Alrighty. This is not an emergency, since i use different gear and different settings and stuff when i record/band play, because of.. Well.. That does not matter.

The thing is.

Here at home, i'm currently on an ESP LTD EX400, which is a great guitar'n all that.

But i have this problem, i have a hard time finding a way to sort of get my Mid-strings (D and G string), cut through the sound when doing a classic Black Metal chord-thing.

you know. You play a simple power-chord, or wha'cha wish to call it. like

-----7------ -----8-----
-----5------ , then changes move your one finger to like -----5----

This gives like, very atmospheric undertones, which are important for what i play, but somehow, i don't feel that the D string can be heard enough over the heavy-ness of the A string. I have my middles turned way up in comparison to the lows and highs, but it just does not cut it. My home practice amp, is a small, rather cheap thing. A simple Crate 30.. or GL 30.. Something like it. Is it the amp?

As i said, it's not really a heartbreaker, but it's damn, frickin' annoyin' aswell.

Was not sure where to post this, it took me time to write, so if you close it, instead of just moving it, if needed. I'm going to eat your babies!

Hil from Denmark.
Ah! Never knew much on the gearfront. Please do respect this horrible question. ahem.

What effect does a compressor pedal have, i mean, overall, and adjustable effects?

And for what price can a decent one be purchased?
i got this from wiki i am gonna buy the boss one eventually but right now i have a not so good one that works pretty good lol

on musician friend the boss one is like 80-90 bucks and it is prolly exactly what your looking for

basically it will make that D string heard more.

Compressor
Main article: Audio level compression
A compressor acts as an automatic volume control, progressively decreasing the output level as the incoming signal gets louder, and vice versa. It preserves the note's attack rather than silencing it as with an Envelope Volume pedal. This adjustment of the volume for the attack and tail of a note evens out the overall volume of an instrument. Compressors can also change the behaviour of other effects, especially distortion. When applied toward the guitar, it can provide a uniformed sustained note; when applied to instruments with a normally short attack, such as drums or harpsichord, compression can drastically change the resulting sound.
Another kind of compressor is the optical compressor which uses a light source (LED or lamp) to compress the signal.
Some compressor pedals are:
Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
MXR M-102 DynaComp
Line 6 Constrictor
T-Rex Engineering's CompNova
Electro-Harmonix Black Finger (optical compressor)
Aphex Punch Factory Optical Compressor
[edit]