So I'm trying to pick a sport for me to do. I've narrowed it down to two choices: motorcross and mountain biking. I know quite a bit about motorcross, but I started researching mountain bikes since they're less dangerous and I'm really confused. I'm hoping some of you mountain bikers here on UG can clear this up for me. I've seen two types of mountain bikers:
people like this: http://www.ncdc.gov.uk/media/images/b/n/MountainBiker_640.jpg
and people like this: http://www.lochalsh.co.uk/images/biker_m.jpg

Why is there such a difference in the clothing that they wear? I don't want to do any sport that makes you dress like the person in the first picture. Is one for racing and the other for freestyle? I'm confused because I've seen racers dressed both ways. Can someone who does mountain biking tell what these two types of biking are?

Thanks!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
The first person is a terrible example of a cross country mountain biker. She's pretty much a noob but if you look at her bike it's a lot smaller and weighs about half as much. this is for people who ride up and down the hills and want a well rounded bike. The extreme looking one is a dedicated downhill biker. They pretty much ride the chairlifts up ski hills and bomb down steep and nasty trails at insane speed, hence the body armor. PM me for any more questions, i just don't know what else to throw in there
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
Moto-cross definitly. It's my sport and I love it. Would you rather ride up a hill or just strate out go on a dirtbike?
Quote by GuitarFreak664
The first person is a terrible example of a cross country mountain biker. She's pretty much a noob but if you look at her bike it's a lot smaller and weighs about half as much. this is for people who ride up and down the hills and want a well rounded bike. The extreme looking one is a dedicated downhill biker. They pretty much ride the chairlifts up ski hills and bomb down steep and nasty trails at insane speed, hence the body armor. PM me for any more questions, i just don't know what else to throw in there

Thanks!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by Lead guitarist
Moto-cross definitly. It's my sport and I love it. Would you rather ride up a hill or just strate out go on a dirtbike?

I'd really rather do motorcross but I really don't want anything too dangerous. How much have you gotten hurt?
Quote by GuitarFreak664

Exactly.
First pic is X-Country biking - up hills, down hills, etc. Basically hiking trails.
Second pic is Downhill biking - bombing ski hills
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
There's no question that mountain biking (especially downhill) is dangerous, but not as much as motocross. Plus as a hobby with gas prices soaring, mountain biking is a FAR cheaper hobby to sustain. I mean a rock solid downhill bike can run you anywhere from $1,000 to $4,000, but a good dirt bike is more expensive and you have to pay a lot more running costs.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
Quote by GuitarFreak664
There's no question that mountain biking (especially downhill) is dangerous, but not as much as motocross. Plus as a hobby with gas prices soaring, mountain biking is a FAR cheaper hobby to sustain. I mean a rock solid downhill bike can run you anywhere from $1,000 to $4,000, but a good dirt bike is more expensive and you have to pay a lot more running costs.

Are there any really cheap downhill bikes to get started with?
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Are there any really cheap downhill bikes to get started with?

Depends what you mean by cheap. Anything under $1000 is going to be pretty ****. Best to go out and get a relatively decent second hand one. Also, I'd go with mountain biking over motocross...
Every day

is exactly

the same...
An extremely good mountain bike is much less expensive than a crappy dirtbike.

Mountain bike- stay fit.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Get a moutain bike. I recently took up the sport and love it. And as metioned above, it will be a lot less costly than moto cross.

The person in the first picture is a cross country biker and they tend to wear clothes that are tighter fitting for speed purposes and the fact that you dont want to get snagged in the brush. The second pic is of a down hill mountain biker and he is wearing body armour for obvious reasons.

Depending on what style of mountain biking you want to get into, bikes can run anywhere from 500 - 5000. From what i have seen most people start with a dirt jump bike because they are relatively cheap and can handle almost everything (very durable bikes). However, if you are like me and dont think you do much jumping around or are just not sure what you want. Get a lower end cross country/multy purpose bike. I have a Haro Flightline comp and love it. Mind you it was cheap and probably wont hold up to intense jumping or drops but i wasn't sure what i wanted.
Free Mumia
You should do downhill mountain biking. That would be awesome. I'd love to do it, but I have no money for a bike/gear.
MOUNTAIN BIKING FTW!
i mountain bike, and a dirt bike is for lazy people who wish who could mountain bike.
Mountain bike, anything with motors are just annoying. Especially boats.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
Ok well here's my problem. I can't afford anything expensive. I just bought myself a PRS Custom 24 for $2,700 and that means no more buying stuff for a while. I've seen some really crappy dirt bikes for like $500, but if mountain bikes are more then it's out of the question.

Also, are there any mountain bike races that are like motorcross (a track with jumps)?
I race motocross, but I haven't been riding much lately. I miss it, but the injuries really just started scaring me. I've been fortunate and only had a screw in my wrist, broken arm, and a bunch of sprains. Nonetheless, there's no feeling quite like laying it flat over a 110 ft. step up.
Also, you're not going to find a worthwile dirt bike for $500. For motocross, you might be able to find a decent 125 2 stroke for $2000 (they're dinosaurs now, but at least the suspension will be good).
You could try Trial riding, it's apparently really challengin but quite fun, my dad did it alot when he was younger,
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Alright well I decided, it's dirt biking for me. I'm going to do trail riding. Now I just have to wait until I have the money for a Honda CRF150F!