I like hard blues rock, like Eric Clapton or Guns N Roses, and I aspire to write that kind of music, with good vocals (not so much in the case of Guns :P) and nice lyrics, but lots of guitar riffs, lead fills, and solos, based on blues scales and stuff.
Problem is, all the music I write ends up sounding poppy, based off open chords and love songs, which is really not what I want. I just can't for the life of me make solos and riffs fit the songs.
I've been told I need to stop trying to be someone else and be me, but I just want to emphasise my guitar more. I'm starting a band soon, so hopefully, they'll take some responsibilities off of me, allowing me to focus on lead.

Has this ever happened to any of you? How did you get over it?
Here's how I solve it.

If you end up writing poppy sounding songs, keep writing them. Just don't use them, just write and write until what you really like comes naturally to you. I end up writing stuff that sounds nowhere near what I write for my band, and I just don't use the fully written songs.

Hoped that helps.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by gabcd86
I like hard blues rock, like Eric Clapton or Guns N Roses, and I aspire to write that kind of music, with good vocals (not so much in the case of Guns :P) and nice lyrics, but lots of guitar riffs, lead fills, and solos, based on blues scales and stuff.
Problem is, all the music I write ends up sounding poppy, based off open chords and love songs, which is really not what I want. I just can't for the life of me make solos and riffs fit the songs.
I've been told I need to stop trying to be someone else and be me, but I just want to emphasise my guitar more. I'm starting a band soon, so hopefully, they'll take some responsibilities off of me, allowing me to focus on lead.

Has this ever happened to any of you? How did you get over it?

I've experienced this problem as well & that's a really stupid one especially if you don't like pop music. And I have to agree with Slatyanic1993 , you have to keep writing until you get what you want. Personally I try to write a bit heavy & riffy tunes so it can't sound poppy at all I don't write lyrics YET so I still haven't experienced the 2nd problem. Just try to express your feelings in your music & if it sounds too poppy, then try to add a bit anger to the feelings LOL!!! Then it would definately sound rockish! :P I hope I helped Wish You Good Luck In forming a band
^^What they said is good advice. It's good that you're not satisfied with your playing, because then you're motivated to improve. And if hard rock and blues is what you like, then that is your playing. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

A little tidbit of advice for you is to avoid using too many half-steps in your solos. Try going more off pentatonic scales. Don't avoid them completely, because then you'll get stuck in the blues rut. Experiment with them, and when you do use a half-step, make it matter. Personally, I've come to find that when and where you play half-steps is the trickiest and most important part in your style.
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.