Hey pit, I'm 16...yum...good age
Anyway around where I live gas is really expensive and the weather is pretty dry. I can get my full license now. Should I get a motorbike?
I'd love to get a motorbike. Go for it!
^Very nice, but this is my personal favourite.
They call it a Motorbike where I live......

Yep.
My favorite band is Tool.

Quote by dio_dude
despite the funny name, unknownpunkrock is the coolest 08'er.

Ibanez GRG
Vox AD30VT
Randall RG50TC
Takamine C128
Dano Wah
Yamaha S90
I honestly just googled crotch rocket, it's not my favorite or anything.
Any crotch rocket will do, becuase they are all awesome. I want one pretty bad, but I'll probably stick with a car for a while until I move out.
Yes. I'm going to do it next year. Not only are they cheaper to run, but also much cheaper to buy. Unless your constantly carting stuff back and forth, then they're the obvious choice. And, Poll?
Quote by fretsonfire74
Yes. I'm going to do it next year. Not only are they cheaper to run, but also much cheaper to buy. Unless your constantly carting stuff back and forth, then they're the obvious choice. And, Poll?
Acquiring the license is much more expensive though.
Quote by leephan
Acquiring the license is much more expensive though.

Idk where u get that from, my bike license was the same $$$ as my car. Also, TS if ur serious about getting a bike don't get anything bigger than a 600 for your first bike. You will be dead in a month. And damn sure don't get a Busa. This is what i started on:

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=263

PERFECT bike to start out on, great gas (75MPG) nice power; 0-60 is 5.7 secs, probably faster than any car you've been in. It has a good amount of power for you to learn on, but not so much that if (when) you get into trouble you can't get out.
GEAR

Hohner MR-800
B.C. Rich Rich Bich Platinum
MIC Squier Strat
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Fab chorus
Fab echo
Fender Super champ XD
Suzuki GN250 is what you need.
What I need.
What everyone need.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by feceger
Should I get a motorbike?

Absolutely. One of these.

You can get me one while you're at it.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
i like this thread.
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Yes get one, but don't get a damn crotch rocket, no kawasaki ninjas, hayabusas, suzuki gixers, fireblades, whatever.

Fatboy. Do it.

I got my license almost a month ago (in the UK) and it was pathetically easy, I passed first time with no faults.

KOL40, I was looking at getting a 250 ninja 'cos it's just under the 2 year power restrictions in Britain, however I'm worried that I'll get bored with it rather quickly, since, you know it is only a 250. Do you reckon it would get too boring? I know you're going to be biased 'cos you own the damn thing but still.
Quote by blynd_snyper

Fatboy. Do it.

No, don't. Get a proper bike.

GSX-R's ftw.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
Quote by blynd_snyper
Yes, 'cos a 16 year old with a new license is just the kind of person who should be on the road on a gixer.

Yeah, I forgot he's only 16.

Something like a Ninja 250 would be an ideal first bike though if you've got the money.

Quote by Kumanji
Quote by Vince Noir
Yeah, I forgot he's only 16.

Something like a Ninja 250 would be an ideal first bike though if you've got the money.

*big pic*

Yeah a ninja is a good call, I'd get one if I weren't so worried about them being underpowered.

I know what you mean about fatboys though, horrible to drive, pose machines, etc. But just look at them, they're so pretty. So pretty!
To the asshole who reccomended a Gixxer:

YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE

Quote by blynd_snyper
KOL40, I was looking at getting a 250 ninja 'cos it's just under the 2 year power restrictions in Britain, however I'm worried that I'll get bored with it rather quickly, since, you know it is only a 250. Do you reckon it would get too boring? I know you're going to be biased 'cos you own the damn thing but still.

It is pretty damn quick as i mentioned in my post. It depends on how fast you want to go.

Want to do the speed limit? Check
Want to drag mustangs and win? Check
Want to do one-thirty-five on the highway? No-check

If you are going to be rideing legally it is perfectly good. Don't expect any stunts except a wheelie from a dead stop. Also, the rideing position is very comfortable for a sport bike. If you want more power you could try the 500 or 650R, both are beginner bikes. I just think the 250 looks the best. And i no longer own it:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1218654927

Scroll down to my "big pic" And you can tell (unless my profile is private then you can't).
GEAR

Hohner MR-800
B.C. Rich Rich Bich Platinum
MIC Squier Strat
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Fab chorus
Fab echo
Fender Super champ XD
250's will be more economical to run, and will get you everywhere legally quick (a sportbike that is)
I wouldn't get a sportbike though, they're fugly, go for a cruiser...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Those little ninja 250's are a good bike to start on you will outgrow it pretty quick though, you can find late model Suzuki Katana 600's and 750's for decent prices ($2k-$4k) if you into sport bikes,

If your into cruisers, check out the Yamaha V-Star series (650's and 1100) They are very nice dependable bikes, seem to run forever. I ride a 2005 V-Star 1100 it;s great. It's my first cruiser and i'm impressed with it, i have always rode sport bikes (crotch rockets). The V-Star is far more dependable and way cheaper to maintain then any model Harley Davidson and since your only 16 I doubt you could afford any HD besides the sportster and thats just a chic bike any way.....
Quote by KOL40
It is pretty damn quick as i mentioned in my post. It depends on how fast you want to go.

Want to do the speed limit? Check
Want to drag mustangs and win? Check
Want to do one-thirty-five on the highway? No-check

If you are going to be rideing legally it is perfectly good. Don't expect any stunts except a wheelie from a dead stop. Also, the rideing position is very comfortable for a sport bike. If you want more power you could try the 500 or 650R, both are beginner bikes. I just think the 250 looks the best. And i no longer own it:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1218654927

Scroll down to my "big pic" And you can tell (unless my profile is private then you can't).

I couldn't see the pic, but it's no worry, I know how it looks and it is very pretty.

The one thing that I'm worried about is that it just lacks the punch of a more powerful bike. I understand that it'll go rather fast (I heard the top speed is 110) which is faster than what I need, but it's not going to have the same powerful feel behind it.

Anyway, I'll probably just take one out for a test drive some day and judge from there.

EDIT:
Quote by whitecl0ver
Those little ninja 250's are a good bike to start on you will outgrow it pretty quick though, you can find late model Suzuki Katana 600's and 750's for decent prices ($2k-$4k) if you into sport bikes,

If your into cruisers, check out the Yamaha V-Star series (650's and 1100) They are very nice dependable bikes, seem to run forever. I ride a 2005 V-Star 1100 it;s great. It's my first cruiser and i'm impressed with it, i have always rode sport bikes (crotch rockets). The V-Star is far more dependable and way cheaper to maintain then any model Harley Davidson and since your only 16 I doubt you could afford any HD besides the sportster and thats just a chic bike any way.....

Yeah, TS, if you're looking to go down the cruiser route then the Yamaha V-Stars are decent, also check out the Kawasaki vulcan 900 classic. It's a good size for a beginner, it'll be tame enough to learn on and powerful enough to last you a while.

At the moment I'm so bloody jealous of you Americans, I hate the 2 year power restriction. I'm not allowed to ride anything with more output than 33bhp, which is absolute bogus. I don't want a bike that I'll get bored of and I don't want to restrict something to the point that it becomes slow as hell.
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by KOL40
To the asshole who reccomended a Gixxer:

YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE

Thanks.

I wasn't exactly recommending it to the new rider, I was responding to blynd_snyper recommending a Fatboy over a superbike. Though, after having had a 750 K5, I can't praise them enough.

Quote by blynd_snyper
I hate the 2 year power restriction. I'm not allowed to ride anything with more output than 33bhp, which is absolute bogus. I don't want a bike that I'll get bored of and I don't want to restrict something to the point that it becomes slow as hell.

Then cheat, like I did. I had a CB500 restricted to 33bhp and got the papers to prove it, then just whipped the carb off and took the restrictor plates out of the inlets. No-one will ever know.

Quote by Kumanji
Last edited by Vince Noir at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by Vince Noir
Thanks.

I wasn't exactly recommending it to the new rider, I was responding to blynd_snyper recommending a Fatboy over a superbike. Though, after having had a 750 K5, I can't praise them enough.

Yeah, I know, superbikes are better, blah blah, but honestly tell me this, which is cooler?

Or

Go on, you know you love some fatboy.

EDIT: ^ Yeah, I've been thinking about trying that, but I just really don't feel like having my license taken away.

If a copper pulls you over can they check to make sure that the restrictor is in place?
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by blynd_snyper
Yeah, I know, superbikes are better, blah blah, but honestly tell me this, which is cooler?

Or

Go on, you know you love some fatboy.

True, Arnie wouldn't have looked half as cool on anything else.

It's still slow as fuck though.

EDIT

Quote by blynd_snyper
EDIT: ^ Yeah, I've been thinking about trying that, but I just really don't feel like having my license taken away.

If a copper pulls you over can they check to make sure that the restrictor is in place?

How would they check that? They're not gonna spend an hour stripping your bike at the roadside, to check stuff like inlet restrictors. As long as you've got a certificate proving you had it done you should be fine.

Quote by Kumanji
Just be sure you understand the full dangers of driving one.

My cousin was driving his one time and there was this big rig on the side of him. It turns out that the trucker didn't see him and started to change lanes. My cousin had to jump two gears immediately to get out of the way (There was a car behind him, so he couldn't stop). He just made it and had the bike standing almost straight up.
Also, someone at my school died this year on a motorcycle.

Just be aware that motorcycles are harder to see and you are taking a risk.
I'm hoping to get one sometime in the future.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by spartan 118

My cousin was driving his one time and there was this big rig on the side of him. It turns out that the trucker didn't see him and started to change lanes. My cousin had to jump two gears immediately to get out of the way (There was a car behind him, so he couldn't stop). He just made it and had the bike standing almost straight up.

I'll say to you as I would say to my mom if she was saying the same thing.

You can't deny love for something just because it's dangerous.Just buy your gear,try to be safe as much as you can,everything else is up to "destiny"!

Starter bike=Ninja 250R(on a bike 30bhp is not that little)
Later=Gixxer K8 600
Later Later=Giiiiiiiiiiiixxer
Later Later Richman Later-Desmosedici
Hodam,a stojim...
Last edited by Azrael_031 at Jul 22, 2008,
Quote by Vince Noir
True, Arnie wouldn't have looked half as cool on anything else.

It's still slow as fuck though.

EDIT

How would they check that? They're not gonna spend an hour stripping your bike at the roadside, to check stuff like inlet restrictors. As long as you've got a certificate proving you had it done you should be fine.

If you're riding a cruiser and you're thinking about speed then quite frankly, you're doing it wrong. They're slow, then handle poorly, they don't accelerate well, but they're still awesome.

Yeah, I know they're not going to go to a great extent to check your bike is restricted, but I've heard that some of the motorbike coppers are wising up nowadays and more and more people are getting clocked for it.
Quote by spartan 118

Yeah, you are REALLY vulnerable around other vehicles because they just don't see you (or look for you) half of the time. But they'd be boring if they were as safe as cars.

You've just got to be careful. I've found having a loud exhaust helps a lot - if they can't see you, maybe they'll at least hear you.

Quote by blynd_snyper
Yeah, I know they're not going to go to a great extent to check your bike is restricted, but I've heard that some of the motorbike coppers are wising up nowadays and more and more people are getting clocked for it.

I don't know about bike cops as I've never dealt with them, but I was pulled for speeding by traffic cops last year (the ones in the T5 Volvo's). As they checked my bike looking for every little fault they completely overlooked the blatantly illegal Yoshimura race pipe I had on and just gave me a ticket for a small number plate. If they can't spot something like that, chances are they won't have a clue if it's restricted or not.

I'm not saying you should do it, just that the chances of getting done for it are really slim.

Quote by Kumanji
Quote by Vince Noir
Yeah, you are REALLY vulnerable around other vehicles because they just don't see you (or look for you) half of the time. But they'd be boring if they were as safe as cars.

You've just got to be careful. I've found having a loud exhaust helps a lot - if they can't see you, maybe they'll at least hear you.

Akrapovic FTW!
Quote by blynd_snyper
Akrapovic FTW!

Actually not,Yoshimura FTW.

In Croatia AkrapoviČ exhausts are pretty popular,but every time i see a Yoshi,it manages to get more power and a greater sound out of a bike
Hodam,a stojim...
Quote by Azrael_031
Actually not,Yoshimura FTW.

Actually, Racefit ftw. You should hear these things roar.

Quote by JackalUK
I'm still restricted to a bloody 125cc.....

Yeah, it's crap innit? I was on a 50 for a year, and a 125 for 2 years, but you gotta start somewhere.

Quote by Kumanji
16 and a bike? You do have parents right? I would never let a 16 year old out with a moto unless it was just to drive around an empty parking lot. There are experienced riders who take dives all the time and 95% of the time it isn't even their fault. I would get some real driving experience (in a car) first before tackling a bike, and as someone already said when you do get one make it 500cc or under. I've been riding for 20+ years and there are too many idiots in cars that will turn you into road kill when you have 100% exeprience let alone 0% experience. If you must ride get a cheap dirt bike first and putt around in an empty parking lot for at least a year before investing in a street bike.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
get a triumph street triple or a daytona triple 675. Got the get british:P
HAVE A NICE DAY!