Let me start by saying that I've been in the market for a good tube amp for some time. I had decided on an ENGL Screamer, but with shipping its going to over $1500...which is a little tight. So I started looking at other amps, including marshall dsl 401, peavey 5150, valveking 212, and classic 30. There were things l liked about all the amps. I loved the ENGL totally...I mean, its the best amp I've heard without actually playing on it. I loved the tone of the marshall for classic rock and blues and the clean channel was nice too. Then I listed extensively to the Peavey Classic 30 which has a lovely clean channel and a great classic rock tone. The classic 30 happens to be the least expensive of the bunch to that's why I'm leaning towards it instead of the marshall which is almost as $$ as the ENGL. However, I love to play metal which the ENGL could handle easily, but for the Peavey Classic 30 I'm gonna need a pedal . I've listed to a lot of clips on youtube for both the uber metal and the metal muff and I'm strongly leaning towards the uber metal. Suggestions from experience?
in the long run, you would be happy if you saved and got the Engl.

as for a distortion pedal, metal muff or if you can get a ZVex Box of Metal
Distortion pedals suck. All of them are trash(IMO). Its an insult to a good tube amp to use one

Look at other options besides those you listed, and look used
Quote by patriotplayer90
Distortion pedals suck. All of them are trash(IMO)

go and play the BOM, then come back.
Quote by Ghold125
go and play the BOM, then come back.

I have never played or heard a convincing distortion pedal, overdrives are the way to go
You could also consider used. I have seen DSL 401 for around 500 bucks. Also, since your in Canada, take a look at Traynor. Back to the Classic 30....Great Amp for the price!

You may want to consider an OD/Tubescreamer option to up the gain...Bad Monkey's are a good option for their low cost. That said, I dig my nasty Big Muff Pi....so I'm sure the Metal Muff would be cool.
I've never considered Traynor. Do they make good metal amps? Can you recommend one for metal under $1000 (tube)?
Someone else will have to help with that answer, but the 50 watt blue seemed to have quite a bit of gain - the ONE time I demo'd it. Actually, pretty nice amp!

Quote by afrika18
I've never considered Traynor. Do they make good metal amps? Can you recommend one for metal under $1000 (tube)?
EGNL or Rockatron silver dragon, tube distortion pedal ftw
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
yea...maybe I will wait for the ENGL. Last time I got impatient I bought a vox valvetronix. I took it back the next day though, so at least I came to my senses.
Yes, save up for the amp you ultimately want. That's the best decision i made and i would've regretted buying the othe rgear that iw ante djust because it wasin my pricerange at the time.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Distortion pedals suck. All of them are trash(IMO). Its an insult to a good tube amp to use one

Look at other options besides those you listed, and look used

STOP USING DISTORTION STMP BOXES ON SS AMPS -.-
seriosuly its the only way you can get let down by one. that or your using them on a mg or spyder or something along those lines.
If metal is what you play, and you're consiering at least some fairly expensive amps, stay away from the classic 30. I'll let others give better metal suggestions.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by convictionless
STOP USING DISTORTION STMP BOXES ON SS AMPS -.-
seriosuly its the only way you can get let down by one. that or your using them on a mg or spyder or something along those lines.

As weird as this sounds my MM actually sounds a lot better through my old MG than through my 6505+. I know that defies all logic and theoretically shouldn't be but it is what it is.