Well, I'm planning on making my very first guitar, an old Johnson strat style, into a slide guitar. However, the pickups are very weak, so they'll need replaced. So, what kind of pick ups do you guys recommend for a skynyrd slide tone?
Last edited by justnmcknz at Jul 4, 2008,
They probably need adjusted seeing as it was my very first guitar. I got it in 98. It was about 100 dollars for the guitar, case, and amp. So I want to upgrade to a better pickup... Which gives a better slide tone, a humbucker or single coil? My guitar came stock with a single coil, but if a humbucker sounds better then I'd have no problem making room for a humbucker...
Last edited by justnmcknz at Jul 4, 2008,
Right. Well, like I'm saying, try raising the pickup height first, see what that does for you.

What kind of amp are you using?

EDIT for your EDIT: Depends. Derek Trucks does a great slide tone on his humbuckers. When I saw ZZ Top live, Gibbons used this great Goldtop P-90 (A type of single coil.) Les Paul for his slide work, and it sounded AWESOME. Your guitar would need to be routed fora humbucker though. Check under your pickguard.
I guess i'll stick with a single coil. I have a Fender G-dec, it's not the best as far as sound goes, but it's a good practice amp.