I've hit a wall in my writing, and I've decided to do what I always do when this problem occurs: Learn more theory. I'm interested in some good books on advanced harmony (more specifically, the theory behind the construction of progressions) and counterpoint. Most regulars here will be roughly familiar with my level of knowledge, so I'll just say I'm looking for something the level above where I am currently.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
the problem is most of them are beginner books and scale diagrams

you are going to have to but a text book from a music college i think

EDit: which is fine you should be able to just walk in and buy what ever books you are looking for there and if it is a music school they could pribably help you find what your looking for in my college with out a number your kinda screwed

or you are probably going to have to find a person that can help you
Mark Levine writes some good books. I have his theory book, but he also wrote a good piano jazz book (you play piano, right archeo?).

I've heard berklee theory books are good, but I've never read one.

Actually, maybe you should start looking for music schools?
If you want theory get "fretboard mastery" by troy stetina, you can find it on amazon. In fact I would reccomend any book by him such as his famous "speed mechanics".
These definetly aren't beginners books
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
^ I may be wrong, but neither of those sound suitable...

TS: You seem to have a similar level of interest in theory to me, if you find anything good that's easy to get into, then let me know
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by demonofthenight
Actually, maybe you should start looking for music schools?

I'm already studying neuroscience. I'm not taking up a second major. I might drop by my music department a check out a few textbooks though.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
If you're not familiar with it, you could try to get your hands on a copy of George Russell's Lydian Chromatic Concept.
For counterpoint, I've heard good things about John J. Fux's The Study of Counterpoint. It's a translation of Bach's "Gradus ad Parnassum" which I know has also been reviewed well. Search for "Gradus ad Parnassum" on Amazon and those will be the first two results.
Quote by :-D
For counterpoint, I've heard good things about John J. Fux's The Study of Counterpoint. It's a translation of Bach's "Gradus ad Parnassum" which I know has also been reviewed well. Search for "Gradus ad Parnassum" on Amazon and those will be the first two results.
Do you happen to know where I can *aquire* it for cheaper?
Quote by Brandoggslayer
fretboard logic.

...has nothing to do with harmony or counterpoint.

I don't, sorry. Go infiltrate Amazon's warehouses?

But that would be...wrong.

*hides lock pick*
I don't, sorry. Go infiltrate Amazon's warehouses?
Goddamn it. I'm always helping guys find books on the internet. I've been looking for that book for months and I cant find it. It still has a copyright for fucks sake, from like the 1700's, so it's not even on gutenberg (although gutenberg does have a book on counterpoint that I havent read yet).
Actually, forget counterpoint for now, Archeo. You need to go learn about modes.
Heh, I've seen some of the music that guy writes. I dont think he needs to learn modes. It might help, but its not essential. He writes mostly classically based music. Very piano arpeggio based (thus why I think he plays the piano).
Quote by Tom
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.