if your guitar has a humbucker (non-active unlike emg, blackouts, etc.) in the bridge position, take it out so it faces the opposite end.

ex:

was this
___ ___
I O I o I
I O I o I
I O I o I
I O I o I
I O I o I
I O I o I

now this

___ ___
I o I O I
I o I O I
I o I O I
I o I O I
I o I O I
I o I O I

what this does is takes the higher output end farther away from the bridge, which makes the sound thicker and less trebly, try it and tell me what you think. i did it and was extremely happy with the results.

so tell me if you liked it or not.
as long as that has no negative side effects, then thats a great idea.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
there was no negative side effects for me and you dont have to know anything about guitar electronics to do it, its super easy.
In a HH guitar the pickups are put out of phase with each other when you do that, so the middle position will sound different. You can achieve a very similar effect without the phase reverse by simply adjusting the pole pieces.
The bridge is at the bridge so it can be trebley, which is also why it's called the treble position, so doing this defeats the purpose of having it where it's supposed to be.
If you want less treble, switch to the middle or neck position, that's why they're there.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
but on the neck or middle theres not as much output, by switching it you get a thicker sound with as much bite. and also i didn't have the problem that roc8995 mentioned because i switched both of my pickups. switching the neck didn't make any sound difference.
Do not under any circumstances:
-Triple post
-Bump a thread after six minutes.
I've never really understood flipping the pickups around. Adjusting the pickup height and pole pieces has a nearly identical effect and is much easier to do.
Quote by grimguitarist91
bump

This isn't a chat room buddy...

And I've seen a couple guitarist do this, but to say there aren't any drawbacks isn't true. If that were the case then guitars would come stock with that setup. It's a tone thing that some like, but not everyone...
i agree it is a preference. i just want other people to try it and then tell me what they think about it. and yeah ive been told about the bumping. and by drawbacks it means there aren't any damaging side effects from doing it.
Did you make an account just to post this and be an attention *****, bumping your thread every 5 minutes?

Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
A lot of pickups have identical coils.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by grimguitarist91
i should also mention this is a trick that dimebag used but it works well for all styles of music.

no he didn't
Quote by steven seagull
A lot of pickups have identical coils.

+1. Also, there's no guarantee that the bridge side is hotter than the neck side.
you dont exchange the pickups you turn them around. and it doesnt make the sound warmer, it makes it thicker. look it up on wikipedia, dime definately did it.
heres a quote form wikipedia: "Dimebag used his pickups differently. He flipped the bridge pickup upside down, so the low-E string magnet was on the high-E string. This was because he wanted the sound not to be so shrill, similar to Jimi Hendrix, and it also meant the hotter coil of the humbucker was farther away from the bridge, which he said to Guitar World magazine makes the sound "totally thick and chunky."

wikipedia also has reason to say it because he was talking about it to Guitar World magazine.
Quote by grimguitarist91
you dont exchange the pickups you turn them around. and it doesnt make the sound warmer, it makes it thicker. look it up on wikipedia, dime definately did it.

I was referring to the coils. Your little mod only works if the hotter coil was closer to the bridge originally, and gets switched closer to the neck. What I'm saying is there's no guarantee that's the case, especially with nicer pickups which are scatterwound.
ok, i see what your saying. if you cant do it thats alright but the people that can should try it, i have and it does work.
I did this to the bridge pickup in my strat just for giggles. It doesn't sound shockingly different, but I just left it because i'm lazy.
I think adjusting the polepieces (if possible), and the actual pickup height affects tone more.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I did this to the bridge pickup in my strat just for giggles. It doesn't sound shockingly different, but I just left it because i'm lazy.
I think adjusting the polepieces (if possible), and the actual pickup height affects tone more.

lol way to be

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Today's Words of Wisdom:

Not everything on Wikipedia is true.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Today's Words of Wisdom:

Not everything on Wikipedia is true.

i agree but he talked about it a guitar magazine.
Quote by tenaciousjp
dave weiner does that too with his custom shop ibanez rg 7 string heres the vid he uses a d-sonic 7 at the bridge and he did the same thing that the TS did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbIcvej91e0&feature=related

he says he does that because he like the warmer sound

But that's the D-Sonic, the coils are tuned differently. Same with the Megadrive I think. The Dimarzio site even tells you this...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by grimguitarist91
bump

who the hell bumps a thread?
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15