I was just wondering exactly what difference string types will make to your sound and also the difference between roundwound, flatwound etc. I realise I should probably know this after playing bass for 3 years, but I've been put into the mindset that strings are bought to replace snapped strings, rather than to provide a different sound. i obviously realise I was wrong now, and would like to rectify my mistakes. Any chance of some help?
round= bright, punchy, better sustain
flat= bassy, smooth, thumpy
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'm no expert when it comes to strings so take what I say with a grain of salt. Different material vibrates differently which causes different sound.

As for the difference between roundwound and flatwound, is the string shape. Roundwound, well the strings are round, meaning only a single point on the surface of the string touches the frets. Flatwound on the other hand the surface is flat, therefore the whole string touches the fret meaning there is less chance for it to cause fret buzz. Flatwounds are mostly used on fretless basses because they don't damage the neck.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Thanks alot for the advice, I'll probably end up getting roundwounds since that's more of my style. Also, I don't have a fretless, at least not yet.
it's not just for fretless, it is for sounding like either an upright or a really old band.

but I suggest rounds anyway, they seem to fit most music better
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Ranxston
I'm no expert when it comes to strings so take what I say with a grain of salt. Different material vibrates differently which causes different sound.

As for the difference between roundwound and flatwound, is the string shape. Roundwound, well the strings are round, meaning only a single point on the surface of the string touches the frets. Flatwound on the other hand the surface is flat, therefore the whole string touches the fret meaning there is less chance for it to cause fret buzz. Flatwounds are mostly used on fretless basses because they don't damage the neck.

Flatwound strings consist of a round core string with a ribbon-like, flat string wrapped around it, whereas roundwounds have a round string around another round string. Flatwounds are smoother and last longer because the have much less surface area for corrosion and dirt.

There is no such thing as a bass string like you described.
Arbitror, I understood what he meant. even if you think he was talking about a metal peice of ribbon.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I play a lot of different types of music and I usually use EB Hybrids which are roundwound. I have them on a Geddy Jazz. I also have a Jazz(MIM)that has flats on it. I use it when I play a lot of country music, more of the older country when I want the "thump" sound.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
Quote by the humanity
it's not just for fretless, it is for sounding like either an upright or a really old band.

Yeah I know it's not only for fretless, which is why I used mostly to say that most people who get flatwounds are for their fretless.

Quote by Arbitror

Flatwound strings consist of a round core string with a ribbon-like, flat string wrapped around it, whereas roundwounds have a round string around another round string. Flatwounds are smoother and last longer because the have much less surface area for corrosion and dirt.

There is no such thing as a bass string like you described.

First learn how to read, at the very beginning I say to take my post with a grain of salt. Second a flatwound wire is still flatter than a roundwound string because of the tape like wire compared to the round wire of a roundwound. I wasn't speaking about core wire, I meant the wrapping.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
I have a bit of related question here. Has anyone tried half round strings? If so what's the sound attraction with them? I've been tempted to pick up a set of D'addario Half Round strings, but I didn't want to blow 20 USD on something that I wasn't too certain of, tonal quality wise.
Quote by the humanity

I wouldn't lump flatwounds in with uprights and 'old bands'. Look at Steve Harris from Iron Maiden, he uses flatwounds and I love his tone.

I just think you have to experiment with strings, as you can't tell whether you'll like them or not until you put them on your bass. I know I'm definetely going to try some flats sometime soon.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
I wouldn't lump flatwounds in with uprights and 'old bands'. Look at Steve Harris from Iron Maiden, he uses flatwounds and I love his tone.

I just think you have to experiment with strings, as you can't tell whether you'll like them or not until you put them on your bass. I know I'm definetely going to try some flats sometime soon.

yes, but Steve Harris is an unusual bassist.

and in the eyes of pop culture, Iron Maiden is old.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by anarkee
I have a bit of related question here. Has anyone tried half round strings? If so what's the sound attraction with them? I've been tempted to pick up a set of D'addario Half Round strings, but I didn't want to blow 20 USD on something that I wasn't too certain of, tonal quality wise.

From what I know, they are designed to be a midpoint between rounds and flats. The new tone of half wounds is supposed to be similar to that of slightly dead rounds.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1