a metal player who is phenomenal and has outstanding chops in that genre,or a player who is very proficient in blues,funk,,rock,and metal and has a good set of chops in each?
i would say someone who is good at all types of genres is better then one who just focuses on one
Buckethead wins at every genre
Quote by Pinky19
My guitar is so ugly, it makes me wanna punch a baby.
The one who has variety and is open-minded.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
The guy who can play a bit of everything.
But then, like creeping.death! said, it's fairly subjective.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Chris Broderick?

Plays anything like a beast thats why hes awesome
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
John Petrucci is consider a progressive metal player, but you can hear alot of different genres in his solos, i like him the most.

Im not really sure if that answers your question or not hahaha

Petrucci ftw.
The latter. Focusing on just one genre is too limiting - what if you have the opportunity to jam with some jazz cats, but can't do so? What kind of excuse would you have?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The one who can play the music he/she hears in his/her head.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by Jehuty
Never seen him play blues.

I've seen him play slow melodies, thrash, metal, rock, bass slapping, banjo shredding, guitar shredding, chicken picking and country.

I really, really doubt that he can't play blues.
well im not a fan of the blues or jazz. although im also not a big fan on heavy metal and stuff. I would say a famous rock guitarist, who can do the fastest and the most exciting solos, and write great songs that you get stuck in your head and you want to play!
That was kinda bluesy at parts indeed. Interesting.

Though I'd still like to see him play blues, restricted to the minor or major pentatonic. Lets see what he comes up with then.

I have no doubt he'lld be able to pull off something nice, I was just wondering about it.
Quote by Jehuty
That was kinda bluesy at parts indeed. Interesting.

Though I'd still like to see him play blues, restricted to the minor or major pentatonic. Lets see what he comes up with then.

I have no doubt he'lld be able to pull off something nice, I was just wondering about it.

He can't play blues, unless he gets a mask that makes ugly faces every time he bends.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
He can't play blues, unless he gets a mask that makes ugly faces every time he bends.

Oh god, I lol'd so hard.

But as said before he has blues influence in some of his songs - namely, Too Many Humans, Sail On Soothsayer... but I have yet to see him outright play the blues except when he covers Hendrix.

He's also played The Thrill is Gone, by B.B. King... I guess that IS outright blues. Look it up on YouTube.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Herman ri
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Raijouta
Oh god, I lol'd so hard.

But as said before he has blues influence in some of his songs - namely, Too Many Humans, Sail On Soothsayer... but I have yet to see him outright play the blues except when he covers Hendrix.

He's also played The Thrill is Gone, by B.B. King... I guess that IS outright blues. Look it up on YouTube.

Does he improvise it? Or does he play it note for note?

I really wouldn't call it playing the blues when you play someone elses track note for note.
I would say the metal player. Usually metal players will be able to play a bunch of other stuff. Sure metal is a lot of chugging on the low e and is kinda similar throughout, but in the better players you can hear there lots of different genres in there playing. EVH, Petrucci, and everyone else. Randy Rhoads was a fan of classical music but he wrote some of the most known riffs in metal. So i think a great metal guitarist is one that can (check this word out) CONGLAMOURATE! which is like put together all the different genres and make the song very interesting.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Orange 1x12 Cab with Vintage 30's.
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

i would take a guy that is insane at every genre involving guitar aka: Paul Gilbert. he even does flaminco
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
There is no spoon better.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT