Hey UG,
A few days ago my friend, who is shopping for a new amp, asked me to do a recording of me taking my Fender HRD through all its channels and stuff. So, of course with nothing else to do, i did it for him and figured, "Hey maybe UG would like this too." It was just recorded with the built in mic of my Mac, but although its not a great recording, you can still hear how the amp sounds. its a pretty long recording, so you may want to skip around on it, or hey go ahead and listen to the whole thing haha. its in my profile, "Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Tone Test" or something similar.
Im hoping to do a better one in a couple weeks when i buy some better recording equipment.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
thanks, but what about the tone?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
there has to be someone who is considering this amp, at least pretend.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Nice playing on there. Now, I kinda tuned out after a while because I have short attention span, but I heard you say you're using a TS? Not strictly natural OD?

yeah i really didnt expect anyone to listen to the whole thing haha, i just get distracted and keep playing.
yes it was a tubescreamer. later on i go and use the drive channels as well. it is simply too loud to crank at home haha. even where i normally play i always have people stopping by because they heard me down the street.

thank you for the compliment.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
if you listen to the clip towards the end, you can hear how great the drive channel is when you use the Tubescreamer to tighten it up, it really cuts out all the fizzyness.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Sounds great.

I actually saw a guy in a cover band using a HRD earlier today.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Chea_man is the best.
Guitars
------------------

Epiphone SG w/seymour duncan JB's

Hagstrom Super Swede

Amp
-----------------

Traynor YCV50 BLUE

Pedals
------------------

Line 6 DL-4

Boss TU-2
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.

If I were chea_man I'd sig that
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.

Mmm...aural sex..

Quote by chea_man
if you listen to the clip towards the end, you can hear how great the drive channel is when you use the Tubescreamer to tighten it up, it really cuts out all the fizzyness.

I'll have to check it out again, then.

I've also heard of people biasing the amp to take 6V6's, and that really changes the character of the OD to something more usable.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Mmm...aural sex..

I'll have to check it out again, then.

I've also heard of people biasing the amp to take 6V6's, and that really changes the character of the OD to something more usable.

haha aural sex.
and yeah i have heard that 6V6s really help alot, im just afraid of changing the clean tones.
ive also heard that lower gain preamp tubes in the V2 and V3 position will help as well, but im prety happy with it as of now. im sure in a couple months ill play with some different tubes after some other purchases are squared away.

and also to the other guys are being so kind, thats alot. i appreiciate it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.

haha, and yeah, i think i will sig that.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by forsaknazrael
yeah, from what I understand, using 6V6's would lower the wattage a bit, to like 25-ish. So it wouldn't be as loud, obviously.

yeah i though of that too. im also wondering if it could be biased enough to use 6v6s, i would imagine 6l6 require much higher plate voltages than there 6v6 counterparts.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
and im shocked, usually when people who arent from where i am hear my voice, they make fun of my 'redneck" accent haha
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
yeah i though of that too. im also wondering if it could be biased enough to use 6v6s, i would imagine 6l6 require much higher plate voltages than there 6v6 counterparts.

Well, it's an topion at Eurotubes.com, I imagine Bob is doing something to make it work right.
My YCV40 normally runs 6L6/5881 tubes, but if I get a hot enough grade of KT77, those work right.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, it's an topion at Eurotubes.com, I imagine Bob is doing something to make it work right.
My YCV40 normally runs 6L6/5881 tubes, but if I get a hot enough grade of KT77, those work right.

if he sells them like that then im sure they would work, he knows his stuff.
have you ever tried KT77s in it?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
ive never had the chance to play an amp with those in it. i bet its awesome.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Aww sweet. ill be using that mic tommorow at our show. my bass player just called me up and said he bought new subwoofers so we will def. be micing everything up. we get done, and then the town is having their fireworks. it should be great. i cannot wait.
i cant wait to hear recordings of that amp. soon ill be getting myself some better recording stuff so ill do some more stuff soon. i want to get clips of my gibson and my bassman up.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
actually last weekend we played an outdoor show. it was really unorganized so they asked if we would play an hour later than we were scheduled. they had no time to let us set up so i played unmic'd. needless to say, i had no cleans haha. the amp starts to break up a bit at about 4, and its really really loud. it shakes the entire house, but outside its not so bad. however i love cleans. i would like to have a twin reverb for out door concerts, and a super reverb for large indoor concerts, and maybe a deluxe for smaler gigs. haha theres a reason fender made those amps.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
mines an open back too. that must be why i HATE my tone when im outdoors.
i cant play when i think the tone is bad, its so uninspiring. unless im really loud in the monitor and it can be ok i guess.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
i would be afraid of putting it up against a wall. the back of my amp gets so hot that i literally cant touch it. even my on/off switch will burn you if you dont turn it off fast enough.
ive considered putting a board on the back of it, making it a psuedo-closed back.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Eargasmic! This was one of the amps I considered.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Mine gets pretty hot too, I wouldn't say it'd burn you, but it gets hot. I blame that one the fact that the tops are all turned down, and the preamp tubes are enclosed inside the chassis (You have to open a panel up to get to them. :mad ). Still, I don't think it's really a hazard.
I mean, putting it to a wall is about the same lack of ventilation that using a guitar case or bolting on a plank of wood would give ya.
Quote by leondb
Eargasmic! This was one of the amps I considered.

what amp did you choose instead?
lately ive been itching to buy a new amp, but im still pretty happy with this, 90% of the time anyway haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Mine gets pretty hot too, I wouldn't say it'd burn you, but it gets hot. I blame that one the fact that the tops are all turned down, and the preamp tubes are enclosed inside the chassis (You have to open a panel up to get to them. :mad ). Still, I don't think it's really a hazard.
I mean, putting it to a wall is about the same lack of ventilation that using a guitar case or bolting on a plank of wood would give ya.

yeah thats a good point. tommorow ill be outdoors so ill probably try that.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I ended up getting a Kustom Defender. I've been thinking for a while about getting the Supersonic as my gigging amp.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Quote by leondb
I ended up getting a Kustom Defender. I've been thinking for a while about getting the Supersonic as my gigging amp.

ive never heard of a Kustom defender, ill have to go look it up.
and supersonics are really really versatile, but dont really excell at the few things i need an amp to do. really nice amps though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.