Page 1 of 2
So in the attic of my dad's new girlfriends' ex-husband (follow?) I found some guitars and I could keep them because, he didn't use them anymore. And one of them seems to be a 70s Gibson Les Paul O_o (SN: 181775)
The other ones are a DIA SG (I was surprised I don't know the brand, it plays heavenly) and a Cimar (?) 12 string acoustic. Can anyone tell me anything about these guitars?

pics!

Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Jul 4, 2008,
uhh...

that les paul looks fake, to me.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
les paul looks fake... how does it sound? 70s les paul deluxes says les paul on the headstock..
ya i think that those are single coil and im pretty sure all LP have the humbuckers from what i know could be wrong but hey its free gear who cares
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
ya i think that those are single coil and im pretty sure all LP have the humbuckers from what i know could be wrong but hey its free gear who cares

les paul deluxe's have mini humbuckers
It sounds like Pagey himself but more sloppy and through a home built amp. ^_~ Plus, I've got the serial number because the pic isn't that clear: 181775

I'll look on the Gibson website now what it means.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I'm interested to know how that turns out. What are you doing going thru your dad's gf's ex-husband's attic? That doesn't seem like a place i'd be going lol
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

We were cleaning up the house that belonged to him and the girlfriends', they're selling it because of their divorce, and we were helping cleaning. We're all friends really. ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I'd say that Gibson looks legit. There was a feature in Guitarist a while back about how to tell.
Definitely a '70s deluxe. Just get some lemon oil on that fretboard.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Wow. That's awesome :p

I was a bit in doubt because it didn't say 'Made in USA' underneath the SN and there's a dot on the i and that's all I could find on wikipedia. Is there a way to check out the serial number? Googling 'gibson deluxe serial number' only comes up with confusing websites.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by stinger12345
I'm interested to know how that turns out. What are you doing going thru your dad's gf's ex-husband's attic? That doesn't seem like a place i'd be going lol

thats why this man has three more guitars, and you do not
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
Damn, you are way too lucky
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
I'd say that Gibson is a good one. If you get a chance, remove one pickup and look at its backside. It may say Gibson on it. DOn't know about the other gutars but if the LP is real that alone is worth enough.
Lucky.
Moving on.....
A pic of one of townsends 70s deluxe LPs had the same truss rod cover and looking at the pic your does have the minihumbuckers. If its an early 70s one its worth almost 3 grand. One site says the 70s deluxe had a "pancake" body of maple/mahogany/maple/mahogany. Not that it matters as you did get it for free.
Quote by KenG
I'd say that Gibson is a good one. If you get a chance, remove one pickup and look at its backside. It may say Gibson on it. DOn't know about the other gutars but if the LP is real that alone is worth enough.
Lucky.

If it's really a 70s Gibson in this state - I don't think I'll ever have the nerves to touch it again
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
call up gibson, thats what i do everytime i'm investing in a gibson. and if it all checks out. get a glass case and lock it up against your wall then when you turn 18 you should be able to trade that for a car
Quote by Blompcube
uhh...

that les paul looks fake, to me.

It's not a fake, it's a Norlin-era Gibson. Norlin owned Gibson from the early 70s to around 1981. During the 70s, there was a lot of experimentation with the Les Paul by Norlin. The specifications changed a lot, and then gradually went back to the original specs, because the guitar was falling out of favour. The changed specs include multiple-piece bodies and maple tops (I've seen one with a seven-piece maple top!), bigger scratch plates (which looked horrible in my opinion), and three-piece maple necks with a neck volute. The last change could be considered an upgrade, though LP purists didn't like it.
grab that lp and run, run away, dont look back encase ex, hubby comes to his senses and says it aint happnin......
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by kckyle
call up gibson, thats what i do everytime i'm investing in a gibson. and if it all checks out. get a glass case and lock it up against your wall then when you turn 18 you should be able to trade that for a car

That's actually a good idea. The glass case, I mean (I'm already 20 and I don't give a **** about cars when compared to guitars, lol). Are glass cases expensive?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
The Gibson looks genuine 70's deluxe model with mini humbuckers. Best way to find out is to reference the serial number or open up the cavities to check out the wood and hardware.
If it is the real deal, you should feel like you struck gold, seriously.
I'll buy that LP for 10 dollarsh

But seriously, you lucky SOB...I have to buy cheapo crappy guitars and you just find good stuff
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
I tried the Guitar Dater Project, but it says the guitar is from 1964 and Deluxes weren't made from until 1968 I'm quite sure. So either the site is incorrect or it's bad luck :/

..and the Gibson official serial site still doesn't work either.

And does anyone know anything about the brand DIA? The SG? It's Japanese but there's no information on to be found on the internet anywhere :/
(although it plays and sounds great so I'm not complaining)
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by sandman-105

They are mini-humbuckers.

I'm not sure it could be fake I'm leaning towards fake as there is no "Les Paul Model" on the headstock.

I dunno.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

I wish people learnt how to use a camera.

But anyway...

sweet guitar, never heard of DIA
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Quote by jigy-i-joe
I wish people learnt how to use a camera.

But anyway...

sweet guitar, never heard of DIA

I wish people learnt to use a dictionary, and to be relevant, it doesn't seem like a fake to me
Man, don't lock away that Les Paul. It's never going to be worth a HUGE amount, because it's not an early model, so I say play the bad boy! People who lock away nice guitars sadden me greatly. It's meant to be played and it's not made out of cotton wool, so start working on your blues licks boy

Never heard of DIA, but I know of Cimar. I've played their stuff before and it's always been good. You got a lucky find there mate.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
dude google gibson and go to the wikipedia page and theres a section on the serial # and an explanation (brain fart can't remember if thats how u spell it i just woke up im tired)
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by bornfidelity
That's actually a good idea. The glass case, I mean (I'm already 20 and I don't give a **** about cars when compared to guitars, lol). Are glass cases expensive?

sadly no, they are around 200 dollars. you can just hit up gibson with a email or phone call and they'll tell you everything you need to know. but i think more pitures are needed if you want them to validate it. after that. you should make some big profits on ebay
you are one lucky guy.

Enjoy!
Quote by guitarlover57
So what is this "pear", iv heard so much about? people on here keep talking about it and i have no idea what theyre saying,help me with this please!!
Quote by kckyle
sadly no, they are around 200 dollars. you can just hit up gibson with a email or phone call and they'll tell you everything you need to know. but i think more pitures are needed if you want them to validate it. after that. you should make some big profits on ebay

Why sadly no? You mean sadly yes? :p
But hey, I'm not going to sell it now. Besides I have my Strat and Explorer for 'playing' guitars, and the DIA SG as well. I don't really need to play this, right (although I definitely like to ^^). If I keep it in its current condition it's like a backup for whatever **** I might encounter further on in life. Maybe it could put my kids through college lol. ^_~
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Page 1 of 2