hey ug im looking for a new distortion pedal and i want something that has alot of distortion but doesnt sound like crap. Im looking at either a mt-2 metal zone or a digitech metal master? I know that the metalzone sounds pretty good cause my guitar teacher has it but i've only read reviews on the metal master. What do you guys think? and im playing through a line 6 spider 3 15watt
I know this is boring, but just stick with your amp and get better. Line 6 Spiders have a lot of distortion. As you're getting better, save money until you can get a tube amp. I know that's boring and takes a long time, but it's the best way to get a good sound. A good guitar, through a good amp, being played by a good guitarist makes a good sound...not a good pedal.
Neither pedal is much better than the dist channel on your spider. Just save your cash.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
How can a distortion pedal be worse than spiders distortion? have you really tried it or are you saying what others say?
Quote by chaoticplague
hey ug im looking for a new distortion pedal and i want something that has alot of distortion but doesnt sound like crap. Im looking at either a mt-2 metal zone or a digitech metal master? I know that the metalzone sounds pretty good cause my guitar teacher has it but i've only read reviews on the metal master. What do you guys think? and im playing through a line 6 spider 3 15watt

The MT2 is an appalling pedal.

Save yor money, you're not going to get anything better than the Spider's onboard distortion from a pedal.

Quote by blind.quardian
How can a distortion pedal be worse than spiders distortion? have you really tried it or are you saying what others say?

Nobody said that, they just said it wouldn't be any better, which is true.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Heard the spiders distortion was digital. at least a pedal should be noticably better than that or am i wrong??
Why i like my MT-2. I honestly don't understand metal zone bashing here. I've played the metal muff and other pedals too and it's better than them. Maybe you're too lazy to explore a pedal.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
I have terrible experience with high gain pedals. They always sound bad. Regular distortion and overdrive sounds good, but high gain...those pedals aren't so good. Just use the Spider's distortion! It sounded better than those pedals to me. It's just a practice amp anyway...just save up for good stuff...and get better with what you have!
Quote by Attack
Why i like my MT-2. I honestly don't understand metal zone bashing here. I've played the metal muff and other pedals too and it's better than them. Maybe you're too lazy to explore a pedal.

I'm extremely finicky about my tone and will muck around for hours getting it right - that being the case I know sh1te when I hear it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
hmmmm... metal zone pedals give you a mosquito tone... as did the upgrade pedal after it... the name escapes me... dunno if you can still get the boss sd-2 pedals. two channel pedals that give valves a great sound.

but yr amp is a practice amp... dont think that a pedal makes everything better, then again... the pedal can be used on yr next amp :-)
So what you advice to a kid who cant buy a tube amp cos theyre too big and loud for house use for me and i want a good gain.... i have a micro cube but guess im not happy with it... if i sell it and add money lets say buy a laney lg-20 and a metal muff would i be able to eq and find the tone i want?
valve amps have volume knobs... as do most others. the cube... is that the roland amp?
i have no idea how much amps are where you are... im in a third world country where that **** is expensive... so the cube is cool... its a beginner amp. i wouldnt go for a line 6 unless its the live xt but you'll have to bribe me. is a fender blues amp more than what you aiming to pay? if it isnt then cool... you'll have great cleans... add a distortion pedal... also try the peavey classics... most peaveys have that scooped mid sound that alot of metal players go for... the speakers are bright (except the new 5150, way out of price range)
I live in turkey and i dont think ill buy a tube amp and also i now have a micro cube but not happy with it cos it doesnt have a eq so im thinking for a eq pedal but a different amp and a distortion pedal looks like a better idea.
ok... what is the sound you going for? gimme a couple of bands who's sound you really like
I actually find most peaveys to have accentuated mids compared to most other amps (besides marshall, uber mids there).
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
thats true... but they are harsh... ok, my fender is very bright and witha maple neck i'm not makin it any easier... but peavey just has that sound that i could never get used to. framus dragon... now theres an amp but way off topic
Quote by evolucian
ok... what is the sound you going for? gimme a couple of bands who's sound you really like

hmm in flames, children of bodom, bullet for my valentine, at the gates are some band i like i also would like to play some power metal kind of....
Quote by blind.quardian
hmm in flames, children of bodom, bullet for my valentine, at the gates are some band i like i also would like to play some power metal kind of....

bakma bunlara metal zone al derim. catir catir distortion anlamaz bu tipler.
Quote by Attack
bakma bunlara metal zone al derim. catir catir distortion anlamaz bu tipler.

hehehe ezberlemişler baya da metal zone da çok seçenekli gibi değil metal muff almayı düşünüyorum
what i recommend to my students who are beginners with equipment to take a cube... play with it for a while and find your sound. seeing as you dont want valve then maybe a marshall mg50. i know that in flames uses peavey (last time i checked... they had it backstage with dummy amps in front). you dont wanna go too loud so a 50 would be ok and it'll cut thru the mix in band practice with everyone going nuts. you want a laney, good sound... it made paul gilbert happy for a while and tony iommi made a good go of it. take yr guitar with you when you try out an amp. play it in a room thats equivalent to where you play at home (there has to be at least one room thats similar) and from there on let your ears guide you. put the eq flat on the amp (which is in the middle, not zero) and listen to the sound, let it sustain for a while... if it makes yr balls tingle... go for it... thats about the best i can say.... hope it helps
Quote by evolucian
what i recommend to my students who are beginners with equipment to take a cube... play with it for a while and find your sound. seeing as you dont want valve then maybe a marshall mg50. i know that in flames uses peavey (last time i checked... they had it backstage with dummy amps in front). you dont wanna go too loud so a 50 would be ok and it'll cut thru the mix in band practice with everyone going nuts. you want a laney, good sound... it made paul gilbert happy for a while and tony iommi made a good go of it. take yr guitar with you when you try out an amp. play it in a room thats equivalent to where you play at home (there has to be at least one room thats similar) and from there on let your ears guide you. put the eq flat on the amp (which is in the middle, not zero) and listen to the sound, let it sustain for a while... if it makes yr balls tingle... go for it... thats about the best i can say.... hope it helps

You recommend a Marshall MG?

50 watts?

nooooo.
Quote by evolucian

most of this forum will flame you for advicing a marshall mg xD xD i dont need 50 watts not even 30 watts.... i will only play it at home at the lowest volume possible... 15 watt is more than enough.
nope... i know theyre crap... but he wants small and not valve... a spider 3 is just as bad (ducks all attacks hopefully) but his heart seems set on laney... not much more to say
lol... well i put my foot in it again... i'm used to it... i dont play marshall... too muddy for me... but hey... its there
Quote by blind.quardian
most of this forum will flame you for advicing a marshall mg xD xD i dont need 50 watts not even 30 watts.... i will only play it at home at the lowest volume possible... 15 watt is more than enough.

My friend had micro cube for home playing and he didn't like it so he bought Boss GT-8. It has many features and great for home playing and doesn't require an amplifier at all.
the gt-8 aint bad... and nor is the guitar rig 3... a friend of mine uses the gt8 direct into the recording console... gets great sound... i guess its all in the ears of the buyer
Its too much for me.... It has more than i need.... I just want a normal clean tone and a good distortion.
take yr guitar to the shop... use your ears... dont listen to the salesman... trust your ears