I am still looking into buying a Schecter Hellraiser C-1, and I need to figure out to switch out the EMG's for Blackouts. I've listened to the Blackouts on youtube, and thought they were identical (because all i heard with them was a bunch of High-gain) until I ran across a video that actually showed them clean and playing blues, and I was very suprised how versatile they are. I just wanted some first hand expereince opinions of them, and please tell me what music you play too.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
ive got a schecter C1 Hellraiser. btw i love it. its loaded with a pair of EMG's. boy do they scream. honestly, i think it has a great clean tone. with the coil tap capability it can get pretty glassy. honestly i love my schecter and i love my EMG's wouldnt change a thing.
One word.... preference.

And don't judge amps/pickups/guitars/effects/anything by youtube videos. The compression those videos go through when they're uploaded erases anything that would allow you to get a good idea of whatever you're listening to sounds like.

www.netmusicians.org is a good site to hear samples of various guitar gear.
I play everything from country to metal. I think my EMG81/85 combo works out real nice for everything.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I went to try out the guitar at Sim's music, and they didn't even have any Schecters. No one around where I live sells them. The closest place is guitar center that's like 2 hours away. I'll go check out that site. Hopefully it will help. I don't think I said what amp I use, but I will run it through a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. That thing should make most anything sound good. I've heard a lot of different things about the EMG's, but most say it's to what you like. I play anything from metal to jazz and everything in between (except country, lol). I will mostly use this guitar for the metal i play such as Dream Theater.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
I tried out the website, and there is one guy who actually is using a Mark IV and a Schecter Hellraiser, and can seem to get pretty good tones out of it. The only thing is to me, is that the EMG's seem to sound 1 dimensional, and I don't know if the blackouts will sound the same or not. And what I mean by 1 dimensional, is that it sounds fantastic for metal and stuff, but not for blues or that sort of thing. I wasn't expecting it too, and I have a few guitars that do that very well. It's either the Hellraiser, or I might try to find a vintage Kramer Pacer for around the same price.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by T!AN
One word.... preference.

And don't judge amps/pickups/guitars/effects/anything by youtube videos. The compression those videos go through when they're uploaded erases anything that would allow you to get a good idea of whatever you're listening to sounds like.

www.netmusicians.org is a good site to hear samples of various guitar gear.

I don't know...my tone doesn't change that much...
I prefer Blackouts to EMGs, but as with all tone it's subject to preference.

It annoying that Blackouts are really rare so you can't A/B them with EMGs to see the difference, but I took the plunge and I'm happy with them.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
i wouldnt say the difference is big enough to rip out the emg's and pay for the blackouts when you got emg's already stock.* If I was gonna get blackouts I'd put them in another guitar.* Unless you plan on selling the emg's and getting your money back.* If not then don't buy a hellraiser. Buy one of the c-1's that are the same without the EMG's. Then put blackouts.
or check my sig....i have a hellraiser with blackouts...im a huge blackout fan...and look...im replacing it....with a rr24 which i will put a blackout in
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by JLT73
I play everything from country to metal. I think my EMG81/85 combo works out real nice for everything.
I've heard that the 81/85 combo distorts the cleans a bit, is this true? I've also heard that running them in 18v helps with that. I don't know how to do that though.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
^^yes...active pickups are meant for high gain applications....not for clean styles...emg and sd will both tell u the same thing
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by twinturboaudi
^^yes...active pickups are meant for high gain applications....not for clean styles...emg and sd will both tell u the same thing
Well how does running them in 18v help with that?
-Bugera 333XL 212
I've heard that Blackouts are more "organic" in relation to tone than EMGs, which some classify as sounding sterile.

I've personally never played Blackouts, but EMGs are not exactly my cup of tea.
Quote by NowhereOutThere
I've heard that Blackouts are more "organic" in relation to tone than EMGs, which some classify as sounding sterile.

blackout actually bring out the tone of the guitar better...emgs will sound pretty much the same in most guitars....this has been my experience and is not necessarily fact
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by DDoug
Well how does running them in 18v help with that?

never bothered,,,i shouldnt have to run two batteries to get decent sound....my blackouts did that for me
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by NowhereOutThere

I listened to audio demos of the Blackouts on Youtube and I see what you mean by that.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Are the C-1 Schecters the same as the Hellraiser without the EMG's? If so, then I'll just get that and put Blackout's in it.

To the guy selling the Hellraiser, I would love to get it, but my parents will probably think your trying to rip me off or something. Best of luck to you selling it.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
I was checking them out, and I think I am going to get the Hellraiser with the 81/89 combo, and try it out for myself, and if I don't like it, then I'll trade them out for the blackouts and sell the EMG's and get back some money. I'll put up that money to go towards my next guitar, a PRS Custom 22
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by mlkIII
Are the C-1 Schecters the same as the Hellraiser without the EMG's? If so, then I'll just get that and put Blackout's in it.

To the guy selling the Hellraiser, I would love to get it, but my parents will probably think your trying to rip me off or something. Best of luck to you selling it.

Don't you have enough great guitars already? Surely you won't want to play blues with active pickups when you have 2 gibsons and a strat. I really doubt you getting a 1 dimensional metal guitar would be that big of a downfall

I would go for that guitar by the way, you get more for your money and its already customized how you would like it. SD Blackouts all the way!
^^^right....how could it be a rip off....over$1000 worth of stuff for $700 shipped?....
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Instead of only looking at schecter hellraisers why don't you look at those new ones (I think they're called blackjacks?) that schecter just came out with that have blackouts in them stock?

They arnt as flashy as the hellraiser but the simplicity is nice, just an inlay on the 12th fret, and the same price as the hellraiser and is also available with a floyd rose, why don't you just try them out and get which one you like instead of all this pickup swappin business?
You Are Now Aware Of Your Own Breathing
Quote by conquistador
Instead of only looking at schecter hellraisers why don't you look at those new ones (I think they're called blackjacks?) that schecter just came out with that have blackouts in them stock?

They arnt as flashy as the hellraiser but the simplicity is nice, just an inlay on the 12th fret, and the same price as the hellraiser and is also available with a floyd rose, why don't you just try them out and get which one you like instead of all this pickup swappin business?

they are called blackjack atx
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by twinturboaudi
^^^right....how could it be a rip off....over$1000 worth of stuff for $700 shipped?....

don't ask me dude, i think it's stupid too. You put a lot of aftermarket stuff into it, and it should be worth more. I tried explaining it to them and they just said no.

I like the flashiness of the Hellraiser. I think it's a beautiful guitar. The Black Cherry looks great. And the other guy is pretty much right. I don't think I'm going to be playing to much blues, but that doesn't mean I won't be playing clean stuff on this guitar either. I like my tone to be versatile in everything I buy.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by twinturboaudi

I see you got that exotic star.
Quote by DDoug
I've heard that the 81/85 combo distorts the cleans a bit, is this true? I've also heard that running them in 18v helps with that. I don't know how to do that though.

not so much. I can get a very squeaky clean sound with both the 81 and 85. Its all how you eq.

I don't know much about the 18v mod.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by twinturboaudi
blackout actually bring out the tone of the guitar better...emgs will sound pretty much the same in most guitars....this has been my experience and is not necessarily fact

So true.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by mlkIII
I am still looking into buying a Schecter Hellraiser C-1, and I need to figure out to switch out the EMG's for Blackouts. I've listened to the Blackouts on youtube, and thought they were identical (because all i heard with them was a bunch of High-gain) until I ran across a video that actually showed them clean and playing blues, and I was very suprised how versatile they are. I just wanted some first hand expereince opinions of them, and please tell me what music you play too.

I prefer EMGs but your best bet is to try both side by side with two guitars.
EDIT:
I play that obnoxious "hardcore" stuff
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
If you get EMGs, do the 18v mod. Really gives the EMGs a lot more clarity and such.
Quote by solidsnake15
I see you got that exotic star.

yes i do
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by twinturboaudi
yes i do

Me too I got the snow leopard. I want the blue one too. That guitar I like more than more expensive ones. It's actually the best guitar I've owned. I love the stock pickups in it too.