Harp
61 17%
Violin
68 19%
Other
80 22%
Voters: 358.
Page 1 of 4
What is the most difficult instrument to master to be good at?

IMO, Harp.

Poll coming.
Quote by mrcrono
I'm pretty sure this exact thread was made like last night or this morning.

It isn't
i dunno i have not played most of those instruments Has anyone? if anyone has they deserve respect for at least giving that many instruments a try.
Yeah, where's Sitar?
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
CLEARLY its the Gong.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Quote by ugsusheyftef
sitar?

That or some third world instrument no one really knows much about.
Violin is pretty damn hard, too, really.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Piano is hard but no where near a stringed instrument.. With a string instrument you can bend, hammer on/pull off, vibrato, etc. Piano is pretty much jsut push a button to get a sound.
i say harp, sitar would be right up there but harps are mofos
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
I would say saxaphone, but i'm surprised at all the people that say piano is the most difficult as most people find it the most intuitive. Anyway i think sax should be in the poll.
In all seriousness though, Organ? You have 3 keyboards and pedals to play all at the same time... look at Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor, its intense.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Out of ones I've played (trumpet, piano, guitar), probably trumpet.

But a lot of people have a hard time with the flute when they start, since you have to practice a lot just to be able to make noise.
Saint Louis Blues
cello is moderately difficult to learn but it is pretty much the greatest instrument of all time

but piano is hard as **** to learn
I make house muuuusic!
www.soundcloud.com/sean-garfola

My Gear:
Schecter Tempest custom
Pro Co Rat Duecetone Distortion
Boss Space Echo
Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Verbzilla
Digitech Jam-man
Peavey ValveKing 212
Last edited by Kakatara at Jul 4, 2008,
yea i voted harp, that thing has waaaaay too many strings. the accordian is probably hard too, its got all those buttons..... who knows what they do. the oboe is hard too, they had to hire someone to play it at my school band concert because the kid couldnt play the solo
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
trumpet

it has three valves so to make a whole like 4 octave chromatic you have to go from loose lips to lips tighter than virgin vagina in order to make it work...and to be professional you gotta hit notes and the top immediately followed by notes at the bottom at 200BPM....its quite a challenge. i can barely get 2 octaves having palyed for a bout a year.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
I'm disappointed that sitar isn't an option.
tumblr | twitter | instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
Quote by Kakatara
cello is moderately difficult to learn but it is pretty much the greatest instrument of all time

but piano is hard as **** to learn

Reading sheet music is the main thing I find difficult about piano. Why must the notes for the bass and treble clefs be different?
Quote by Dog--
Piano is hard but no where near a stringed instrument.. With a string instrument you can bend, hammer on/pull off, vibrato, etc. Piano is pretty much jsut push a button to get a sound.

But the thing is, is that the noise is made by strings... Making it a stringed instrument
One Man Band.

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Dog--
Well, yeah, but each instrument has their own idea of what's difficult. I'm sure it's much easier to play the notes on a Violin Bach Fugue on a piano, however Piano music has a complexity violin could never reach.

Really, all instruments have their own idea of what is difficult for them. It'd be just as hard for a violinist to learn Paganini as a pianist to learn Liszt.

However, out of all the instruments, Piano probably has the most difficult repertoire. It was difficult as f*ck during the romantic era, it got even more difficult as f*ck during 20th century. All instruments have their difficult as f*ck material, but Piano has Sorabji's music, who's music is considered the most difficult. "Opus Clavicembalisticum" is considered by many to be the most challenging piece of any instrument.

But other than those one or two composers who wrote ridiculously difficult music, I think all instruments have their own idea of easy, intermediate, difficult, and HOLY F*CK!.
Last edited by The Madcap at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by Lgndkllr777
In all seriousness though, Organ? You have 3 keyboards and pedals to play all at the same time... look at Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor, its intense.
Sometimes 5 keyboards.
violin and cello and this other instrument i forgot. No frets is harder than you think.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Quote by GuitarGuitar
I would say saxaphone, but i'm surprised at all the people that say piano is the most difficult as most people find it the most intuitive. Anyway i think sax should be in the poll.

Saxopĥone is not a hard instrument. I've been playing it since 1999 and it's cool, yet not really hard.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
But the thing is, is that the noise is made by strings... Making it a stringed instrument

And im pretty sure piano is considered a percussive instrument.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
I voted violin, but how about the "veena" ...
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Quote by Mynabull
Yeah, where's Sitar?

THEN PICK OUTHER ! ****KKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

i ****ING HATE WHNE ****ING PEOPLE DO THAT ! ARGH!

OMFG WHY! ARGH!

That would be me on youtube but since I'm on UG this is how I would react...

Pick other.
Theremin
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
The Madcap is right.

I put violin down because it took me a hell of a time to learn how to play it correctly. To get any decent sound out of it at all takes so much, most of the people I know quit violin before they got to that level. There are so many different styles of it too, from heavy metal fiddling ( ) to Paganini to blues-country. Its range of sounds is quite astounding, and tone is a huge element in learning violin.

I'm surprised so many people put piano as the most difficult instrument. YES, it gets insanely complex as you move to more advanced classical pieces (as said before), but basically it's a lot of memorization, sight-reading, and coordination. Up until a high-intermediate level, piano is relatively easy, IMO. It was my first instrument, anyway.

I'm only at an intermediate level of rock/blues guitar, but I imagine that classical guitar must be difficult. Up and down the fretboard with six or more strings must get pretty complicated sometimes. I might be wrong, but that's just my opinion.
Quote by dzaerpoor
And im pretty sure piano is considered a percussive instrument.

True, but I find it very odd. It is an instrument played using the vibration of strings, so I believe it should be a stringed instrument.

Meh... I guess it doesn't really matter what it's called.
Quote by Fate_of_Mind
True, but I find it very odd. It is an instrument played using the vibration of strings, so I believe it should be a stringed instrument.

Meh... I guess it doesn't really matter what it's called.

It's classified as percusive because of the hammers hitting the strings.
In an orchestra guitars are put in the percussion section too.

I would say Theremin or Sitars are the hardest to play
Last edited by dylpikle9 at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by dylpikle9
It's is classified as percusive because of the hammers hitting the strings.
In an orchestra guitars are put in the percussion section too.

I would've figured as much. Makes sense in a way... But I can't be bothered to really care whether or not piano or guitar or whatever are string or percussion instruments in an orchestra or not.

I'd definitely say that the violin would be hardest though (IMO).
Mostly what teh Madcap said. Although, I think many musicologists consider (French) horn to be the most difficult. Horn have to cover a pretty big range, and they have to have excellent control over lip tension to hit the right notes without cracking.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
bagpipe.

But I heard the violin is the hardest apparently, but I have no idea since I play the violin and piano.
Do you like Bagpipes?

Good for you

Quote by postmortem2006
Perfect metal stereotype;

If you have long hair, apparently your music goes RAGHHHHHRAGHRARGHRARGHHHHHHH.

I'm going to say Drums, you're using all 4 limbs all in different ways (usually). the speed that some of these drummers play at is insane, and the technicality............................
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Page 1 of 4