electric,i think its cuz the higher the action the better sound you get and since acoustic guitars dont have an amp to amplify the sound the action needs to be higher..if that makes sense

Makes no sense and is wrong.