untill now ive been under the impression that scale runs are boring and uncreative but why in this short clip and many others just shred up and down a scale? is it just lack of creativity or do some people really think that sounds good?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Well it is boring if you just go up and down it.

It does sound more interesting when you throw in funky patterns, and skip notes, throw in some string skips, and perhaps stuff like that

All in moderation
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
Well it is boring if you just go up and down it.

It does sound more interesting when you throw in funky patterns, and skip notes, throw in some string skips, and perhaps stuff like that

All in moderation

thats what i thought but i swear he just goes up the minor scale and then down it at one point there

It sounds cool in my opinion if you do it maybe once in a solo. I may throw a quick scale run in at the end, finishing a a really big bend. That's only if I'm specifically trying to 'shred' though.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
There's nothing wrong with it. Everyone uses scale runs at some point. "Boring" is subjective.
To each his own.

I personally love it. I'm not a douchebag that says emotion has a speed limit or that using theory is stupid.

Edit: Holy crap. It's super ironic that you say that with a Metallica avatar. Guess what Kirk (my hero) does? You guessed it. Look at his solos. Look for E minor pentatonic, E minor, or even B Phrygian.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Make it tasteful, that's all I can say. Maybe use an odd grouping of notes as opposed to just 16th notes or something. There's nothing wrong with using them, after all that's pretty much what Cadenza's are: scale runs mixed with arpeggios and little bits of motifs (Finishing on the tonic chord/note).
Quote by metallicafan616
untill now ive been under the impression that scale runs are boring and uncreative but why in this short clip and many others just shred up and down a scale? is it just lack of creativity or do some people really think that sounds good?

scale runs are part of music.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by metallicafan616
untill now ive been under the impression that scale runs are boring and uncreative

That's pretty much an untrue impression.

"Scale runs" are basically diatonic 2nd intervals. A very useful and fine interval.
It's basically 1 musical idea and even with that 1 idea there's a lot of variations
you can apply to it that can create a lot of different musical lines of interest.

Still, it's only 1 idea. If that's all you use in your solos, then probably they will get
boring and uninteresting after a while. Fortunately there's plenty of other musical
ideas to base lines off of. Anything can be overdone if you use it over and over.
That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the original idea.
Quote by metallicafan616
Scalar runs are good during improvising when you get hit with the uncreative stick (happens to me when I drink/stay up too late). If you cant think of anything creative, you have a couple of choices. You could: sustain a chord tone until your creativity comes back, do a scalar run, play one of your favourite licks (transposed to fit obviously), play arpeggios of the chord playing or you could crap your pants and hope its all over soon.
A good solo shouldnt JUST be a mixed amalgamation of what I've just listed, especially not the latter. But lets face it, we're just musicians, its not like we're THAT creative or anything, so use scalar runs if your feeling uncreative.
Quote by metal4all
To each his own.

I personally love it. I'm not a douchebag that says emotion has a speed limit or that using theory is stupid.

Edit: Holy crap. It's super ironic that you say that with a Metallica avatar. Guess what Kirk (my hero) does? You guessed it. Look at his solos. Look for E minor pentatonic, E minor, or even B Phrygian.

i don't care about the 'emotion' crap that people say - how do you know how much emotion was put into the song? tbh its just an excuse not to push yourself to being a better guitarist.

and also, i have a metallica logo because james and kirk are why i picked up the guitar, i don't particularly like them anymore.

i think they are very useful and impressive.
listen to brian may on bohemian rhapsody. the short scale runs give it a very VERY emotive, triumphant, and full on awesome sound
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by edg
That's pretty much an untrue impression.

"Scale runs" are basically diatonic 2nd intervals. A very useful and fine interval.
It's basically 1 musical idea and even with that 1 idea there's a lot of variations
you can apply to it that can create a lot of different musical lines of interest.

Still, it's only 1 idea. If that's all you use in your solos, then probably they will get
boring and uninteresting after a while. Fortunately there's plenty of other musical
ideas to base lines off of. Anything can be overdone if you use it over and over.
That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the original idea.

Well, that's better than what i was going to say, so, er... +1.
no there isnt anything wrong with using scale runs. but yes they can get boring after a while. if thats all you do, then yea its going to sound boring. but usually people dont only play runs. plus there are many ways to arrange a scale. when you put them into different sequences they can sound really interesting. like just going up or down in groups of 3 or 4 will sound more interesting than straight up and down. and there are many other things you can do really. plus, things like that are good to practice because then you have these burned in your memory and dont have to think about anything when playing fast. and eventually you can mix these sequences together with each other and make things even more interesting.