Is there any piece of gear out there that can give my amp more clean headroom? I love the tone of it cranked, and it has an AMAZING clean tone with the volume knob turned to about halfway on the guitar, but I want to be able to have that clean tone without messing with the volume on my guitar.

Or is there a tube amp out there that I can crank all the way without getting power amp overdrive?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
well, if you crank a tube amp, your pushing the tubes harder which will cause the tubes to break up. How many watts is your amp right now?
I think the best thing you can do is turn your amp up to the point where it doesn't break up yet and push it over the edge with a booster pedal.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
my amp is 15 watts, and I'm not asking for another amp suggestion, just if a piece of gear exists that can do what I want. Also, I probably shouldn't have mentioned the word "headroom", because volume is not what I'm looking for. I just notice that the overall tone gets "better" the hotter I run the amp.

I guess what I'm thinking of is there some kind of "backwards attenuator" that will allow me to crank it, but still keep it clean. Because even with 100 watts, I would still have to crank it to get the tone I am talking about.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

If you buy a volume pedal with a "minimum volume" pot on it like the morley little alligator, set the pot to the point where you like your clean tone to be, then just take the pedal forwards or backwards depending on whether you want to be clean or dirty.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
None of you seem to understand my question....

This is what I want to know: Is there any piece of equipment out there that will allow me to run my amp at 100%, volume all the way up, and not have ANY overdrive or distortion WITHOUT using the volume knob on my guitar.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by USAPeavey

This is what I want to know: Is there any piece of equipment out there that will allow me to run my amp at 100%, volume all the way up, and not have ANY overdrive or distortion WITHOUT using the volume knob on my guitar.

In short, no.

All the way up is going to overdrive it. That's the point. Only way that you can get that volume level clean is with more clean headroom, thus a higher wattage amp. However, you'd have to crank it even more to overdrive it.
Quote by USAPeavey

I POSTED A PERFECTLY GOOD RESPONSE SUGGESTING A VOLUME PEDAL, WHICH WOULD MEAN YOU WOULD NOT HAVE ANY OVERDRIVE AND YOU WOULDN'T NEED TO USE THE POT ON YOUR GUITAR.

My Music
You would have to mic it up at a lower volume, or roll the volume off on your guitar. I think that works.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by timi_hendrix
I POSTED A PERFECTLY GOOD RESPONSE SUGGESTING A VOLUME PEDAL, WHICH WOULD MEAN YOU WOULD NOT HAVE ANY OVERDRIVE AND YOU WOULDN'T NEED TO USE THE POT ON YOUR GUITAR.

Well, if that is what he's going for then yeah, there's the perfect answer.

I thought he wanted the max volume level of his amp to be clean. Maybe I misunderstood.
Quote by TheProducer
Well, if that is what he's going for then yeah, there's the perfect answer.

I thought he wanted the max volume level of his amp to be clean. Maybe I misunderstood.

He said he wants something that does the same job of rolling off his volume pot.... a volume pedal is just a pedal version of a volume knob, if you take down the volume on that (running it between the guitar and amp) the guitar won't drive the amp as heard meaning it'll stay cleaner.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
He said he wants something that does the same job of rolling off his volume pot.... a volume pedal is just a pedal version of a volume knob, if you take down the volume on that (running it between the guitar and amp) the guitar won't drive the amp as heard meaning it'll stay cleaner.

Ah, I see.
Quote by timi_hendrix

You did post a very good answer, and it makes a lot of sense, but what I just quoted from you is a perfect example of what I want. I want to drive the amp as hard as I can, but I still want it to stay clean. My theory of a kind of "reverse attenuator" could describe what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by USAPeavey
You did post a very good answer, and it makes a lot of sense, but what I just quoted from you is a perfect example of what I want. I want to drive the amp as hard as I can, but I still want it to stay clean. My theory of a kind of "reverse attenuator" could describe what I'm looking for. Thanks.

I'm not sure that is possible then. Driving an amp as hard as it'll go will overdrive it. I'm not sure how to do that and avoid the overdrive at the same time.
Quote by USAPeavey

The amp's power tubes will still be working just as hard, there just won't be quite as much "push" from your guitar signal to distort the preamp tubes which is what you want to avoid. It will sound the same as if you had your guitar volume on whatever you have it set on for cleans, which from the way I read your post is what you want, right?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
The amp's power tubes will still be working just as hard, there just won't be quite as much "push" from your guitar signal to distort the preamp tubes which is what you want to avoid. It will sound the same as if you had your guitar volume on whatever you have it set on for cleans, which from the way I read your post is what you want, right?

Oh...well in that case, that would work fine. I was just looking for something a bit more stable than a volume knob or pedal. Can you lock volume pedals in certain positions?
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by USAPeavey
Oh...well in that case, that would work fine. I was just looking for something a bit more stable than a volume knob or pedal. Can you lock volume pedals in certain positions?

Ohhhhhhh, I follow now
the framus dragon. fender hot rod deluxe. fender supersonic. most soldano's too. theres an answer without caps. use it... dont use it. crank em and find out for yourself
Quote by evolucian
the framus dragon. fender hot rod deluxe. fender supersonic. most soldano's too. theres an answer without caps. use it... dont use it. crank em and find out for yourself

What?
Maybe just using the volume knob on your guitar would work. Just turn the clean channel all the way up like you want it then turn you vlume on your guitar down.
Quote by USAPeavey

I don't know about locking, but I know that some of them have a pot on that lets you set the minimum volume, so you could use that to set the pedal up in such a way that when the pedal's all the way back it's at the right setting for the clean sound you want. So you could just leave the pedal all the way back.

My Music
Quote by stewart91
a cleaner sound ing vavle maybe like a 6l6

that could potentially lower the total output of the amp as well. that could drop a 40-50 watt amp to below 30 watts easily. probably in the 20s depending on the curcuit.

edit. nevermind, i thought you meant change out your 6l6s for 6v6s. im stupid.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Jul 4, 2008,
You could try a EQ that's set to lower the signal a little bit. You would have a instant set amount of signal on a stomp of a footswitch.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.