So heres the deal. I'm thinking about going into to teaching. I've been asked/told many times I should but I keep denying it because I dont think I'd be a great teacher. But I've decided to try. So when teaching a complete beginner all the way up to say intermediate how would ya'll start and progress?

I've figured this sorta thing up and please tear it apart/debate on what would be the best way to start with a beginner and teach long enough to make them pretty dern' good.

Open String Names
Notes on the strings
Picking
Alternate Picking
Basic open Chords
Tuning
Rhythm (Timing)
Reading Chord Charts
Reading Standard Notation
Major Scale
Relative Minor
Metronome Practice
Basic Scale Theory (Blues Scale, Mixolydian/Dorian, etc)
Chord Theory (Triads)
Bending/Vibrato/Technique
Ear Training
Improvisation (Bring in Backing Tracks possibly?)
Licks/Alternate Tunings/Fun stuff/Arrpeggios/Tremlo

Let them go because thats about as best i know without having to look back and read a book to them haha
My Guitars:
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez GRG170DX
Ibanez Telecaster Model (1980? Unsure...)
Ibanez AW35RECENT
My Amps:
Line 6 Spyder IV 150 Watt Half-Stack
Ibanez Tone Blaster TB225C
My Toys:
Boss GT-8 Effects Processor
New students get frustrated really easy, especially if the beginning lessons are all technique and theory. A good way to keep their attention right from the get go is to have them bring in songs they like and you dissect it for them. You could start off pretty easy just maybe the chord progressions, scales used, and maybe some easy licks if the song has them. The student will now be interested in what they are learning, they will be getting theory and depending how complex you want to get with it, also learning song construction.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
You're going to teach open chords before how to read chord charts? You also mentioned modes before triads???

Give a beginner something to hold on to... something interesting. Do you think someone is going to practice alternate picking the low E string they learned about? OR, do you think they would rather learn some easy songs to see how it pays off.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
You're going to teach open chords before how to read chord charts? You also mentioned modes before triads???

I don't think the OP was saying that the list was in the order he would be teaching, but just a list of everything that a beginner would need to learn to get to the intermediate level, and wanting to know if there was anything else to add to the list.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
I start with easy open chord or power chord based songs depending on what sort of music they're into, the only time this has ever presented a problem for me was this one only listened to 80s shred stuff and prog, I ended up referring him to a classical teacher (who also plays electric and knows how to rock) that's one thing you absolutely must remember if what the student wants to learn is beyond your scope, find someone else they can teach and recommend them to the student, this is good because a.) if you try to teach something you yourself haven't mastered you will look like an incompetent asshole and B.) the referral thing goes both ways, if you recommend people who are really dominant in one or two style they will recommend you to students looking to learn more of whatever it is you are into /good at.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
People beginning to play the guitar want to play songs, riffs, that their friends will recognise.

You are coming at it far to theoretically for a beginner. Teach them songs, easy ones things they know. Green day, Beatles, stuff like that , then start introducing concepts and explaining how they make up those songs.
A student will not impress their friends by saying check out my a minor pentatonic scale, they will by saying check out my Wake me up when sept ends riff.

Try to think like a beginner and what you wanted and then hide the theory in the info.
Agh forgot to mention I would do the teaaching them songs along the way through out. I also mentioned the scales etc before triads because once they know what a 1 3 5 actually is according to a scale it would make it a bit easier to understand imo.
(For example:
Me: A Chord such as a C-Major is formed out of a triad such as C-E-G which is the 1-3-5 of a major scale.
Student: Whats a major scale?
Me: Oh yeah... forgot to tell you about those.)

Also I'm one of those people who like to play 80's shred rock and stuff so I dont think i would have to refer a student to another teacher who can shred. Unless it was either my guitar teacher who was into it :P

Also dont tear any of my actual opinions apart I'm just a teenager trying to make a few extra bucks.
My Guitars:
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez GRG170DX
Ibanez AW35RECENT
My Amps:
My Toys:
Last edited by jadefox02 at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by jadefox02
Agh forgot to mention I would do the teaaching them songs along the way through out. I also mentioned the scales etc before triads because once they know what a 1 3 5 actually is according to a scale it would make it a bit easier to understand imo.
(For example:
Me: A Chord such as a C-Major is formed out of a triad such as C-E-G which is the 1-3-5 of a major scale.
Student: Whats a major scale?
Me: Oh yeah... forgot to tell you about those.)

Also I'm one of those people who like to play 80's shred rock and stuff so I dont think i would have to refer a student to another teacher who can shred. Unless it was either my guitar teacher who was into it :P

Also dont tear any of my actual opinions apart I'm just a teenager trying to make a few extra bucks.
I didn't say to teach triads before the major scale. I think it's weird to teach modes, "basic scale theory" as you put it, before triads.

I just remembered, don't forget time signatures or keys. Everything looks pretty good though. Have fun teaching.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Ah yeah true... Oh well i'll jsut get out there and teach.

But to the other people its not like I would jsut throw theory at them the whole time because then theyd take a lesson for about two weeks and then find someone else. I'm not that stupid! right?

My Guitars:
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez GRG170DX
Ibanez AW35RECENT
My Amps:
My Toys:
Last edited by jadefox02 at Jul 5, 2008,