Hey I am into 2 guitarsists. Slash, and Zakk Wylde. I saw them play "Voodoo Chile" and I said to my dad because he showed me the video. I said. "I am going to grow up, and play like those guys" and my dad laughed. He knew I had potential. He said that to me because I stole my brothers Fende Strat because he never played it anymore he gave it up, and I tryed learning a lot of the licks in the stylse of Slash and Zakk. So here I am. 16 years old, and I am still going strong with my goal set in mind. I can easily dish out shred/blues licks, at slow, and high speeds! but there has always been one thing that has stood in my way to my heavy metal heirarchy. And that accursed item is the Wah Pedal. Oh I hate trying to learn with this thing. I love the hell out of it. Don't get me wrong. but I mean I don't know how to make it sound like Zakk Wylde!!! Listen to "Farewell Ballad" and when he plays the solo I mean his sound lights up with this fire! And it is amazing! I am asking how do you think Zakk uses it? Like I mean how to decide which notes to make the "WAH" oh you know? And does anyone know how to make that awesome sound? Just the sound he gets in solos like "Farewell Ballad", and "In This River"? I love that sound and I know he uses his 2 signature pedals, But what kind of amp any idea? Thanks.

Oh and please dont say things about my idols. Because I realize some people don't see the amzingness of these 2. And you have your idols, and I have mine so yeah leave them alone. Thanks again.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Both are going to be using marshall tube stack amps. The advertising would lead you to believe zak uses MG amps but dont fall for it.
Just be sure to not do what I call a kirk on the wah and basically keep tempo with it. What I've noticed with Zakk (a big influence of mine too!) is that he uses the wah to accent notes, so when he wants a high note he pushes all the way down on the pedal to get maximum treble boost, then when he wants a bass boost he does the opposite. That's not EXACTLY how he does it but it's a decent guideline to using a wah to boost or accentuate certain notes.

Hope that helped :/
*Power chord + palm mute note*

*pinch harmonics*

*pentatonic lick*

CRUSHING
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
almost as good as him. haha. not really that good. But I am very very good at them.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
I watched an Interview with Zakk and he said he normally keeps about 6 picks under the heel of the wah so it holds it down so he gets a tone. try it, It might be wht your looking for
And when you do pinch harmonics, make sure you vibrato the note so much it sounds like a woman having an orgasm.

Quote by Time To Dance!
Zakk's too overrated...
"wow look at me i can play a scale super fast and put a harmonic in every two sec's"
Give me a break....****ing sellout!

How the **** does that make someone a sellout?
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
well heres a tip that will b most helpful to your playing- have influences aside from them

but in reality, learn to do crazy pinch harmoncs on the low E and scales etc...
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by Teh GIR
How the **** does that make someone a sellout?

C'mon dude wake up! whens the last time you opened up an issue of ANY guitar mag without seeing his pic blasted like a hundered times...he loves money more than he loves his so-called "music"
Quote by Time To Dance!
C'mon dude wake up! whens the last time you opened up an issue of ANY guitar mag without seeing his pic blasted like a hundered times...he loves money more than he loves his so-called "music"

hell, if I was a good enough guitarist to be wanted to endorse a ****load of gear, I'd be whoring myself out like a hooker trying to get through college.
Quote by Tackleberry
Both are going to be using marshall tube stack amps. The advertising would lead you to believe zak uses MG amps but dont fall for it.

Yep.

And I also saw that the TS said he used a Fender Strat (at least he used to). If you want to sound like Slash and Zakk, try using a Les Paul, or at least a guitar with a humbucker in it.
Saint Louis Blues
Quote by seizetheday1103
well heres a tip that will b most helpful to your playing- have influences aside from them

but in reality, learn to do crazy pinch harmoncs on the low E and scales etc...

Namely the Minor Pentatonic scale. That's pretty much the only scale he uses.
Quote by RANDOMH3RO
hell, if I was a good enough guitarist to be wanted to endorse a ****load of gear, I'd be whoring myself out like a hooker trying to get through college.

I would rather be poor living in a **** house haggard little shack making UNshallow music that actually means something...than sitting on my ass getting money thrown at me to make songs about drinking and ugh whatever else he effin sings about.
Quote by Time To Dance!
I would rather be poor living in a **** house haggard little shack making UNshallow music that actually means something...than sitting on my ass getting money thrown at me to make songs about drinking and ugh whatever else he effin sings about.

damn, you really don't like Zakk Wylde. I'll admit, his latest works haven't been great, but I'm a huge Zakk fan. He should make more solo stuff, like Book of Shadows. Probably his best work.
Quote by Time To Dance!

He's just out there having fun..I don't see why his music is shallow. Just because he likes to have fun and drink beer and party, no need to rag on him. I'm not a big fan of Zakk but I don't see how people can't like him. He's out there living the dream, performing on stage and inspiring kids and getting signature gear.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by RANDOMH3RO
damn, you really don't like Zakk Wylde. I'll admit, his latest works haven't been great, but I'm a huge Zakk fan. He should make more solo stuff, like Book of Shadows. Probably his best work.

Dont get me wrong...everything B4 and including The Blessed Hellride was great i loved it...but mafia just completely got me out of it coz it was like he just forgot what its about.
And btw Book Of Shadow's is and exceptional album.
Zakk wylde abuses guitars like George w bush does with power
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
rape your guitars neck w/ pentatonic bulls**t
not to mention those pinch harmonics
Quote by element4433
That happened to me once. Then I got in my flying car, flew home and made love to my wife, Scarlett Johansen.

Quote by RobertiusB
I've seen Lil' Wayne do some pretty technical solos tbh.
ya play pinch harmonics over and over and over and break your neck and break a string with your teeth
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Wow this thread imploded fast..

I'm just going to reiterate what some others have said. To at least get close to his sound, you're going to want a guitar with humbuckers. Try noodling in the Minor pentatonic and get comfortbale with pinch harmonics and palm muting.

I will add that if you really understand his sound, find out who inspired him and listen to their music...
Quote by Time To Dance!

i'll take the money!!!!
Dont forget to buy your Zakk Wylde signature beard ... you cant play like zakk without one.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Don't work towards sounding like someone else. To me, it's just really unoriginal. Try get your own way to play; it's a hell of a lot better. Sure, you can take licks and stuff, just don't copy them to the extent that you are playing exactly like Zakk.

That's what I say.

EDIT: And don't take his sound too much. That's even worse. Get your own sound and tone aswell.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I'm not a big fan of Zakk. Stand facing you amp and play pinch harmonics for every single freaking note.
You hold him, I'll chop his ****in' hands off. Then we'll sew them on to your stubby nubs after i've done the same to you and we'll see what happens...

J/K

Play like [insert your name here] and have people say: "Hey, I bet he can play like Wylde?"

Be your own man. You'll enjoy learning if you don't keep telling yourself "I don't sound like guitarist A yet."
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Quote by Time To Dance!
Zakk's too overrated...
"wow look at me i can play a scale super fast and put a harmonic in every two sec's"
Give me a break....****ing sellout!

Dont be a idiot man, This dude respects the playing ability of Zakk Wylde, you wouldnt like it if he started bad-mouthing your guitar idol, and he specifically requested that people do NOT say anything about his idols because of people like you coming along.

Sorry for the major flame there. Anyway, Zakk uses quite alot of techniques in his playing... sure he uses alot of pinch harmonics... but if you want to have the same playing style as him (or near enough) look up what kind of sclaes he uses and learn them and such.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
You mentioned Voodoo Child and how Zakk and Slash play. Go look up Hendrix doing it if you want a worthy role model. Those two crap all over that song. Could not resist, you are young and need guidance.

To get the hang of wah, less is more. Listen to how changing the pedal just a bit changes the sound and sometimes just let the pedal stay in one postion, not bouncing it up and down all the time. If you do a fifth of Zakk's pinch harmonics, that might be enuf, certainly no more.
If you like Zakks tone, the things he uses that make it are EMG (or at least active, you might want to try blackouts) pickups; you'll DEFINITELY need humbuckers, an amp that can pull off a decent impression of the JCM 800, with the mids cranked, as far as pedals go, the MXR dist + used as a boost (gain set low, volume set high) is a good way to get similar sounding drive, obviously you need to get very familiar with your wah, experiment with using it as a tone filter, not focusing so much on just rocking it back and forth. the last thing Zakk does that helps with his tone is that when he plays live, he has an MXR stereo chorus turned on the whole time.

As far as the actuall playing goes, practise clean alternate picking, and various levels of palm muting both on rhythm and lead parts, and work on your pinch harmonics, but just do us all a favor and use them about 70% less than he does.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Jul 5, 2008,
From what I have heard of Zakk Wylde on some vids...

- Master using the minor pentatonic scale.
- Pinch harmonics.
- WILD vibrato.
- Use wah with huge sweep.
- Marshall TUBE amps, not MG series.
Quote by 666-JoE-666
Dont be a idiot man, This dude respects the playing ability of Zakk Wylde, you wouldnt like it if he started bad-mouthing your guitar idol, and he specifically requested that people do NOT say anything about his idols because of people like you coming along.

Sorry for the major flame there. Anyway, Zakk uses quite alot of techniques in his playing... sure he uses alot of pinch harmonics... but if you want to have the same playing style as him (or near enough) look up what kind of sclaes he uses and learn them and such.

Wow that was if i say an epic flame...you dont know **** about "flaming"...i'm just speaking my mind...saying if he's gonna have a idol it should be for the right reasons...and not just because of stupid ****...and dude if i do say so myself you can have an idol thats fine just play the complete opposite of them and you'll be fine it doesnt matter how hard you try you wont even come close to playing the way someone else does...its impossible so just dont even worry about it...play from your heart(my gay moment of the day) and you should be set to go