My guitar should be here monday and i want some tips for practicing. What did you guys do when first starting out?
To begin with I think I learned simple chords (A, C, E, G etc...) and tried to learn simple songs with those on them as well as simple scale shapes (natural minor, minor pentatonic, major). Chromatic exercises are also good for basic finger strength and dexterity.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
All the basic open chords
I didnt do these exactly when starting out, but in the long run being able to do scales and chomatic exercises are a good idea
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Work on your alternate picking a lot. The chromatic and pentatonic scale will also really help.
alternate picking,
and scales
and then, do scales while alternate picking!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
To begin with I think I learned simple chords (A, C, E, G etc...) and tried to learn simple songs with those on them as well as simple scale shapes (natural minor, minor pentatonic, major). Chromatic exercises are also good for basic finger strength and dexterity.

+1

At the end of the day you want to be playing something recognisable as music as quickly as possible, chords is the path of least resistance at the start.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com