Does anyone know how i can get a similar sound out of my strat. Chad Urmston from the band Dispatch has a 58 les paul jr. and the sound he had at the zimbabwe concert was awesome. Hes playing in "whaddya wanna be", bats in the bellfry", "passerby" and a few others.
Im refering to that tone. or anything close.
Any suggestions?
put a p90 in the bridge.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
yep. P-90 in the bridge. That's all you can do to your strat. If you get or build another guitar, get a mahogany flat top (slab) les paul. and put a P-90 in the bridge,
_______
|||||||||||||||
or boost your mids, slightly turn down the tine knob for your middle pickup, and use both the bridge and middle pickups.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
or boost your mids, slightly turn down the tine knob for your middle pickup, and use both the bridge and middle pickups.

Do you think I could get a sound even remotely close with an effects pedal?
well, effects pedals just add an effect to your existing guitar tone, they dont really make your guitar tone sound like a different guitar. maybe with an eq pedal you can boost some of the lower-mids it may help. not really alot you can do though
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
damn i hate to part ways with my strat but ive been looking for a new sound and when i heard that i knew it was it..... any ideas for a sharper sound from my strat?
Don't get rid of the strat!

If you pick up a 1 pickup Junior-style guitar, you're going to be sad at the versatility you will lose. Strats are seriously so great. You'll realize it, if not right away, that you miss that guitar.

If you want, get another cheapish guitar and put in a Seymour Duncan P-Rails pickup. It is switchable between strat-style single coil, humbucker, and P-90, and it is a P-90 at heart. I've heard it's the best noiseless P-90 replica available.

But don't jump into a single tone so quickly, because your strat could probably pull off something close anyway, and you can always go back to typical strat sounds.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Ahh thats a good idea! I can go cheap with another guitar and add in the P-Rails pickup. I love my strat way too much , I dont think i could actually give it up! lol
Last edited by PlankSpanker06 at Jul 5, 2008,
well, if you're gonna get a relatively cheap guitar, you should try to find a copy of a "slab" les paul like the Vintage VR100 series imo. they do a double cutaway junior and a single cutaway special, both of which have P-90s. i have tried a few Vintage guitars (the brand, not really old guitars), and they are actually pretty good quality. You can get cheap P-90 equipped guitars. Either that or get a cheapy epi les paul junior and put a humbucker-sized P-90 in it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
well, if you're gonna get a relatively cheap guitar, you should try to find a copy of a "slab" les paul like the Vintage VR100 series imo. they do a double cutaway junior and a single cutaway special, both of which have P-90s. i have tried a few Vintage guitars (the brand, not really old guitars), and they are actually pretty good quality. You can get cheap P-90 equipped guitars. Either that or get a cheapy epi les paul junior and put a humbucker-sized P-90 in it.

this guy is right.

ive played these vintage guitars, and theyre ****ing awesome!!!!
i guess you could try rolling down your tone knob or something (though if it's wired like a vintage strat, that's not gonna work).

epiphone produced a '57 lp junior reissue a while back. they're discontinued, but if you can find one they seem to go for around £150, and the one i tried was actually quite nice for the money. might be worth considering. vintages might be worth a look too, but i haven't tried their lp special copy.

i wouldn't sell your strat though, you might regret it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?