So I've been looking into delays, and I was leaning pretty heavily towards Carbon Copy because the tone on the demo videos I saw(homemade ones on youtube) were pretty amazing, as were the amazing options.

Then I stumbled upon the DD7, and saw that it had 40(!) seconds of semi-recording. And analogue delay. And stereo output.

Only problem is, I'm a total tone snob, and the Carbon Copy just seems to be a bit much better in that department.

Only problem with that is, I've heard the Carbon Copy has troubles with the regen knob.

So I'm sorta leaning towards the DD7, just because it presents almost infinitely more options for only $10 more.

Your opinions/experiences?
I'm also interested in this so...

BUMP
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
eventide timefactor
empress superdelay
won't go wrong with the high-end ones i suppose...
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by necrophilic
eventide timefactor
empress superdelay
won't go wrong with the high-end ones i suppose...
Well it depends on how much he is willing to spend...

How much are you willing to spend anyway?
-Bugera 333XL 212
that's right.
but if your price range is around dd7's and if you like loadsa features i'd suggest boss dd-20. it's just a tad bit more expensive than dd7 but you get all the goodies in a box.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
I'm trying not to break the bank. I want to upgrade my Spider III 120 to some sort of Fender tube amp before spending more than 225 on a pedal. Also I want to get some recording gear after that, and a new computer after(or more probably before) that to record onto. So preferably not too much, since I wont even be getting a job till late this month =/
The reason I was considering those two is because while cheap, they seem to offer up enough options and ok tone, at least until I can afford more high-end pedals.

Edit: The DD-20 looks amazing! The only thing is that it seems like since there's so much more stuff for only 60 extra bucks, they wouldn't have really spent too much time making all those types of delays really well(as is the case with most budget multi-effect pedals). Also, I've really got no use for 23 seconds of delay (the 6 seconds of the dd-7 is plenty), and with the dd-7 you can record up to 40 seconds to loop, instead of the 23 on the dd-20.
Last edited by pensiveintensiv at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by pensiveintensiv
I'm trying not to break the bank. I want to upgrade my Spider III 120 to some sort of Fender tube amp before spending more than 225 on a pedal. Also I want to get some recording gear after that, and a new computer after(or more probably before) that to record onto. So preferably not too much, since I wont even be getting a job till late this month =/
The reason I was considering those two is because while cheap, they seem to offer up enough options and ok tone, at least until I can afford more high-end pedals.
I'm not a fan of BOSS pedals a lot of the time but I would recommend the DD-7 for how many features it has for the money.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Yeah, BOSS always sort of seemed like a newb brand to me as far as pedals go, but idk. I've been working with the built-in delay of my Spider III for so long pretty much anything will probably feel like a step up.
Last edited by pensiveintensiv at Jul 4, 2008,
im curious about this too. im just looking for a nice slap back kind of sound though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
From my research, if all you want is slap-back, definitely go with the Carbon Copy. It sounds great, warm, and is apparently crystal-clear. I just sort of need a more all-purpose one.
Quote by pensiveintensiv
From my research, if all you want is slap-back, definitely go with the Carbon Copy. It sounds great, warm, and is apparently crystal-clear. I just sort of need a more all-purpose one.

yeah, thats where im leaning as of now, thanks.
i hear the Line 6 delay (beleive it or not) is actualy great and extremely versatile.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by pensiveintensiv
Edit: The DD-20 looks amazing! The only thing is that it seems like since there's so much more stuff for only 60 extra bucks, they wouldn't have really spent too much time making all those types of delays really well(as is the case with most budget multi-effect pedals). Also, I've really got no use for 23 seconds of delay (the 6 seconds of the dd-7 is plenty), and with the dd-7 you can record up to 40 seconds to loop, instead of the 23 on the dd-20.

i'm not asking you to buy into the 23 second bs.
the extra cost goes into the memory banks, i think. and also some other stupid features for a delay pedal.
dd7 wins by having external footswitch controlling (sold separately) and 40 seconds of SOS.
while dd20 wins by having tape delay, warp (stupid), twist (more stupid), dual, pan (when you have 2 amps), smooth, and memory banks.
the other features are basically a draw. tone-wise i don't know which is superior.
yeah if i had to buy a Boss delay itd would be the DD-20 ive tried it out and its damn good and easy to use and sounds bettor than my DD5. other than go for the carbon copy. id chose the DD-20 over the carbon copy tough.
the thing i hate about my DD5 is that when you turn up the feed back it goes very sour in some settings and just sounds awfull its diffrent , you also cant get a good slap back on the damn thing its just fizzy.
when i went to GC and tried the MXR CC it was just easier to get delays i wanted im probly ganna end up getting this chinese one made of analog parts, but it sounds like what i want.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=brVjt5ZTU1U

they go pretty cheap on ebay so its worth giving a shot.
i dont know what the chinese guy is saying but i know what that pedal is saying, BUY ME. especially the way it sounds in 58 i just want that sound and the boss cant do it.

EDIT:well the boss can but poorly
Last edited by blabermouth5 at Jul 4, 2008,
I have tried both the DD-7 and the carbon copy recently, and got the carbon copy because it's more unique with the modulation function and it sounds so great tone wise. The DD-7 has a few more features, but doesn't compare in tone.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Yeah, I'll probably end up getting the CC after the DD-7, just for varieties sake. That way I can get some analogue delay while playing over a loop.
But that just leads me to wonder if I should get some sort of loop station that doesn't cost too much more than a DD-7, and then just get the CC, since a loop station will probably end up being just as useful.
*sigh*. I've got some pondering to do.
when using dd-20 you gotta be careful. under some circumstances using it in certain ways (i'm too lazy to explain), you can get endless feedback. but that's dangerous to you, your ears and your amp. when this danger is imminent, turn the effect's level knob down all the way, not the amp's level knob.

if you're still pondering after a few days, i'd recommend not buying anything for the moment, read all and every page of the reviews at harmony central, try every possible choice of pedals in the shop, and hopefully you'll end up buying something really high end (meaning not boss or other stuffs of the same price range).

edit: have you checked out keeley's delay pedal mods?
No I haven't. I'm not much into modding pedals, since I've never soldered anything in my life and don't feel like ruining something I payed over $100 for. Are they proffessional or on a webpage?
If you don't need to save your loops and need a delay at the same time, just get the DD-20. Also, even though for delay you don't really need 23 seconds - however, this time is useful for setting up multiple loops....

http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/bossDD20/bossDD20_review2.html

Basically, with either the DD-7 or DD-20 you have a very good delay unit that includes a "bonus" looper. Try the different units: CC/DL7/DD20 etc. listen to the many clips on you tube as well. They are all amazing units! But, for the money, my opinion is the DD20 ir DD7 are a better overall "value" than the CC. That said, the CC is a decent price for an analog unit.

Quote by pensiveintensiv
Yeah, I'll probably end up getting the CC after the DD-7, just for varieties sake. That way I can get some analogue delay while playing over a loop.
But that just leads me to wonder if I should get some sort of loop station that doesn't cost too much more than a DD-7, and then just get the CC, since a loop station will probably end up being just as useful.
*sigh*. I've got some pondering to do.
read the reviews from harmony central.
keep in mind that dd-20 or any other boss delay colors your tone. to what extent? that's subjective.
mustn't mix it too wetly in the effects loop.
I don't care enough to read through all that, but...

Carbon Copy. Real warm delicious analog delay > fake BOSS crappy delay
Quote by Twevo

+1
Quote by Twevo

Haha, that's what I've heard. And isn't 600 ms of analogue delay pretty much ridiculous for $150? I've heard that most in the $200 price range don't exceed about 400 ms.

Oh, and I love that little thing under your name Twevo. The blues really do equate to sex.
Unless you want fancy stuff like backwards delay, I'd go with the carbon copy. You'll never need as much delay time as the DD-7 has.
Quote by pensiveintensiv
Haha, that's what I've heard. And isn't 600 ms of analogue delay pretty much ridiculous for $150? I've heard that most in the $200 price range don't exceed about 400 ms.

Oh, and I love that little thing under your name Twevo. The blues really do equate to sex.

Why thank you. And yes, the Carbon Copy is literally the best delay on the market in that price range. The next best thing is probably the EHX Deluxe Memory Man and that's $300. It's ridiculous how awesome it is
Quote by Twevo
Why thank you. And yes, the Carbon Copy is literally the best delay on the market in that price range. The next best thing is probably the EHX Deluxe Memory Man and that's $300. It's ridiculous how awesome it is

Next best thing? lol.

I still want to try a carbon copy. None of the shops near me stock it though.

EDIT: Fuck that, the CC is more expensive than the memory man here.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by timi_hendrix
Next best thing? lol.

I still want to try a carbon copy. None of the shops near me stock it though.

EDIT: Fuck that, the CC is more expensive than the memory man here.

Really? In the US, you can get a CC for $150 and a Deluxe Memory Man for $320.

Where do you live?
Wow, yeah, I guess you're right. Your Fender products are about twice as expensive too. They have the American Deluxe series of guitars at over twice as much as your AC30CC's.
I googled and got myself here....so, what did you get in the end....??
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by kennethdave
I googled and got myself here....so, what did you get in the end....??

Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt

"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
I own the CC and it can get some great slapback sounds, but the thing I think it does the best is huge and warm ambient sounds. The modulation switch is just subtle enough for it to be awesome
ok... Whats the difference between analogue and digital delay?
Remember. this is question from an old guy who used to use an old copy cat tape and just starting to get back into guitar again...
Keith
delay uses digital signals to reproduce the signal, and repeat it.

analog uses capacitors and opams and resistors to reproduce the signal. digital tends to be more clear, and analog tends to add warmth.

there are however digital delays that are purely amazing like the eventide timefactor, and there are also great analog delays like the dmm.
thanks for that, I am reading all I can about the gear I am going to buy and delay and a looper are top of the list as well as blues junior.
I'm not looking to spend on top end gear, just looking for decent quality stuff for me to create my own music/ studio...
Keith