Page 1 of 2
I'm going to get a small battery powered amp for my moms house to play, and bring to school and stuff.

What do you thinks better:

Vox DA5 or a Roland Microcube. Name others too, if you think somthings good.
Line 6 Micro Spider
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod
Line 6 Micro Spider

I think he said he wants an AMP, not a hissing solid-state monster with an INSANE setting.

I personally love the Vox DA5, great tones. If not, try the Roland Microcube. Both are well respected brands and amps on this site.
its not solid state...its ****ing digital! is everyone on this site oblivious to that? and it doesnt hiss..and finally, i'm sick of getting ****ing flamed for recommending Line 6 when their really good amps if you try them instead of condemning them
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod
its not solid state...its ****ing digital! is everyone on this site oblivious to that? and it doesnt hiss..and finally, i'm sick of getting ****ing flamed for recommending Line 6 when their really good amps if you try them instead of condemning them

SS is pretty much the same thing as Digital, it has a SS power amp and a digital preamp, thus, it's still a SS.

And yes, it hisses horribly. My friend has one and I have to use it when I go over to his house to jam, that thing is like a bee hive in a box, sounds like crap no matter what I do to it.

No one said Line 6 is bad, just the spiders. Flextones are good amps for the money and the HD147 and Vetta II are kickass amps that I wouldn't mind having if I had the cash.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Spider III's are beastly now...i've had some experience with the Micro Spider and the one i was using didnt hiss at all, idk...i know noone said Line 6 is bad but every time i post something about Line 6 i get flamed and i'm sick of it
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod

SS=DIGITAL.
and quit defending them just because you own a giant waste of cashmoney.

The spiders suck, accept this fact, and you'll be fine.

I say microcube.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
kool...you sir are an idiot, my Spider rapes your Traynor...
and Fr if you tried them you might like them
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
^ I don't bash Spiders because I believe they're good at whey they're meant for... practice amps. Anything over 30 watts is a waste of (as kool98769 put it) cashmoney.

If you stopped recommending them when they're inappropriate and stopped making stupid comments (like above) people wouldn't flame you.

It doesn't take Eric Johnson to hear the vast difference between a spider and an amp like the Traynor YCV50. Enjoy your amp, but don't be ignorant.
Quote by BassGuitarGod
I'm pretty sure an All tube traynor is better than a Spider.
Quote by BassGuitarGod

*REPORTED* for being an idiot to tone.
I seriously doubt how a completely crap amp can sound better than a tube amp, seriously.

I own the Fender Mini-Tone Master. It's pretty good. Runs on battery or wall-wart, has 2 2" speakers, Gain, Volume, Tone, Power knobs, and it goes from really clean to metal distortion. My 3 favorite settings are:

Fender Clean
Gain: 0
Volume: 10
Tone: 7

Marshall Crunch
Gain: 5-7
Volume: under 6
Tone: 6

Metal
Gain: dimed
Volume: under 3
Tone: 8

I've seen the MS-2 Marshall micro sounding just like a cranked plexi, so go with that if you don't mind having the volume @ 10 for the full potential of the amp, but it's not as flexible as the mini tone-master. Quite a few reviews on the '57 mini tweed amp state that it's better than the mini tone-master. If you can try it out, consider it. But I recommend the Fender mini Tone-Master simply because I own it and for practicing it sounds great. I didn't get the Marshall MS-2/4 because it doesn't have a gain knob, just Off-On-OD.

After doing a mission trip in Jamaica I was gone for a week, now I'm back and played along with GNR's SCOM and I sounded like Slash with:

Gain: 8
Volume: equal to pc speakers
Tone: 5.4
Power: ON OF COURSE LOL
I got some good guitars, yo.
Last edited by Leat at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by FRDesign
I'm no n00b

lol.

I'd go out and try the DA5 and Microcube out, people seem to be split on which they prefer.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The general rule of thumb around UG seems to be if you're into cleans and classic rock distortion, then go for Vox, but if you want something a little heavier and more on the metal side, try the Roland cube series.

The Vox high gain distortion settings are actually very decent if you ask me, so I'm more inclined to the Vox DA5 myself seeing as I own one.
Quote by Iamonfire
I think he said he wants an AMP, not a hissing solid-state monster with an INSANE setting.

I personally love the Vox DA5, great tones. If not, try the Roland Microcube. Both are well respected brands and amps on this site.

-10 to the Line6 remark
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Frankly, i've never plugged into a Spider III. You guy's sure have me curious.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
they get an overly bad rep here IMO. it is a waste of money once you get to 30W and above but 15W for $100 and built in effects is a really good deal if youre looking for something to mess around at lower volume levels.

as for the mini amp, i dont really think you can go wrong with either the micro spider, microcube, or DA5. it sounds like the TS is just looking for something to use for short periods of time when away from his standard amp. therefore, its not so much tone as affordabilty and practicality. your best bet is to just try them all out (i dont think there'll be that much of a difference at that level)
Quote by BassGuitarGod

Digital amps ARE solid state you big muppet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Lots of fighting has gone on in this thread.

Anyways, I played both, and for cleaner and bluesier stuff, I preferred the Vox DA5. And, I liked the microcube more for higher gain stuff.
Both were good amps though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Anyone tried the Orange Microcrush yet? I heard the Crushes weren't too good, and the micro's clean is okay, but it's only $55...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by BassGuitarGod

it's a sig just waiting...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I use a Fender MD-20. It's tiny, runs on a 9v and has decent volume. Sounds great clean, and has a very bluesy overdrive. It's a great piece of kit, but doesn't do high-gain very well. On the upside, it's loud enough to play in a noisy environment, has a wide range of sounds and lasts a month on a single battery. It's also about the size of a bag of sugar, so it just slips in your guitar case/bag. Looks like this:

Retails for about £30, don't know in $ but would think about $60.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by BassGuitarGod

Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by BassGuitarGod

I guess I shall sig it then
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
sg622, does running Your VK through that 2x12 make a big difference in the sound? I was thinking about doing the same thing.

To TS- Microcube wins it for me
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I have an Orange Microcrush, its alright, you can get a fairly decent clean tone out of it, but the overdrive is a big no-no. It also has a nice LED tuner built into it, and with it being an Orange amp, it looks the dogs knackers. Not bad for the price aswell!
Last edited by Jeff_Vader at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by Jeff_Vader
but the overdrive is a big no-no.
Quote by Jeff_Vader
Not bad for the price aswell!

RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yeah, by that I mean the overdrive is pretty crap, but for like £25 its not really that bad...
Quote by Jeff_Vader
Yeah, by that I mean the overdrive is pretty crap, but for like £25 its not really that bad...

Oh okay.

I just think the Micro Cube would be a little overkill for me, all I need is decent drive and cleans and portability...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
I don't think you can really go wrong with the DA5 or Microcube. Both are great portable amps.. the line 6 spider however......................
Quote by BassGuitarGod
Spider III's are beastly now...i've had some experience with the Micro Spider and the one i was using didnt hiss at all, idk...i know noone said Line 6 is bad but every time i post something about Line 6 i get flamed and i'm sick of it

your actually getting offended by an internet forum its funny

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by yoyodunno
Spider III is what the salesmen at guitarcenter try to push on you and when i played it, it was fizzy undefined distortion and bland cleans.

Guys at GC never try to sell me a Spider, they try to sell me a Diezel or some kind of $3000 guitar, but I guess I have it coming when I go in there and play both
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by classicrocker01
sg622, does running Your VK through that 2x12 make a big difference in the sound? I was thinking about doing the same thing.

To TS- Microcube wins it for me

HUGE difference. more bass response + better tone over all. everything sounds alot bigger and more full. plus the v'30s are much better quality.

edit: however, id rather recommend you get an OD and a MXR 10 band EQ before the cab. the cab will sound great but nothing compared to putting an eq through your fx loop and tightening things up with the OD. Youll be surprised to see how drastic your tone will change with those 2 pedals.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Last edited by sg622 at Jul 6, 2008,
Page 1 of 2