jazz is most important of the two. and price doesn't matter if they sound good and last long i'm willing to pay
Quote by Deliriumbassist
strings really aren't genre specific.

What about flat-wound vs round-wound?
Hey, as long as we're on the subject, I'm in sort of a rut. I want to slap some flatwounds on my bass and give them a go, just to see how they'll sound/how I'll like them. However, I'm afraid of losing any treble sound that I have. Is there even a hint of treble in flatwounds or is it all pretty much gone?

Sorry to sort of steal your thread, but it seems relevant in my eyes.
there is treble. if you want to hear some, try listening to the recorded version of My Generation by The Who. a pick on brand new LaBella flats, all done with a Jazz Bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
There's treble but no growl. With the right amp it can sound great but I recommend flat-wounds for jazz/classic rock. They don't make a great sound for metal.
I like flats for country and preclassic rock.

jazz is better with rounds, in my godly opinion.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
there is treble. if you want to hear some, try listening to the recorded version of My Generation by The Who. a pick on brand new LaBella flats, all done with a Jazz Bass.

I thought that My Generation was recorded on the Danelectro ANybody want to clarify this for me, please?
I guess it depends what kind of jazz. Rounds are a must for funk but 30s and 40s jazz can do better with flats on a fretless.
Quote by watchingmefall
I thought that My Generation was recorded on the Danelectro ANybody want to clarify this for me, please?

I read that he tried with a dano, but broke strings on every one because he was playing too hard. then he just dropped some new strings on his J-bass when the store ran out, and that's how he got the tone.

I could be wrong.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

No its even worse than that. Danelectro basses, were very popular in Surf music (think the Ventures) because they had really light strings. Wanting that sound, he bought an imported bass in London (not cheap). When he snapped the strings during a the first few takes, they went out to find replacement strings--no dice. So he had to buy, yes, buy a whole new Danelectro bass. Same thing happened again, and now he had to buy a yet a third.

At this point, I've heard two versions of the legend--one is that the record got recorded finally with the 3rd bass, the other version was that he ended up recording it on a Jazz Bass.

And back to the question--for strings Jazz and metal are two much different sounds. I tend to use flatwounds (RotoSound RS77LD ) on the Fretless for Jazz. But if you EQ it right you can get a decent Jazz sound on a set of less than new roundwounds (Again I use Rotos, myself).
I read it in a book 2 months ago. the one thing I'm sure of is the J-bass with LaBellas.

Danos confuse me. it looks ike they have crazy string spacing, I know they use light guage strings, and they are really short. How do the strings not hit each other?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by watchingmefall

Wrong, he attempted to record it on a danelectro, however he snapped through all the strings. Then because he couldn't find danelectro strings anywhere he had to buy a whole new bass. This then happened again and he bought another and yet again the strings broke. He then gave up and recorded it on a Fender Jazz using a pick.
Quote by the humanity
Danos confuse me. it looks ike they have crazy string spacing, I know they use light guage strings, and they are really short. How do the strings not hit each other?

As I said above, Danelectros were the favourite choice of quite a few surf music bass players, and with people who wanted a "twangy" sound. This usually necessitates a pick style, which with narrower string spacing is quite easy to do.
but won't the strings hit each other?

and why are they so bloody ugly?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard