Several days ago I had a lesson with my guitar teacher where he told me to show him what i've been working on in terms of ear training.

Well, I tried playing yellowcard's ocean avenue. All the power chords turned out wrong lol :P

The thing I'm asking though is: This was the first time my guitar teacher heard the song. I knew that the song was all power chords, and it puzzled me how he not only gave me the right chords, but which ones were major or minor (in this case E to F#m to D).

How do you figure out the tonality of the chords of a song if they are power chords, so that they would fit in with the song? And not just trying which ones work out, knowing what they are before even picking up the guitar?

(btw I couldn't find any correlation between these chords besides them being the first three notes of the D Major Scale)
umm im not too sure but he might have seen where your 1st finger was and took that as a root note, then went form there. but im not sure
Determine the key by analyzing the notes in the powerchords.

Once you've done that, you know the chords in that key.

So if your powerchords are D5 A5 B5 F#5 G5 D5 G5 A5, the notes in those chords are D A E B F# C# G. Those notes form the D major scale, and you know the chords in that scale are D, Em, F#m, G, A, Bm, C#dim. Therefore, the implied chords are D A Bm F#m G D G A.
Nice use of Canon in D!

And like bangoodcharlote said, all he's doing is applying the roots to a major scale. Then putting their triads to it.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by theacousticpunk
all she's doing is applying the roots to a major scale. Then putting their triads to it.
Well no. You take the fifths into account as well.
Yeah, though a lot of the time the 5th doesn't tell you much more then the root does. If you had D5 A5 C#5, it would only tell you that it's in A major instead of D, but even then the triads would still be the same for the D and the A.

(I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just stating that it isn't as important as the root.)
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
First of all, I think the key for theacousticpunk's PCs is A major because all the roots and their fifths correspond with the A major scale, while the D major scale is missing a G#, which is C#'s fifth.... but i may be wrong

Secondly, I've tried all the possibilities and I beleive the song's key is in D. However, in that case the E major chord in the chord progression i mentioned earlier would have to be a minor chord to fit in (D maj, E min, F# min, G maj , etc.)...Right? The Em chord doesn't fit in with the song... I'm confused :X
Quote by Hawkerz
First of all, I think the key for theacousticpunk's PCs is A major because all the roots and their fifths correspond with the A major scale, while the D major scale is missing a G#, which is C#'s fifth.... but i may be wrong
If you analyze the roots only, you see that the notes A, C#, and D call in the keys of D and A. However, upon further analysis of the fifth, the G# note in C#5 reveals that the proper key is A.

Quote by Hawkerz

Secondly, I've tried all the possibilities and I beleive the song's key is in D. However, in that case the E major chord in the chord progression i mentioned earlier would have to be a minor chord to fit in (D maj, E min, F# min, G maj , etc.)...Right? The Em chord doesn't fit in with the song... I'm confused :X
How are you playing it?