I am looking to saturate my heavy metal tone on the ultra and crunch channel tone on my Peavey XXX. What would suit me more, an overdrive pedal, or a boost pedal? If I am too broad, please ask questions.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Coming Soon)
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish and Chips

Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by neon10th at Jul 4, 2008,
Are you talking for saturation on everything or just solos? A boost pretty much will just make your signal seem hotter and will distort more, an overdrive will do a better job of thickening up your sound.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
I'm talking about a more saturated rhythm tone. The Peavey XXX has so much gain, that it gets muddy past 12 o' clock. But, I want the signal to be more "full" and have more sustain, if you know what I mean. Would a Digitech Bad Monkey suffice?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
i think the bad monkey would do a pretty decentjob

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I'm having the same problem.

I have an Ampeg Gemini 1x12 (my dad's from when we started playing in 1968).

I want to get an OD that can go from transparent (almost clean) to a slight 80's crunch.

I dont want to have to turn my amp up past 3 or 4 (TOO LOUD!!!), so a boost may not work.

Also, when listing, please dont list any "obscure" brands (i.e. Fulltone, VooDoo Labs, Rocktron, etc.)

Only "main" brands (i.e. Boss, Digitech, EHX, MXR, etc.)

Also, this will be used for a rythm sound.
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
you just hijacked this thread nepute1988, haha, wtf?
although an OCD would be perfect for you, you wont buy a Fulltone. so about your only choice is a tubescreamer or its clones.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
dude you completely hijacked this thread...annnd you have your own thread already meant to answer this. dont do that.

and yeah, it depends. Id go with the fulltone ocd. It can be ysed as either a boost or an overdrive. It wont really change your signal, unless you use the tone control, but it will thicken it up, regardless of how you use it.

EDIT: ^^ haha dammnn...i took too long to write that one...
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
^^ haha dammnn...i took too long to write that one...

haha, that happens to me all the time
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
would a Digitech Bad Monkey work (for the money at least)?
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
duuuuude ask in your own damn thread.

haha and yeah, i take forever to write mine...so by the time i answer, its already been said
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
dude you completely hijacked this thread...

It's 9/11 all over again. Damn hijacker.
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Quote by neptune1988
I'm having the same problem.

I have an Ampeg Gemini 1x12 (my dad's from when we started playing in 1968).

I want to get an OD that can go from transparent (almost clean) to a slight 80's crunch.

I dont want to have to turn my amp up past 3 or 4 (TOO LOUD!!!), so a boost may not work.

Also, when listing, please dont list any "obscure" brands (i.e. Fulltone, VooDoo Labs, Rocktron, etc.)

Only "main" brands (i.e. Boss, Digitech, EHX, MXR, etc.)

Also, this will be used for a rythm sound.

If you're willing to spend the money..

Xotic BB Preamp will do both clean boost AND overdrive. They are like $186 new though.

As for the TS, you want an Overdrive pedal. Look into a Maxon OD 808 or Krank Krankshaft.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I am just making sure, will an overdrive pedal be able to provide me with smooth lead tones?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
yes, it will. preferably, the ocd, but any overdrive would in theory work, the results just wont sound as good depending on what you get.