ok guys, so i'm thinking about buying a squier strat to mod
its only about 100 bucks to buy it, and i'm thinking about going all out on it
any suggestions for pickups or hardware on this thing?
it was either this or a tele to mod, and i'm gonna go with the strat atm
for pickups, i'm looking for something that plays well with punk/rock/pop rock/pop punk type of stuff...so good on distortion as well as decent cleans..nothing metal or hardcore

this is just for fun..i've got another guitar that i actually gig with right now, so i'm not looking into something completely different

any help/suggestions/opinions/love/hate is cool, and appreciated
lawlkyle
paint some cool graphics on it, thats what i am doing, and im putting a floyd in later
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
I suggest modding it with a humbucker in the bridge and then single coils in middle and neck, or you could have another humbucker in the neck if you want. It may require some cutting of the pick-guard to fit all of that though.

EDIT: Oh, and possibly some routing of the body to fit the pickups. Also, I find the fingerboards on Squiers difficult to play on, so possibly replace the neck with a Fender strat neck? I'm not sure if that will help though.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
- Humbuckers instead of the single coils
- New Bridge
- Cool Graphics, or just strip the paint and pull some seriously weird crafting to the body
- New Tuners Maybe?

I've always though about (I've never been one for "on board" effects) getting a cheap reverb pedal, like one of the Danelectro ones and taking out the parts and using them IN the guitar...

Adding the switches to the guitar and having reverb (or any effect) as some sort of "on board" feature...

It would certainly be unique!
depends on how deep you really want to go..

me personally:

sand it down to the wood, and add a flamed maple veneer, then do some kinda burst

dimebuckers or emg's

floyd rose double locking tremolo (yes, theyre worth the time, despite popular belief)

killswitch, like tom morello or buckethead stuff....

lol, thats what im currently doing to my strat

the FR it a bitch to put on though... if youre not experienced, take it to an expert
Now matter what you put on it, it'll still be an entry level guitar just dolled up too much. If you want to mod, why don't you consider buying a body & neck from STEWMAC or Warmoth or one of the other pats stores? It'll cost you a little more for the basic pieces but you'll really have something when you're done.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Now matter what you put on it, it'll still be an entry level guitar

Its not what you play, its how you play it...
Quote by Lead_for_life
Its not what you play, its how you play it...

no.

well a bit, but at the end of the day, its still a squier.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
dont buy a squire they suck even with upgrades
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
i would suggest getting a cheap epiphone with humbuckers and then modifying that and i think that would suit what you want to play better.
also, it might be cheaper to get a guitar kit so you can build it yourself with basic tools so then you can totally customize it and have more satisfaction in the work you did.
wow..great points from every post
-i was thinking about custom painting as well
-new tuners/pickups are definately a must if i get that
-the "on board" effects thing sounds like a very original idea...i may just look into that for kicks

the idea of building one from premade parts like some of you suggested does appeal to me, and yes, it would most likely be more satisfying
i mean, i might be able to do that...i don't know much about the wiring or anything too technical, but luckily a good friend of mine who loves modding guitars is helping me thru this whole process no matter what direction i take

buying a guitar and modding it might be the easiest way right now, but i'll look more in-depth about building one as well

thanks a ton guys

any other posts would really help me out

EDIT: building from premade parts looks pretty expensive...perhaps i'll hold off on that and continue looking at built guitars to mod
lawlkyle
Last edited by BigWrig at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by Skar578
no.

well a bit, but at the end of the day, its still a squier.

Squiers have alder bodies though correct? If he's gonna replace everything (including the neck) he could have something nice.

I'm planning on doing something like this when I get the money. I want to get a squier or strat knockoff of reasonable quality and give it a single humbucker in the bridge, locking trem, new neck, and a unique paint scheme.

And remember, even if it doesn't play better than your main axe, projects where you get to take **** apart are still fun!
I just checked Warmoth & STEWMAC and a hi-quality strat body is $160 -$188! If you're throwing everything away (including neck) and refinishing as well, then you are basically paying over $100 for a Squire body. Unless you plan to put your finish over the top of the existing one, the effort required to strip a guitar should be worth the extra $60-$70.
One thing I'm not sure about with Squires is the exact scale size they use and how accurately it's made. This could be an issue when trying to put a replacement neck onto the body. I'm sure everybody's aware that parts are not universal and there are variants to the standard scale lengths out there.
Moving on.....
Quote by BigWrig
ok guys, so i'm thinking about buying a squier strat to mod
its only about 100 bucks to buy it, and i'm thinking about going all out on it

If you're looking at an Affinity Squier, the Alder body and Maple/Rosewood neck make it an excellent platform to launch your mod ... specially if you're doing it to learn more about guitars: electronics, finishing, setting up, etc.

Don't let the noobulicious noobulets calling it as just a Squier deter you from having a fun & educational Summer.

Tips:
1. The inexpensive tuners on inexpensive guitars are getting better, after all, it's not rocket science. Most do not suffer from backlash and hold their tune when done properly. Check out http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html for proper stringing.

(Invalid img)

2. Replace the bridge with the puny tremolo block with something beefier. Check out http://store.guitarfetish.com/tremelos.html The upgrade won't break the bank.

3. For electronics and PU upgrades, GF has inexpensive ones which are slightly better than what the Affinity has ... for PUs, go to http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html and for other electronics, go to http://store.guitarfetish.com/electronics.html

4. For refinishing tutorials, check the sticky https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726

5. Post in the GB&C forum if you start the project. Lots of savvy modders and pros there.

Good Luck!

"Don't let the noobulicious noobulets calling it as just a Squier deter you from having a fun & educational Summer."

Agreed it could still be fun but in the end the guitar won't be worth what you put into it. It's not as simple as: $100 Guitar + $150 new PUs + $100 new bridge + $35 new tuners = $385 guitar!
If BigWRig simply wants the experience and is willing to write off some money to get it fine. BUt if he's looking to actually make a better guitar (which is why some people Mod) then putting too much into a beginner guitar is not the way to go.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
"Don't let the noobulicious noobulets calling it as just a Squier deter you from having a fun & educational Summer."

Agreed it could still be fun but in the end the guitar won't be worth what you put into it. It's not as simple as: $100 Guitar + $150 new PUs + $100 new bridge + $35 new tuners = $385 guitar!
If BigWRig simply wants the experience and is willing to write off some money to get it fine. BUt if he's looking to actually make a better guitar (which is why some people Mod) then putting too much into a beginner guitar is not the way to go.

TBH, I didn't see anywhere that he was planning to upgrade, sell, and make a profit ... which was why I recommended inexpensive upgrades - part of the learning process with the potential to "improve" the stock version.

The simple Math example you gave is actually close although you can get name brand PUs for a lot less, vintage-style, 6-screw, full-sized Fender bridges with the beefy trem block (not the puny, older MIM Strat bridge) for less than $30 with shipping, vintage style Fender tubers for less than $25 with shipping. The $70 Squier '51s from the GC close-out last year continue to fund my "better" guitars.

Some nice artwork there Ippon! Mod 3 looks like it took quite awhile but very professional looking. Do you use airbrushes or just the spraycans you can buy?
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Some nice artwork there Ippon! Mod 3 looks like it took quite awhile but very professional looking. Do you use airbrushes or just the spraycans you can buy?

The last one actually took a day and a half and was immediately gigged ... friend's Bat Mitzvah. I used acrylic spraycans - Krylon and Duplicolor.

Ippon & KenG. Great stuff. Really helpful.
Ippon, I'm definately looking into the tips and links you posted, and I do believe that modding a squier is the direction I'm heading because of the following reasons.
1) I'm not a serious, all-out, tour for weeks guitarist. I play a few gigs around my areas every once and a while, but right now guitar is only a hobby for me, you know? I don't need a magnificent guitar. I've got a very nice guitar right now, and this is just a fun/backup guitar I plan on modding.
2) I won't replace the neck, so don't just assume I'm buying this thing just to tear it completely down and redo it. That's just silly.
3) I get what KenG is saying with his money equation. Yeah, I know it's going to take a chunk of change to redo, but I don't think I'm going to do every little thing that all you guys think should be done. I'm a decent guitarist, and I'd like just a decent project guitar. Nothing mind blowing or too amazing.

Still, this stuff is very interesting. I've got a lot to think about.

Another thing I was looking at, however, were the Bullets. I've heard many bad things about them, but I've also heard from many people who modded them that they were really a decent guitar when finished. Some info about this piece: Basswood body, Maple/Rosewood neck.

Advice?
lawlkyle
Quote by BigWrig
Ippon & KenG. Great stuff. Really helpful.
Ippon, I'm definately looking into the tips and links you posted, and I do believe that modding a squier is the direction I'm heading because of the following reasons.
1) I'm not a serious, all-out, tour for weeks guitarist. I play a few gigs around my areas every once and a while, but right now guitar is only a hobby for me, you know? I don't need a magnificent guitar. I've got a very nice guitar right now, and this is just a fun/backup guitar I plan on modding.
2) I won't replace the neck, so don't just assume I'm buying this thing just to tear it completely down and redo it. That's just silly.
3) I get what KenG is saying with his money equation. Yeah, I know it's going to take a chunk of change to redo, but I don't think I'm going to do every little thing that all you guys think should be done. I'm a decent guitarist, and I'd like just a decent project guitar. Nothing mind blowing or too amazing.

Still, this stuff is very interesting. I've got a lot to think about.

Another thing I was looking at, however, were the Bullets. I've heard many bad things about them, but I've also heard from many people who modded them that they were really a decent guitar when finished. Some info about this piece: Basswood body, Maple/Rosewood neck.

Advice?

The newer Bullets are way, way, way better than the older ones. Of course they feel and look cheap but with proper, inexpensive upgrades (GuitarFetish), a superior set-up, and a re-finish, you can have a decent, giggable guitar. Would it be MIM Fender quality? That depends.

BTW, the Squier Affinity neck is pretty decent and actually one of the positives of the Squier. Of course not everybody will like it, some have issues switching from thin, to C, to U, to baseball bat profiles or from 24.75" to 25.5" scale or vice-versa. It's all preferences.

Good luck to you BigWrig! BTW I've always preferred rosewood to maple fingerboards as I like the feel of the wood.
Moving on.....