I can alternate pick pretty fast, but my left isnt that fast. What kind of legato exercises should I work on and what exercises should I work on to synchronize both hands?
"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
You can come up with some helpful exercises to improve legato, but also check out songs. One helpful exercise I like is this, using one finger per fret:
e-1h2p1h3p1h4p1h4p1h3p1h2p1----------------------------------
B-----------------------------------
G-----------------------------------
D-----------------------------------
A-----------------------------------
E-----------------------------------

Use that on all six strings and then go up chromatically.

In addition, look at some legato-heavy players and learn some of their sons so you keep an interest in it. In particular, Satch and Michael Romeo are two of my favorites. For Romeo, I'd recommend "Sea of Lies" and "Candlelight Fantasia", and for Satch "Made of Tears", "Satch Boogie", "Surfing With the Alien" and "THe Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing" are great. Learn those and you'll have fun while building technique.

I remember edg had a great legato workout post, I'll see if I can find it.
If you wanna get better at synchronizing both hands, then you shouldn't focus too much on legato, but licks purely alternate picked. I would recommend chromatics exercise, it worked for me.

Also check out for the John Petrucci Rock Discipline video.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
This is the total opposite of me. I'm pretty ok with alternate picking.
My sweep picking is pretty good too.

My left hand is very strong and I can play almost anything with it.. the other hand is instead not perfectly synced. But yea, wth.
Unfortunately, if your hands are unevenly matched and you have trouble synchronizing them, your best bet will probably be to start all over again and work up with a metronome. Do chromatic exercises and scale runs with alternate picking only while slowly building up tempo. This should correct your problem.
well I'm not that bad at syncing lol.. its just that my left hand is very strong from playing computer games and when I learn a new thing I have to concentrate on the right hand rather than the left hand; everything in the left hand comes very naturally and extremly easy. :P

I guess i'm pretty good at syncing.
Synching requires making sure that whatever you play, your right hand picks at the EXACT moment your left hand frets. That requires slow practice and focus. Check out lesson 2 and 5 in my sig for legato help.
Thanks for the advice.

For some reason, however, I cant really stretch my hand (with my index, middle, and pinky) over 5 (index), 7 (middle), and 9 (pinky) very well. I can sort of, but its very stressful and somewhat painful doing it. Is this normal? Is it just my muscles working or something?
"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD Alexi-600
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Other Gear:
Carvin V3 amp head
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech RP250 pedal
Quote by guitarist792
Thanks for the advice.

For some reason, however, I cant really stretch my hand (with my index, middle, and pinky) over 5 (index), 7 (middle), and 9 (pinky) very well. I can sort of, but its very stressful and somewhat painful doing it. Is this normal? Is it just my muscles working or something?

Is pretty normal. You just have to practice with stretching exercises and gradually you'll feel less painful doing that kind of shape.

Here's some exercises from the master Satriani:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCbS1BWrTcs
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by guitarist792
Thanks for the advice.

Actually, it's almost definately a posture issue, unless you have very small hands and have been playing a very short while. Try the 5th lesson in my profile and see if that helps.