i am planning to build an esquire over the summer

one problem... i am not sure how the wiring is supposed to go. i know it has the volume, tone and three way switch. i have no clue what the use for a three way switch on a one pickup guitar is for. so if anyone could inform me on the wiring scheme for the esquire, it would be greatly appreciated.

i also had an idea to wire the three way like such:
1st: pickup selected
2nd: pickup out of phase
3rd: direct bypass (bypass the volume/tone knobs and go directly to the output jack, to have the least amount of impadence as possible)

is the second one possible? just asking. no definite plan on the wiring until i learn more on the actual wiring.
Here are some:
standard -

standard with tone control in the rear position -

simple -

Fender actually has the 50's wiring on their site, pdf here
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at Jul 4, 2008,
if that's the real wiring, i think i'll just stick with my idea. is the 'fixed bassy tone' actually a result of how you wire it or is it just like rolling your tone pot back?
It's fixed because it's just the pickup through the capacitor, like rolling your tone pot back.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Epiphone 1966 Limited Edition G-400
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Egnater Tweaker 112 combo
You can't put a single coil out of phase with itself, so your 2 position wouldn't work. The "fixed bassy" tone on the original esquire wiring was really muddy and pretty much unusable. I'd replace the .05 caps with .015 or .022s or a combination thereof.
I didn't think the fixed 'bassy' tone was totally unusable, just really ugly clean. Through a fuzz it sounds quite nice, in my opinion. Playing around with the cap values is a very good idea though.
Here's an idea - You could use the switch to coil-tap the pickup.
Quote by jimRH7
Here's an idea - You could use the switch to coil-tap the pickup.

It's a single coil, man, that won't work.

Maybe you could create a little boost circuit and wire that in so that it comes on in the 2nd position?

Dunno, just an idea for something else you could have there.
ok. i have my final desision:
2nd: boost.
3rd: direct out (see 1st post)

for the boost, i will install a BYOC confidence booster. you get one free with your fist purchase ayways, and i am planning on building their fuzz.

i will also be installing a black ice OD. For those who dont know, black ice is an internal overdrive unit that can be mounted on the tone pot. so, i will have a push/pull tone pot or perhaps a concetric pot on the tone knob.
Quote by snot_foster25
It's a single coil, man, that won't work.

Maybe you could create a little boost circuit and wire that in so that it comes on in the 2nd position?

Dunno, just an idea for something else you could have there.

You're thinking coil split. Coil tapping is when you use less windings on a coil. Coil tapping would work.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Quote by VoiceOfTheSoul
You're thinking coil split. Coil tapping is when you use less windings on a coil. Coil tapping would work.

whats the difference between coil tapping and coil splitting?
i always use them interchangeably.
Coil splitting is when you use one coil on a humbucker. Coil tapping is when you use less windings on a single coil.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Quote by VoiceOfTheSoul
Coil splitting is when you use one coil on a humbucker. Coil tapping is when you use less windings on a single coil.

And what would that sound like?
Just lower output. Like the SD Quarter-Pound, tele or strat doesn't matter. It's wound to something like 13 or 14k and it can be tapped to use only enough windings to be about 7k.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Quote by Jhachey22
ok. i have my final desision:
2nd: boost.

for the boost, i will install a BYOC confidence booster. you get one free with your fist purchase ayways, and i am planning on building their fuzz.

i will also be installing a black ice OD. For those who dont know, black ice is an internal overdrive unit that can be mounted on the tone pot. so, i will have a push/pull tone pot or perhaps a concetric pot on the tone knob.

I like the boost idea, but the black ice sounds awful. It's just two diodes, and it's passive so it's really dry and horrid sounding, like those old "Gorilla" practice amps we all used to have with the overdrive button. I'd stick with the boost. Use the concentric pot for regular volume and boosted volume.
I like the boost idea, but the black ice sounds awful. It's just two diodes, and it's passive so it's really dry and horrid sounding, like those old "Gorilla" practice amps we all used to have with the overdrive button. I'd stick with the boost. Use the concentric pot for regular volume and boosted volume.

actually, i just had an idea. maybe i could add, instead of a boost, a SPC (strat presence control) in the tone as a push pull. just a mid boost to make the tele Pickup fatter sounding.
Quote by Jhachey22

I did this to my bass, And it sounds awsome, It sounds, like, crystal clear.

It's alot louder than it was - I usually plug into the active socket on the amp and have the gain at 0 ! Which is good cos That's one of the reasons I did it, it was far too quiet (mind you, we were practicing with a 15 watt, which might explain it!)
Quote by VoiceOfTheSoul

Looks like I've learnt something here as well. Sorry for mis-correcting you, jimRH7, ignorance is clearly not bliss.

Since this has become an exercise in being wrong me for me, I might as well learn something. How do you coil tap a pickup? I can't see how you could only use some windings and not others on a pup.
Quote by snot_foster25
Looks like I've learnt something here as well. Sorry for mis-correcting you, jimRH7, ignorance is clearly not bliss.

Since this has become an exercise in being wrong me for me, I might as well learn something. How do you coil tap a pickup? I can't see how you could only use some windings and not others on a pup.

That's a good point, I think you can buy semore duncans with the coils already tapped, But other than that I think you might have to either rewind the pickup from scratch, or take some of the windings off, solder on one of the bleeding wires, then wind on more wire and finish it off.

I really don't have any experience in this, though.
Yeah, you'll have unwind a bit, solder a wire out from it and then rewind with another wire from it as jimRH7 said.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ