Poll: Colber or Colbert?
Poll Options
View poll results: Colber or Colbert?
Colber
24 86%
Colbert
4 14%
Voters: 28.
Why does everyone have a problem with Stephen Colbert pronouncing his name without the T?
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
Because the T is silent?
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
he was born with it pronounced "colbert" but he changed it to a silent T for the lulz.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
I wasn't aware that everyone had a problem with stephen colbert pronouncing his name without the t - it seems he should be able to pronounce it however he likes though, it is his name.
did you read his book?

his family name is pronounced with a t, but when he went to college, he decided to be original and fancy, so when he introduced himself, he dropped it to sound more exotic and exciting.

who cares?

really. It's his name, he can pronounce it the way he wants?

also, why does this deserve an entire thread?

Yeah. The rumors are true. I'm a twat.
He said Colbert only during the writers strike as a joke.

The "T" is silent.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by hen
"this, Is The Colbeeaaar Reporrrrr"

This is the SporRRR Reporrr
I know he changed it to seem more exotic or whatever but he always shows clips of people saying how unamerican it is to pronounce Colbert without the T, and I was wondering if any American people could shed some light on this topic for me.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
Quote by an epic mistake
he was born with it pronounced "colbert" but he changed it to a silent T for the lulz.

Actually, it was a part of "reinventing" himself when he left home for college, but "for the lulz" isn't a bad reason to do anything, especially to make a consonant silent.

One day, during Stephen's brief presidential campaign, when I was wearing my "Stewart/Colbert '08" T-shirt, a girl asked me "Who's Stewart Colburt?" prominently enunciating the t. Not to make fun of her mean-spiritedly, it was rather funny.

EDIT: ^ To answer that question, the silent t sounds French, and we Americans can't stand those cheese-eating surrender monkeys. We pronounce all our letters except the silent ones, dagnabbit!
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Jul 5, 2008,
Quote by smile_man
I know he changed it to seem more exotic or whatever but he always shows clips of people saying how unamerican it is to pronounce Colbert without the T, and I was wondering if any American people could shed some light on this topic for me.

Because Colber is a French sounding name, and we all know how cowardly the French are.
Quote by guitar/bass76
I wasn't aware that everyone had a problem with stephen colbert pronouncing his name without the t - it seems he should be able to pronounce it however he likes though, it is his name.

Stephen Colbert: Fighting for the right to pronounce T's silently everywhere. His mascot is Mr. T
Birthname: Stephen Colbert (with the T)

Character name: Stephen Colbert (with the French "ert" sound)

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
my brother told me once he got enraged and really accented the T's

THIS IS THE COLBERT REPORT
Quote by OrangePossum
my brother told me once he got enraged and really accented the T's

That's true. It's usually in a self-directed phrase like, "Come on, Colbert!" or, "Pull yourself together, Colbert!"
because pernouncing the T would sound stupid

he doesnt pernounce alot of T's

Ex: the Spor Repor! (sport report)
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6