This has kinda bothered me for awhile. I know the routing on the JEM series guitars is deep for super whammy bar br00tal breakdowns, but I've always been interested in what it's called on the JEMs. It's different, rather than most routed floyds which are basically just a block cut out of the guitar. It's almost like they routed out just enough for the system to move.

So what's this called? I think I'd like to have this on a guitar, as I'm really thinking about saving up for a long time (a LLOONNGG time) and getting a custom RAN guitar. I just think this would one look MUCH better than just a hole in the guitar and two I think the JEMs can get like 5 semitones up with a pull of the bar? That's INSANE!!! I'd absolutely love to be able to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

I've looked around a bit tonight (I always forget to look for it) but I have to go now, so if someone could just tell me the name of it you'd really help me!

Thanks in advance
Quote by edusty2010

I think the JEMs can get like 5 semitones up with a pull of the bar? That's INSANE!!! I'd absolutely love to be able to do that.

Umm...any guitar with a floating FR can do that.....(including mine )
^the lion's claw is just cosmetic. Most routing is just a big hole, and the range issue is only hampered by when the strings hit the fretboard.
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Umm...any guitar with a floating FR can do that.....(including mine )

Perhaps on the low E string... on the high E that's a mean feat.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Thanks! I thought it was claw something lol, but I had no idea. I guess I was confused with the deep routed thing, I thought the JEM was special in that way .

So is this possible to do for an OFR? Because that's the trem style that I want (duh!), and idk, I just think the lion claw style looks better than the normal hole.
even if you can dive up/down that much doesn't mean your strings won't break.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by edusty2010
Thanks! I thought it was claw something lol, but I had no idea. I guess I was confused with the deep routed thing, I thought the JEM was special in that way .

So is this possible to do for an OFR? Because that's the trem style that I want (duh!), and idk, I just think the lion claw style looks better than the normal hole.

You can't really modify an existing floyd rout for it...well, technically you could but it'd be an absolute ballache and not worth the money as you're probably have to refinish the entire guitar.

If you're routing a floyd cavity from scratch then yes, you can do it - it's purely cosmetic though, it makes no difference to the range of the trem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You can't really modify an existing floyd rout for it...well, technically you could but it'd be an absolute ballache and not worth the money as you're probably have to refinish the entire guitar.

If you're routing a floyd cavity from scratch then yes, you can do it - it's purely cosmetic though, it makes no difference to the range of the trem.

+1

Ha! No difference!

....He's right...AGAIN!

<_<

>_>
Well..... i suppose the slight amount of extra mass left in the body could theoretically increase sustain, change tone slightly etc.

I say theoretically, because the difference is so slight it's almost definitely inaudible, and therefore worthless. Aside from the cosmetics.
Adam
or you could be original and think of something else

maybe a panda claw :P
i have a 'white guitar'